Finally found MY Pick

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Stefan, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    DUNLOP Primetone Jazz III XL:

798ED925-84D7-42C9-A3D1-BA73470B2828.jpeg
    This is just fantastic. Just recently I’ve found my way to heavy picks and this is like it‘s made just for me!

11991C14-5C1F-4B0B-BB13-4FCE0054F900.jpeg
    Look at the edges- so great. It has a fantastic bright tone, it‘s exactly and fast and impossible to let it slip away.
    „They're made from Ultex for maximum durability and tonal definition, with hand-burnished sculpted edges for fast, articulate runs and effortless strumming.“

40194154-95AC-4F4D-8059-7AD75EACE4C1.jpeg
    Those picks aren‘t cheap but man, they‘re worth it. What’s your favorite pick?

2. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    same gauge, but large triangle smooth finish (for mandolin or acoustic guitar when I'm not using a Blue Chip)

for electric, Primetone .88 in the standard 351 shape: nice speed bevel, just the right amount of give for 10s, and the don't wear out or break.

3. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When I do use a flat pick I like the Dunlop PrimeGrip 0.71

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Herco Flex 50's,mostly.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Same. I buy them in bulk.

JC higgy likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Blue chip for me!

7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yes, I‘ve heard they‘re great. Unfortunately too expensive -50€/1- to give them a try without knowing wich one to try :(

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I'm partial to the V-picks Jalapeno. Pretty pricey as well but I researched first to make sure it was what I wanted and has worked out well.

V-PICKS-Jalepeno-Mandolin-Guitar-Pick2-150x150.jpg

Robbie likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like the picks I've found sweeping up the stage after gigs. SRV, Jerry G, Gatemouth, and many others. Of course, these are stashed away in a jar.
    I like Fender 357 heavy picks in moto---easy to find if you drop them. I still have a couple of ancient tortoise shell picks. They're my favorites, but I don't use them for obvious reasons. They're in the jar as well, along with a piece of real ivory from the 1929 piano I learned on.
    Anymore, I rarely use picks and just rely on fingers.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Unfortunately, since I have some nerve damage in my hands, I can't hold on to any flat picks any more so have gone to thumb picks, which took a bit of getting used to. They are great for rockabilly with Travis picking and I can still kind of use them for flat picking when needed again with some getting used to. My favorite so far is the heavy Slick Pick(white). Second choice is Dunlop as per Tommy Emmanuel........believe me, that's the only thing I have in common with him.

11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’ve wanted to try those Primetones but it seemed it a bit of hype considering the Ultex are already great picks. Downside; Ultex are toenail yellow and Primetones are beef bouillon brown.

I dip the round end of my Ultex in a few crazy fingernail polish colors so that I can find them when I drop them or set them down.

I like the Jazz III size Ultex for everyday playing. I love how low friction they are; smooth as glass. Plus, they are literally indestructible as far as I can tell. I used to play Dick Dale’s Miserlou just about every night of the week and all that happened was the edges got a little more glossy. I’ve had some of mine in rotation for 6 years and they’re as good as new....incredible.

The little red Jazz III’s do have a better tone in my opinion. Warmer with less pick attack. The Ultex is a little ticky and it glides so smoothly across the string that it doesn’t transfer as much energy. The problem with the red Jazz III’s is that the edges go all shaggy after a few hours of play.

It always astounds me how awful the black Jazz III’s sound...one of life’s mysteries?

I like Dunlop Nylons @ .74 for acoustic strumming but the Ultex works great for flat-picking also.

12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I'm mainly a thumb/fingerpicker, also use the Dunlop thumbpick, but I carved some of the length off and like it better.

Gregor likes this.
  13. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    While I don't use uber-heavy picks (2.5mm & up), I can't really use anything less than 1mm anymore. 1 to 2mm is where I have lived for years... and I blame it squarely on being a mandolin player.

My favorites are 1-1.5mm made of buffalo horn... sturdy enough for melodic string work, but not so heavy that they inhibit full strumming, which I still do a lot.

Anything 3mm or heavier, and I feel like I'm strumming with a brick.

14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I've bought so many Reverend soft springs, Nocturne pedal products and strings from Strings and Beyond that I have a large bag of free picks, probably more than I'll ever need.

GreatGretsch, pmac11 and Stefan like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was always using music store heavy picks or little stubbies and big stubbies at 3 mm, but once I got bluechip I am ok with 45 to 60 in their sizes. smaller than a mm I think but they are stiff and handle like a thinker pick. I would love to try a 100 which is over a mm but like was pointed out they are expensive. I have had these for around three years and guard then like gold.

16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

For acoustic-electric, I like the feel, grip, and tone I get with the Dunlop Max Grip .73 mm:

upload_2019-10-6_0-14-40.png

For electrics, I go back and forth between Fender 351 celluloid medium and heavy picks. I go back and forth because I only gotten into using the heavy picks in the last year, and they're still growing on me. Gradually, they're getting more comfortable.

MichaelHargis and pmac11 like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The quickest way to get used to a new pick is a couple of hours of tremolo practice a day until that gets easy, then you're golden!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    blueruins and tartanphantom like this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Just about to buy half a dozen V-Picks to try them out.

Gretschman2 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Since the day I picked up the guitar some 45 some odd years ago Unknown-1.jpeg

20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here's a few I've collected over the years ...... the pick that's printed " Alto Music " is the one that's like the standard Fender . Bought a gross of them when I was 16 IMG_2403.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice