Finally installed Seymour D Filtertrons in me Jet

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by blueruins, Jul 18, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    First off...y’all probably know I don’t really fit in here:) I like you guys for you and not necessarily all of your guitars of choice.
    I’ve never heard a demo of anybody’s Filtertrons that made me want one real bad.
    They do look cool though; real cool. I love that chrome.
    Anyhow, I got these Seymour Duncan’s Psyclone Vintage spec Filtertrons as sort of a gift from my Worship Pastor a few months ago for my backup Jet. Took me a long time to get them installed for various indecisive reasons but yesterday I finally did it.
    One thing I always hear in that TV guy demos is his Filtertrons pickups sound too compressed to my ear. Maybe it’s just YouTube algorithms but that is my biggest takeaway whenever I think about pulling the trigger to try them.
    I was curious because their were hardly any demos or propaganda related to the SD Filtertrons, almost like they don’t exist.
    The installation was pretty straightforward, still had to insert some shims and such because my pickup rings had no holes (or holes in the wrong places).
    If you want to know what they sound like, check out the official demo from Seymour Duncan...the hollowbody one...they sound exactly like that.
    I don’t hear that same compressed quality that I hear in a TV Jones but I wouldn’t say I’m in love yet either.
    The neck is pretty darn good and I’m pretty sure I’ll keep it.
    Bridge is usable...sounds a bit like a sterile Telecaster. Sounds like a Filtertron to me.
    Bass is a bit weak and it just doesn’t really have much character to it.
    I do love the way some chords sound with distortion...the “campfire” chords in open position are nice and tight with a “swirly” quality that I really like. Same shapes higher up the neck don’t hang as well for some reason?
    Overall, I think I’m just not a Filtertron player. I’m hoping I’ll be surprised when Inhear them in context on Sunday.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You wouldn't believe how many guitars with Filtertrons I ended up selling.

blueruins likes this.
  3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I have 3 Gretches with filters. The 5120 and 6128 TCG are both equipped with TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus. My Black Falcon has the factory ones and I am not swapping them out as they have a mellower tone than the pups in the other two and I'm really liking it. Could be differences in the bodies that accounts for this, but I'm no expert, I only know what my ears tell me, empirically speaking. Bottom line, I think your ears will tell you what you like best. Regards, Tom.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    blueruins likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Great gift. You must be doing something right. ;)
    Did you get the Vintage or Hot set?
    Is this the video?

blueruins likes this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Forgive me for saying this......and understand my desires come and go in waves.......but I have sorta fallen out of love with Gretsch at the moment. Great guitars, totally cool, just haven’t been flipping my switch. Reading this post has made me realize that almost all the Gretsches I’ve owned have been Filter’Tron guitars. I’ve never actually owned a Proline with Dynas.......and maybe THATS what I should be playing. Hmmm.

DHart, T Bone, Uncle Daddy and 5 others like this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Another NGD soon?

TSims1 and blueruins like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Yeah that's the one. Pretty much what my jet sounds like now (only I don't have the hot licks like my pal up there).I got the vintage set...I really miss the clarity when I stray from single-coils.
    It's a good sound but that's nowhere the style of music I play.
    I'm going to try it in a live setting this weekend and see if it does any magic in a mix.

That might do it. I know SD and TV Jones make a great product but I think this Filtertron tone is great for rockabilly and Chet style. I love to listen to both but it's not what I play.

Before I installed the Filtertron bridge, I had only installed the neck pickup but had the original Blacktop Broadtron still in. The balance was perfect and I think I'll go back to that.

I have heard 2 pickups that have knocked me for a loop from TV Jones: the T-Armonds and the Starwood neck pickup for Telecaster. Nothing else has really grabbed me but you know the value of trying it in person before you make up your mind.

I will get the T-Armonds for my #1 Pro Jet when I can. Thanks to confirmation from the good folks here who reassure me that the overbearing Low E string can be adjusted :D

Like he needed a reason!

Ricochet and TSims1 like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron

Tony ,i thought you once owned a 55 6121 reissue? Or am i mixing you up with some other bad ass picker?!;)

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I had two 6121’s, but both were Filter’Tron-equipped!

JC higgy and blueruins like this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    So I gave the Filtertrons a real world test today and used them for the entire worship set.

I have to say that they sound a lot better at volume than at home through my Champ. The Champ did not like these at all. The Egnater sounded a world better right away.

Still not sold on the bridge...sounds so thin. On the other hand it renders the middle position very usable.

The neck is very full sounding but manages to stay pretty tight.

Anyhow...i’m A little beat from a long day and don’t seem to be able to string together a description of my experience. I just wanted to say that they worked a much better job than I thought they would.

Overall I prefer the more dynamic range of the Telecaster at church but the SD Filtertrons will work just fine for a lot of songs.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Glad to hear they're half-way decent. ;)
    Maybe you need the hot bridge version. It's a shame you didn't install sooner. SD has a 21 day exchange policy.

blueruins likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I can never get my act together for things like that. The hot bridge might be the way to go.

I think the middle position is going to work for 90% of what I do. It sounds really good and the more limited dynamic range compared to the Telecaster made some parts hold together nicely with medium gain.

The thing I dislike most is when I can’t get clarity in chords. I chose the vintage over hot for that reason.

When the sound starts to smear I get very frustrated.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    You're not alone - I never found a Filtertron I liked, no matter whether they were real Gretsch ones, or TV Jones, no matter whether they were in a solidbody or a hollowbody... Not enough snap and twang on the wound strings, and too thin/sharp on the unwound ones - I can see how that would work for strummy mid-gain rock, for Travis picking with really dead/dull bass notes, or for dirty Setzer-style neo-rockabilly - but I play honkytonk country and real 50s rockabilly, and those tones simply call for single coil snap and twang. Thankfully, Gretsch makes some of the best pickups for those tones: Dynasonics!!!

blueruins and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice