Fire stick tv questions?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by nickurso, Jan 7, 2019.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    thinking about giving up my cable and getting a fire stick but I don’t really know a lot about it. Cable is high and I’m paying for a lot of stuff I don’t need.
    I watch mainly movies, HBO, Showtime, cinamax and stars. Very little network tv. I also watch YouTube, Netflix etc.
    Can anyone give me any info about the fire stick set up?
    Thanks in advance

2. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I tried to get rid of cable TV but they whack you on the cable Internet if you do so!

wabash slim, thunder58 and nickurso like this.
  3. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I went without cable from July through November, while I was living in an apartment in DC. i had a firestick, and it was no problem at all. You do have to have your Netflix/Hulu/HBO Go/Amazon Prime subscriptions all paid up, so it actually doesn't end up saving much money, especially since, as jfassett said, they will hike up your internet price as a standalone service.

I didn't miss TV much at all, but i wasn't home very much so it's hard for me to say how accurate that impression is. In New Orleans, you have to deal with Cox, and that was enough to make me switch to DirecTV back when I lived there so I understand and have felt your pain.

nickurso likes this.
  4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I know my internet will go up and I already have Netflix and Amazon’s prime. I still want the movie channels. My incentives are running out with cox so it’s time to switch and we can’t have direct tv mounted to the buildings here. Technically they are condos so I need to do something

5. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I just got "Sling TV" and really like it! Has Axs which shows a lot of music and concerts

6. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Perfect timing on this - if I subscribe to say NetFlix, Hulu, , can't I stream them onto my computer as I do with Prime already - hook up a large external monitor or maybe even the TV as a monitor(never tried that). Buying a Firstick doesn't eliminate paying for subscriptions. I don't get it?????

7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    I tried SLING on a freebie in the fall and hated it, thought it was cluster trying to figure out what was on

8. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY

thunder58 likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do you have a modern TV? Most modern TVs will have YouTube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, etc. as well as LOTS of others. You may not need a firestick. If you have an older TV without these apps, think about whether you plan to get a TV in the future. It may be more efficient to jump and get that nice big TV now, as it will likely have most if not all of those services available already.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes and no. Yes, you can stream it. No, it won't be the same - computers and TVs/monitors do not "handshake" as smoothly as TV-designed devices and TVs. Sometimes the scaling is wrong, or the view is shifted over, or you have black bars, etc. These problems are exacerbated if the TV set up is temporary, as you may need to readjust display settings every time you plug in/out or switch to a different monitor. Keep in mind, also that the firestick is just $40, worth saving yourself a headache (and for me, the complaints from my wife are worse than the work).Or sometimes it works. Granted, I haven't tried this in a few years. Unless you are streaming from your PC hard drive (many people store their videos that way) and have a dedicated home entertainment PC, it is probably more effort than it is worth.

Also, it is easy to bring your firestick or similar device with you traveling (we bring a v1 Google Chromecast on our travels), just plug it in, sign on to WiFi, and you have all your services with you in a package that fits in your pocket.

LA Miles likes this.
  11. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I cut the cord years ago and never looked back. I'd had it with price creep from my provider.
    I have a dedicated media pc, with HDMI out, plugged into my tv. And a small wireless keyboard to run it.
    I went with Teksavvy for my internet. They have only increased my rates a couple times in the last 8 years by modest amounts. Service is good, better than I've experienced from other providers. Unlimited, high speed and competitive pricing with decent service to boot.
    I have Netflix and Prime, Crave recently got cut because they got greedy, and I stream a lot directly from tv providers.
    The one thing you will struggle with is sports. If you're big on watching the game it's hard to find legal streams. I personally don't watch sports unless it's the Olympics. Fortunatley Olympics is the one time tv providers offer live sports streaming for free.
    I did have to change some settings on the tv to get the picture right. There was some overhang on the edges but it was a simple enough fix. My tv is pretty much a dedicated pc monitor now.
    Things may be different depending where you are. I can't imagine you'd have fewer options being in the US market.
    One thing I've noticed since I cut cable. Every time I'm someplace with cable it's still 100's of channels of stuff I don't want to watch.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Last year I took my Verizon Bill ( TV , cable , internet ) and multiplied the bill by 12 ( one year ) .....
    Then I did the same with me Verizon Wireless bill .....
    added them both together ....
    ..... ain't with a nickle , none of it
    That Facebook photo .... " would you give it all up for one year to live here " ? You better believe it brother

13. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Things are slightly different in the UK but I have a Roku box, they do a stick too. It gives me all the regular stuff, Netflix, Amazon, Spotify etc and I can get Sky Sports, Sky Atlantic etc on it through a thing we have called NowTV, which I can't on an Amazon stick.

An observation regarding smart TVs, my friend across the street bought a Samsung smart TV and shortly afterward they stopped updating Netflix for that TV model. When a new version of Netflix came out it was impossible to use. So I would always get the smart features in an external box that I can replace for £40.

14. I ditched cable and satellite back in 2005. The bills were insane, and I didn’t want my children watching tv. However late 2018 comcast installed underground lines in the area. We have had DSL since we moved here, and with the kids old enough to use online games, needed and upgrade in internet speeds. However, the company packages the internet with tv channels. If you wasn’t just internet, they charge a lot for as low speed. To get the same speed i have now, which is no where near what they advertise, i had to get channels. What a scam. I have sat at my tv three times since late October when i got the service. I sit there for about 20 minutes and look at all the channels i dont want to watch. Then i go to bed.

Back to the original post, We have fire stick. Had it before cable came back. Also had Netflix and hulu built in to the tv. With a DSL connection, as long as neighbors were not online and the kids didn’t play games, they are great services. Watch movies uninterrupted, no commercials some cool old TV shows in complete series. But if the internet was slow, it sucked and my kids called NetLag. With the high speed, they booth work great. Better picture than before. If I watch something on TV its usually through one of those services or the fire stick. , on a small TV tucked away upstairs in my livimng room. While a TV big enough to give you a full body suntan sits in the basement with 2300 channels of poop.

15. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    I use an app on my phone (Show Box) to stream to the smart TV or via a Chromecast to the non-smart TV.

16. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    indiana usa
    i use roku. my net bill is 55 a mo and add netflix and hulu and ofcorse prime. been that way for yrs now. always viewed cable as a scam. pay thru the nose to watch endless commercials who are paying the provider to show them to you. and 90% of channels i have no desire to watch.

17. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    This was my experience as well. It made me insane to try and figure it out.

@nickurso Do you have any other cable options? I just switched to FiOS from regular cable, and I got all my premiums as well as more channels than I previously had, bundled it with 400Mbps up and down internet and it's $25/mo less than my old cable bill. It's still crazy expensive, but decidedly better.

I work in the TV industry, so I feel a bit compelled to keep it, but if I didnt have any option save for Spectrum (Time Warner/Cox/etc) I would have a hard time justifying the cost as the service is garbage and shared connection internet pretty much guarantees you'll never see advertised speeds unless you do all your online work between 2-5AM.

18. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I agree with the difficulties of finding things, I really got it for Axs TV for music programming. My turd cable provider doesn't offer Axs!

19. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I much prefer an Apple TV ... better menu structure, one more movie source (iTunes) and I can control it with my iPhone and stream my iPad and iMac to TV. Furthermore the integrated App Store adds more features, Amazon Prime, weather apps, etc..

So even if I would have an Android phone, I would prefer the Apple TV over Fire TV. But for those, who are happy with just Prime and Netflix, the Fire TV is quite ok.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice