Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Finally changed the HS Filtertrons in my Black Falcon to...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Mar 19, 2018.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Some of you may remember that I wanted to change the HS Filtertrons in my Black Falcon PE.

The HS Filtertrons are very cool pickups actually. To my ears they have a very greasy, lower fi, growl that is very cool, which, for me seemed to work very well with fuzz and overdrive, but:
    I wanted more clean tone clarity, chime, note separation, and more punch out of the wound strings, and more cutting ability to get through a mix in general.

I ended up changing to Brian Setzer signatures, after some deliberation. I'm happy to report that I think I scored a major direct hit daddy-o's! My Falcon was sounding so damn good I couldn't put the guitar down yesterday!

I also changed the stock rocking bar brass bridge to an ABM2400, the newer version. I had bought one on discount, and I thought I'd try it. I also straightened the truss rod from around .010" to ..008". I use 11 gauge strings, and the only cost is that now with the increased string tension from the flatter relief makes the guitar just a tad challenging to play, and I'm debating going down to 10's maybe, which I generally use in my 25.5" scale length guitars.

So, these changes seem to have made the guitar brighter and tonally more complex acoustically, with a bit more sustain I think. This could be the bridge on its own, but I think more tension on the strings from straightening the neck takes some "thunk" out of any guitar and replaces it with more "ping and zing" in a good way.

Plugged in, it sounds like a fooking T Rex of Gretsch Chimey Growliness! I way dig it! Like Dieter used to say: "I'm happy as a little gurrrl"

I was looking at a picture of Sylvain Sylvain's White Falcon..and Duffy's White Falcon...both without pickguards...and I decided to try the sans pick guard look too: I dig it! Check it out:

[​IMG]

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    She is a beauty!!!! Glad you are enjoying her. I left my White Falcon stock. I really dig the HS Filters. I did have Setzer Sigs in a cabronita...and I did not like them in that Tele, but I bet they are super in that Falcon. She looks great without the pickguard too!

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  3. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thanks! Yeah, the reason I deliberated for so long before trying the Setzers was because I knew not everyone dug the pickups, especially the bridge pickup, more especially in certain guitars..but I just had this feeling deep inside..plus it seemed that in a Falcon people generally said that the Setzers did sound good! So I went with it. I also tend to use the middle position 80% of the time, with the neck rolled off a smidge, and most agreed that the Setzers excelled in this position. But the bridge by itself is also right on target for what I want the guitar to do for me. This Falcon seems like it crushes everything in its path for me right now. I think the extra clarity and brightness also helps when I turn on my H9 multi-delays and other effects which I tend to use quite a bit lately for what I'm currently working on.

I'm glad the HS filters are working for you, they are cool to be sure.

larryb likes this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I wish I still had my white bird
    :(....The only thing in this entire pic that I still have is my Tele, all the others have been sold or traded....Always changing out my gear..lol! Out of all the wonderful Gretsches I have owned...the Falcon destroyed all others!!!!
    white6136.jpg

5. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I hear you about the carousel of changing gear!

But man oh man...what a cool Tele! I totally dig that color! SeaFoam green? On a single ply guard (?) very cool! And a matching headstock on a rosewood fretboard is my favorite for Fenders in general..too bad Fender doesn't do it more often in my humble opinion!

Anyway, you should get yourself another Falcon :D

RomanS and larryb like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks!! Yeah she is a 2009 American Standard Tele. I love her more than anything...almost anything..lol! I would love another Falcon...oddly enough, the one Gretsch that is really calling my name right now is the 2420 Streamliner. I am really digging the PAF tones coming out of that thing along with the non-Bigsby vintage tail....it is just speaking to me for some reason, not to mention the price tag. Probably will be my next Gretsch

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I like the look without the pickguard! Congrats on the upgrade to suit your ears!

8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I love the Setzer Sigs. I have them in my Panther, my 6120JRBS, my Annie Junior, and as a bridge pickup in my modified MYRII. They sound great to my ears wherever I use them.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cool, looks good. :) like my Black Phoenix(=Falcon) which came stock with the TV Jones BS filters. I didn't change a thing except remove the pickguard and change out the Titanium Compton for a Molybdenum one. Neither is a good choice for this guitar but they're the only 9.5" radius Comptons I have. The 25.5" scale and trestle bracing really needs a brass bridge to warm up the sound.

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Very cool. Do you happen to know the neck dimensions of your Tele? The 2420...Is that the LP looking one with the V tailpiece? I’m intrigued by design as well, I like LPs too.

11. BuckoBell

BuckoBell Electromatic

Oct 18, 2015
    What are you doing with the FilterTrons? I'm looking for a chrome bridge.

12. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Do you have the Setzer Sig. Falcon? Stock BS filters and trestle bracing sounds like a Setzer Falcon. Those are super neat.

I hear you regarding the brass for the bridge..I’m surprised that your Falcon has a 9.5” radius, aren’t most 12”? Unless it is a Setzer model, I think he does prefer 9.5”. Are you going to go Compton brass, or serpentune/bar brass, etc ?

I’m thinking of getting a serpentune brass to try out, for variety’s sake. Although the ABM is sounding great to me.

13. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I could sell them, but mine are Gold!

I have a chrome TVJ neck I could let go.

14. BuckoBell

BuckoBell Electromatic

Oct 18, 2015
    I've got a FT neck in the bridge position right now. I'm hoping a proper bridge unit will mix better with the neck FT. Thanks anyway.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes and no. The official Gretsch designation is a [inhale] Gretsch G6136SLBP Brian Setzer-signature "Black Phoenix" [exhale], which is basicly a rodded Falcon to Brian's specs.
    http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/...dy-with-bigsby-tv-jones-pickups-black-lacquer

I have a preference for Comptons myself, but I'm sure the Serpentune or ABM perform similarly.

16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    You are most welcome, good luck and good hunting!

BuckoBell likes this.
  17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Oh yeah those are way cool. So you didn’t like the adjustomatic on it? I’ve never had an adjustomatic with Bigsby so I’m curious how the thing even works. The whole bridge unit rocks back and forth correct?

With the relatively increased string tension of 11’s and a pretty flat neck relief my ABM still rocks a bit despite the rollers which I’ve checked and roll fine (I’ve also treated them with that DeOxit stuff). The guitar stays in tune pretty well and the tremolo action works very well, but I’m curious if the bridge will rock less if I go to 10’s.

Then again the Comptons and tuneomatics rely on the bridge rocking (correct?), so getting the bridge to rock less may be a pointless exercise.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don't like stock adjustomatics, but I'm fine with quality pieces from Schaller and Gotoh. My preference is for Comptons though, even on non Gretsch, non Bigsby guitars.

I never noticed much rocking of the bridge with trem use TBH(10s or 11s depending on my mood).
    AFAIK Only the rocking bar bridge is supposed to rock, but who knows...

19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    g24.jpg
    Gretsch 2420

2009 Fender specs:

Neck: Maple, modern C-shaped, (gloss headstock face with satin urethane finish on back of neck)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood 9.5" radius (241 mm)
    Scale length: 25.5"
    No. of frets: 22 medium-jumbo
    Nut: Melamine, 1.68" (42.8 mm)
    Pickups: American Tele single-coil pickups
    Controls:
    Master Volume, Master Delta Tone
    Pickup Switching
    3-Position Blade:
    1. Bridge Pickup,
    2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
    3. Neck Pickup
    Bridge: Chrome-plated bridge plate with new American Standard bent steel saddles
    Machine Heads: Fender Deluxe staggered cast/sealed tuning machines
    Hardware: Chrome
    Pickguard: 3-ply parchment

Unique Features:
    Painted headstock, tinted neck,
    bent steel saddles with elongated string slots, chrome-plated brass bridge plate with extra mounting screws, thinner undercoat finish for improved body resonance, tinted neck ( satin finish on back, gloss finish on front), Gloss finish on headstock front with buffed fingerboard,
    rolled fretboard edges, staggered tuning keys

Case: molded Fender/SKB Case with TSA locks, glass-reinforced nylon trigger latches, and form fitted plush interior
    Strings: Fender Standard Tension Bullet ST3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-203

Accessories: Cable, Strap, Polishing Cloth, Tremolo Arm, Wrenches

BorderRadio and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  20. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Oh wow, I wasn’t aware of that Gretsch model...super cool! You should get it and do a review! :D

Thanks for those Tele specs!
    I’m wanting a Tele in that color that I’d put a cream guard on, with a matching headstock. I’d prefer one with a slighter fatter neck though if I can help it.