Filtertron in a Stratocaster- I think I'm in love!

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by gjohnson441496, Oct 8, 2019.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/elect...es-flame-koa-top-stratocaster/0176503821.html

2. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I love my Gretsch guitars but my heart belongs to Fender.

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I have to admit the same issue. I love different guitars for the different look, the different tones, and the different feel of the guitar. In the end, though, a good Fender Strat has always be special to me.

As to the Rarities Strat, I can sure appreciate what it can do, but I wouldn't see one in my future.

4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    The only true Fender I have is a 95 Tacocaster, however I adore my Squier 72 Thinline whatever it is as well as my beloved first 'real' electric guitar, an 88 Squier Tele. Back when I was younf I kind of Frrankensteined it with a Buller Strat neck and slapped an oddball humbucker in the neck position. Can't remember what I pulled the humbucker out of...some pawn shop special.

LivingMyDream and gjohnson441496 like this.
  5. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    A part of me really, really wants one of those. My only beef with it is that I find it difficult to look at a Strat that doesn't have angled pickups. It just looks "off" when they are all "straight". But, maybe, just maybe, in this case I could overlook that flaw.

:D

LivingMyDream and gjohnson441496 like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    this is #gretschmafia approved :)

drmilktruck and gjohnson441496 like this.
  7. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Electromatic

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Lol

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I want a strat with hilos or dynas or t armonds and a Bigsby!

gjohnson441496 and DHart like this.
  9. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Electromatic

Nov 9, 2015
    Valrico, Florida
    Awesome, now I want one, might have to drop these pickups into my next build.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ok.. I'm dumping my Suhrv60s for Filters

gjohnson441496, DHart and Ricochet like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I've been a fan since this guy was a young scrapper playing at Anaheim Vineyard Church in Orange County, CA w his Brothers. Who also owned the Costa Mesa Mesa Boogie store in the mid 90s and sold me my first Mesa Tremoverb. :) They also were buddies w STP, one of my fav bands. Here's shawn and lonnie (percussion) sitting in w them back w Stone Temple Pilots unplugged on MTV.

gjohnson441496 and Ricochet like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I think I saw somewhere that Mr. TV Jones’ favorite guitar is his strat with Filtertrons.
    I could be mistaken.

I’d love to try one someday.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Too cool, STP were my fav grunge band! I might even have "discovered" Shawn through you, not sure...The last few years he has turned in to one of my Youtube favourites. While obviously a capable player he has a nerdy awkwardness which I find quite endearing.

14. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I played that model in TrueTone last Saturday. It's pretty darn nice. It did, however, remind me why I don't play Strats anymore. I kept bumping the pickup switch and volume knob. But other than that, really, really nice.

15. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I'm all OVER this idea. :) Love it!

But, don't pay Fender for a Filter-Strat... save your money and make your own! ;)

I love to mod my guitars - and really LOVE the sound of Filters, Hilo's, T-As in different guitars, Gibsons, Epiphones, Fenders! Woo Hoo!

First, I put TV-HTs in my Gibson ES-339. Fantastic result - amazing tones.

THEN, HS Filters went into my D'Angelico hollow body.

Then I moved those HS Filters to an ES-Les Paul... and put T-Armonds in the D'Angelico!

I must say that I'm just CRAZY about the tones of the Filters with 1M pots in my ES-Les Paul. I cannot STOP reaching for this particular guitar - among a lot of other very nice options. I hit a real winning combination with this guitar. And, it was NOT expensive!
    [​IMG]

Now, I have a Gretsch Hilo'tron neck pickup inbound from Rocky at StreetSounds which is going in the neck position of one of my Teles.

Only a matter of time until one of my Strats gets a TV Classic or Hilo'tron or Filter'tron in one or more positions. Fantastic idea.

I'm the kind of guy who would put THREE Tele bridge pickups in one of my Strats! Yes, you read that right. Sounds great, too!

[​IMG]

Kind of following up on my customized "Triple Tele"

[​IMG]

Did I mention, I love exploring various tone pallets, modding guitars with various kinds of pickups? It is a sickness of mine, I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  16. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    TV Classic sounds great in the bridge position of that Strat. (Strat bridge pickup is arguably the weak spot on many Strats.) I've tried a variety of PAF-style humbuckers in the bridge positions of some of my Strats and never quite "loved" the result. I think a Filter in that spot IS the "hot ticket" on a Strat.

And, I think a TV Classic, Hilotron, or Filtertron in the neck position of a Strat or Tele would sound awesome, as well - with a 1M pot to keep the highs flowing freely!

I will be testing a Hilotron in the neck of a Tele SOON!

Ricochet, gjohnson441496 and Waxhead like this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  18. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I've posted this pic before but thought I'd join in anyway. These aren't pukka Gretsch pickups but this isn't a Gretsch guitar either and this was just a fun project that could be reversed by refitting the original pickguard assembly in a few minutes.
    However, this has now become one of my go-to gigging guitars -- I'll take this and one other, probably a Tele or a Gretsch.
    20170220_150254.jpg

DHart likes this.
  19. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Same guitar, different (earlier) project. The mini switch taps the humbucker.
    20170201_140459.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice