Firebird 2019- new hope for Gibson!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Stefan, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That makes sense, thanks floo.

Floo likes this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    My pool game is better than my guitar face...
    They use this "aligned grain layering" in pool cues too. A traditional solid wooden cue stick or rather the thin shaft, will bend on impact with the ball, throwing the ball left or right of it's trajectory(also called deflection)
    Meucci cue makers were the first to make a flat layered cue that counters this effect. The downside is the player has to constantly align his cue(Meucci uses a dot on the top of the cue), before aligning the shot. Plus since the construction makes the shaft more rigid you get less snap, or a less lively whipping action, affecting the amount of spin you can impart on a ball. It's funny to draw a comparison of a guitar neck with a cue stick, but it's all physics in the end, I reckon.

ponca and Floo like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The true hatred for those tuners lies in the fact that they actually rested on the back of the case, resulting in countless broken headstocks.

ponca, audept and Ricochet like this.
  4. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Wow. You know if I had bought Gibson the first thing I would have done was start a headstock repair division.

MTurner and Floo like this.
  5. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Or maybe a headstock redesign office.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    You mean to come up with more ways for it to break, generating even more business? I like the way you think!

MTurner likes this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    If there's one thing the 9 piece neck achieves, it'll be a lot fewer headstock breaks.

Robbie, new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  8. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    Extremely tempted - I want to get my Allen Collins on!

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    And a volute, very little breakage when they went to maple necks and volute's in the '70s.....i guess people want their weak ass traditional mahogany thougho_O

10. ponca

ponca Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    The only thing I don't get is why, when these guitars cost so much, I'm still expected to break the headstock myself. I know it's an easy mod and I know lots of people are into customizing their guitars exactly the way they want them, but dammit if I'm paying that much for a guitar I want the headstock to be broken right out of the box!

DennisC likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Both my Gibbys have the 70s volute :)

volutes.jpg

wildeman and audept like this.
  12. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Multi-layer necks are totally fine. But most about that, and layering in general, is already said, I won't repeat much of it.

The 90°-layers practically make the wood lose one of its properties that is good sometimes, bad other times, if there are multiple layers, a lot more than 3 or 5, the same number of plies is either-or - this makes a sheet of wood insensitive to the direction a force is applied, it is a more isotrope material than wood itself is. It also prevents it from bending if humidity and/or temperature do change, which they are pretty likely to do in most environments - well, a humidor keeps that constant, but most wooden objects for indoor-use are just somewhere in the living room or the kitchen or so ... so ... not appliable to most of them. Maybe you can live inside a humidor, but I would prefer a regular house or apartment...

Anyway - these look like if Firebird-liking guitarists may be very pleased with what they get. I do like the idea of Gibson finally getting out of the crappiness of the last years way more than the one of Gibson disappearing ... this used to be the biggest guitar-factory in the world, they came up with a lot of stuff we regularly see today or even are a standard item, like PAFish pickups, TOM bridges and therefore standardized bridge supports enabling multiple aftermarket bridges to fit a whole lot of different brands with 2 or 3 versions and therefore are a key element in producing these to a reasonable price without losing money by selling stuff - which is, like ... not exactly what one wants if he starts or keeps a business.

... if they, now they have shown they still can and do ... would offer a nice hollowbody in the 1000 €/$ region, I could literally change my mind about what is likely to be my next purchase in this category (a Guild Starfie III - planned after the next 2 Teles, as I still have ideas for 2 more Teles than the one I have ... I'm glad I only want Hollowbodies and Tele-like guitars, haha, if I wasn't such a onedimensional shidheat I could waste way more money on guitars than I do...), and I see a little reason for hope here. They could - they didn't - they do again, so there's no doubt they still or again can.

Maybe my now former BIL would like one, he usually is a Les Paul-guy but may like the Firebird'S look as well.

Anyway, back to necks: In Franken (northern bavaria, where the residents get angry if you call them bavarians ... region around Nürnberg) it was very, very common to build any stringed instruments (violines to stand-up basses, guitars, anything related and inbetween) with multi-ply necks, it even is kind of a trademark of that region's instruments. You can combine different wood, therefore different wood's properties to something you won't find in nature, depending on thickness, number and the glue used here this is another degree of freedom to make manufacturing more controllable and verastile while you won't need big chunks of flawless wood ... the inner layers don't need any pure optical niceness, they can be constructed and made purely for function, ignoring anything else ... you can add holes in certain positions to change the Eigenschwingungen of the neck, their frequency and amplitude, the distribution of stiffness, etc ... it is also an efficient way of using wood, as the inner layers can look any way nature failed or succeeded in growing nice ones - who cares, it is invisible in the final product.

A great invention for a lot of reasons (I don't even know all of them I guess), and a nice feature in a neck-through Firebird for sure!

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Badass! Rival Sons rock too.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Non reverse for me. The reversed body plays weirdly to me.

larryb likes this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    The non reverse felt more like a Fender...Jag/Jazzy territory....Whereas the reverse is it's own awkward, yet lovely beast......I want another one!!!

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Me too, i used to have a '65 with two P 90s.

larryb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice