Filtertrons - Medium Overdrive Pedal.

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Funky54, Jul 5, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Another vote for the Nocturne Detroit Casket Fluid Drive. Just don't let your guitar buddies borrow it, you'll never get it back from my experience!

nickurso and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    For clarity, is an OCD a medium drive to you?

3. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    It probably could be. I tried one a few years back and didn’t care for it, but I was concentrated on what made the Les Paul Sound best.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Hmm, I really like the OCD but I’ve been accused of being a Fulltone fan boy LOL.
    Love my old pre-mosfet Fulldrive2.

I have the Butah as well. Haven’t used it much but it stacks great with other pedals. I paired it with a Proco Rat but maybe that’s a bit much. Maybe with a Klon, Timmy type pedal?

Nobels ODR1, arguably best TS on the planet, or maybe one of the many clones/derivatives like the J Rocket GTO.
    I like J Rocket pedals. Out of the ones I have I would probably recommend you look at the Flex drive, to me that pedal was instant Malcolm if that means anything.

Just trying to give you some ideas.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah I'd call OCD medium gain and from listening to the videos I'd call Detroit Casket low gain.
    Everyone has their own def'n and needs on gain levels.

OCD is certainly a great option if you want a very transparent overdrive, low noise and true bypass.

I only use pedals for delivering tones that my tube amps can't do.
    With modern Mesa Boogie amps that doesn't leave much left :)

Ricochet likes this.
  6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Sparkledrive voodoolabs transpent as you will ask yourself why you pay for so much cleans. But Good pedal actually.

7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I too use a 65 Vox AC 30 and I think it handles pedals very well. I think the guitar & the speakers you use have more affect on the way a pedal sounds than the amp.
    Ampeg Gemini amps are said to sound terrible with pedals but I've found that to be false also. I use old Jensen, Celestion blue & silver and vintage 30 speakers and my pedals sound good through all my amps.

Funky54 likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Hard to find good representative demos of the J Rockett Flex drive. These ones are OK, sort of. ;)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    j.s.c likes this.
  9. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    It is medium to heavy. I tried one a ways back but for my Paul. While it was good there were others I liked more. At the time the plan was for universal pedals that worked well for both guitars. The pedals I have do... but at drastically different settings between guitars. So now I’m looking for just 1 dedicated medium Gain for Gretsches.

Ricochet likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I dealed a J Rockett Design "The Dude" which is supposed to be one of the best approach of what a Dumble Amp is...

I must say that it is a very good sounding pedal, absolutely no bad tone from her at any setting, from subtle to full drive. I took her in order to have a comparison with my Dumble based/modded amp project, when I finish it (I hope this summer, for the next season... I hope :confused:) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obtaining subtle, light, medium or heavier to full drive is very consistent on The Dude : no weak tone, no blunt decay. :cool:

That said, it doesn't give that "violin-like tone à la Santana" as good as my ProCo The RAT...

A+!

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Great Bruno! Sell me that pedal!

I'm also looking for a super mild overdrive that works for recording/bedroom volumes. Clean while soft playing and a bit dirty when you dig in. Nothing wild, just the clipping sweet spot of a Brownface at reasonable volumes. Most pedals sound unsatisfying to me. Or should I go with a Dyno Brain? I'm playin my Tellys more than my Gretsch btw...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  12. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    The OCD is also my favorite. It's fairly transparent and very amp-like.
    I use two of them; one set light and one set heavy. Stack them and you get three degrees of overdrive.
    [​IMG]
    S Mac

13. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I second and third the Ubangi, especially in combination with a Brain. I also like a Timmy for low to medium gain and it gives a wide range of EQ.

And here's the most underrated pedal of all - Boss OD3. I really like the OD3 a lot.

A lot of this depends on your amp. My Vibrolux Reverb always responds to the OD3 with a good bit of drive even at it's lowest setting. But my Brownface gives quite a bit more latitude.

(All of this referenced to my Gretsch guitars...)

14. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    There is nothing better than the Detroit Casket for light to medium od. The next best thing out of all the od's I have owned would be the Timmy. The casket is sooooooo much more responsive. Demo videos for me that are the best are ones that show exactly how the pedal works. Great playing and studio quality demos are fun to watch but leave me wondering because they don't sound much different than well other great playing studio quality demos. Out of all the demos I watched , this demo is the reason I bought the casket short to the point no BS or I am a real pro player look at me, and you will never be able to sound this good in a million years video. :) Some of those guys could make a turd sound wonderful played through a 60's transistor radio that is how talented they are. Tavo has done something special with this one it can be dialed in to any of my guitars regardless of the pickups or amp.
    Tavo needs to get this video on youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/thenocturnebrain/videos/o.1446100072328701/1074125466129120/?type=2&theater

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Once used a strat into an OD3 into a Vibrolux for tracking. It was a glorious sound.

stevo likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  17. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree with @TSims1 completely, I have both on my board
    8FA73313-1749-43CE-AF1C-8E807A7A0FC1.jpeg

audept likes this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I use a zen drive clone with my 2422 Gives a hollow body OD tone but provides very nice sustain and great tone. Granted I don’t run filtertrons in my Guitar but they are low gain PAFs.

19. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    This makes me want one. Lovely tone.

20. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    You can go to "the nocturne brain pedal conspiracy" on facebook and scroll a bunch and maybe you will find the video FACEBOOK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I click on it and it does go to facebook. I hate facebook and quit it over a year ago. Anyway I have told Tavo he needs to up load that one to YouTube. Also one done by Setzer impersonator Anthony Bambino is also a very very good demo and it is not on YouTube just F'n facebook. You can't find specific videos for products on facebook. Tavo you have been told if you want to sell some more caskets get both those videos on YouTube.

maybe this https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446100072328701/permalink/2315079768764056/

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice