Filtertron in a Stratocaster- I think I'm in love!

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by gjohnson441496, Oct 8, 2019.

I recently got an inexpensive strat. I got it to put a Stratocaster in it, which i did. I believe it currently has Texas something or other pickups. I need the middle pickup for the sound i am after, but now wonder if i could fit a filtertron in the neck position, and not interfere with the middle pickup. Hhhmmmmmm,,,,,,

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Thanks for reminding me :)

2. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    I don't know much about Filtertron pups but I wonder if it makes a difference being that these are Tim Shaw designed?

3. AmpGuy

AmpGuy Newbie

Jul 29, 2017
    Minden, NV
    I bought a used Masterbuilt Fender Tele Custom several years ago that was somewhat outrageous in its cosmetics: Gretsch green sparkle finish front, back and sides; gold diamond plate aluminum pickguard; and gold/blue/green Sperzel locking tuners. The body is ash. The neck pickup was just meh - a Duncan Fat Cat (P90 in a humbucker format), but the bridge pickup was very nice - a Custom Shop Broadcaster. Over the years I tried different neck pickups (BKP Mississippi Queen P90, then a Mule humbucker) and worked to make the cosmetics more tasteful. It all came together yesterday when I installed a TV Jones Classic Filtertron neck pickup and a Gretsch-like silver sparkle pickguard, and changed the multicolor Sperzel tuners for a set with nickel finish. Most importantly, the TV Jones Classic sounds so good - musical with character, and it works perfectly with the Fender Broadcaster bridge pickup. The electronics include an S1 switch that I use to flip the phase of the TVJ Classic, and I love that out-of-phase sound with the Broadcaster as well. It's like having a NGD all over again, but with a Gretsch-caster! Even with an ash body, this guitar is not too bright and the TVJ Classics have "body."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    grey and red 014.jpg PRO PIC1.jpg Here are two that I put together. The red is a classic , and the black one had Duotrons. I miss the dual duotron and may replicate it again down the line.

new6659 likes this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its beautiful!
    One reason the Ash's top end is slightly attenuated is from the finish. Even when carried in lacquer, metal flake will blanket to a degree. And it requires more coats to bury flake. Dont let @nickurso see this, he's all about green metal flake :)

nickurso likes this.
  6. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    I've shown pics of this pretty monster before, so do forgive the redundance.
    This Strat started life as a standard Highway One (Fender's entry level US production) and I bought it used to try to turn it into a Swiss army knife guitar, that could do it all.
    IMG_3181.jpeg

The most significant changes were the pickups. The two single coils are Bill Lawrence-made Keystones, that pack a little more punch than the lukewarm pickups that Fender originally fitted. The original bridge pickup was a Fender Atomic humbucker, one of the wimpiest and most insipid humbuckers I have ever heard.
    IMG_3257.jpeg

So I got Jaime at the Creamery to make me a humbucker-sized (something that TV Jones didn't do at the time) Filtertron, with similar output to that of a Powertron, but without the Powertron's compression and with the harmonics and the clarity of a TVJ Classic. Maybe the extra space under the hood helped, but Jaime definitely came through for me
    This Strat was my gigging go-to guitar for a couple of years.
    Cheers,

7. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    How about a Hilo'tron in a Tele, with a Strat Fat '50s bridge pickup?

[​IMG]

Dennison, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That would be a perfect match to my jet

0A423EA7-338F-4FAD-BA32-8CB2F5A48A50.jpeg

new6659 likes this.
  9. tolm

tolm Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Certainly an interesting looking Strat but I’m pretty sure I read the specs somewhere as a standard Fender humbucker in a filter from style cover?

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sadly Scott Weiland died in my town, waiting to play a gig at the local event center.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice