Filtertrons... fill me in

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by swivel, May 14, 2018.

1. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Using a Gretsch 'Tron in the neck position. It's a modern new 'Tron. I like it when adjusted up close, but when it's adjusted close to the strings I find the string hitting the pole screws "popping". When I back off, it's a bit too muddy or indistinct.
    I'm going to try screwing the pole screws down all the way, but really they aren't up much anyway. Do I just need to go to a hotter 'Tron or a TV J model so I can back off and to resolve this?
    The heads on the screws are pretty big, was thinking maybe I should buy some steel allen screws and replace them... might solve it.

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome here.
    I would think that your pickups are hotter than standard Filtertrons. So a swap would not make all too much sense. imho.
    Anyway. Here are the correct installation measurements (from the TV Jones site):
    [​IMG]

swivel likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think mine is a standard Filtertron....?

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk swivel!

Is there any way that you could take a good picture of the guitar and pickups, just so we know the specific pickups we are discussing? Thanks.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT swivel!

swivel likes this.
  6. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks guys! Well.... here's the deal, I'm doing more Duo stuff right now and playing acoustic electrics. But my old hands wear out playing acoustic all night. So right now I'm trying to decide what minimal $ archtop to buy. Looking at Gretsch long scales (25.5) and others... I just like the longer scale. In the mean time I revised my small body acoustic for a soundhole pickup and bought a new Filtertron to use. I like it. But I think I should have bought a hotter pickup than the standard Tron neck pickup, so I can adjust it down a bit. Here are pics:
    (The pic of the Guild is with a HB in it but it now has the Tron. )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, swivel!
    Starfish WelcomeDoor Mat.jpg

swivel likes this.
  8. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Welcome. Turn them back down flat and set to 3/16 under the E strings.

swivel likes this.
  9. LivingMyDream

That's an interesting project swivel. You are right that the Filtertron is a lower output pickup, and mounting them might be a little tricky, depending on whether your mount for the humbucker can be easily adapted.

As to an archtop, you might look at a used Gretsch 5120. It doesn't have classic Filtertrons, but there are many here that consider the 5120 to be a very nice hollowbody, and it's not tough to do a pickup mod that makes it a very special archtop.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    MTurner likes this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I find nickel plated string help, Gibson brite wires being my choice. Pure nickel are warmer and a bit less defined.

11. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Looking at a 3161 for the 25.5 scale and not too big a body. What do you think about those? I already mounted the Filtertron in the guild, just made a couple of brass Z brackets and it fits right in the HB hole.

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What kind of strings are on that guitar?

13. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Right now steel/nickel 12-50

14. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    So what about a hotter pickup. Fidelitron Bridge? TV Jones or...? I tend to like hotter pickups in single coils anyway... so might here too.

15. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's my 3161 modded with TV Jones Classic/Classic+ pickups, Bigsby B6C V-cut, Compton Titanium Tone Chamber bridge, Switchcraft output jack, new CTS pots and wiring harness. I really regret selling this guitar, the 16" thin body and 25.5" scale is a great combination.
    G3161 021.jpg G3161 019.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    swivel likes this.
  16. LivingMyDream

Swivel, I don't have any direct experience with the 3161, so audept would be a good resource on that guitar, since he's owned one. Since you are looking for clarity, I wouldn't think it would be what you want with it's stock pickups (warmer cross between humbucker and Filtertron), but switching out the pickups, as audept did, it might be just what you want.

17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    For what it’s worth, I nearly traded for a stock 3161 a few years ago. In that guitar, the Gretschbuckers were much clearer than they are in my 5120.

I still regret not doing that deal.