Filter envelopes auto wahs

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have a micro Q-tron which is quite fun. Sadly it isn’t stereo in comes the Source Audio Spectrum stereo and it looks pretty cool for a filter pedal, it certainly goes beyond what my micro Q-Tron does.

Does anyone here have any experience with one of these in particular. All the source audio stuff looks fairly high quality. Thanks!

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ..... and it looks and sounds like a fun pedal . Honestly I never knew a wah-wah pedal ...well ... came in a pedal . Thought they were all that foot / back and forth motion . Looking at them with interest ...

ruger9 likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I know right! I went with the Qtron originally because I didn’t want to use the back and forth wah pedal. There are just some things a auto way envelope filter will do better but then again you won’t get the randomness of a foot controller well not the same way anyway. With good picking dynamics you can make the auto wah seem more random it retain some of the control control freaks like me like.

hcsterg likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Definitely check out the Source Audio pedals, they seem to specialize in envelope filters.
    Even the older Soundblox 2 pedals are worth checking out. You can find them used for decent prices. 100 bucks?

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    MicroQ is a cool pedal. It's the one I would likely still have, had it not broken on me (I have had several quality/durability issues with EHX pedals, I won't buy them anymore). Just a little advice... most "envelope filters"/"auto wahs" sound like Jerry Garcie/funky: they are very quacky. I wanted one that sounded deeper, more like an actual wah pedal. The ones I found that do this are:

Boss AW-3 (altho I did not keep this one because it drops low end)
    MXR BASS Auto-Filter
    Lovepedal Rubber Chicken - this is the one I still have, it's perfect for me.

the one I always wanted, but was never willing to pay for, was the TWA Little Dipper.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. What’s the goal of the sound? I have been through a few. Keely, micro, and the boss years ago. The original Mutron nails the Garcia sound for sure. Originals are expensive, and the reissues made by the same guy but under a different name are still a few hundred. If you want funk, then try a few different pedals. One issue they have is they sound different with each guitar and each pickup on the guitar. You might get one set up with say the bridge pickup, which seems to work the best for AutoWahs, but when you switch to the neck, its a different sound. They are very touch sensitive. So what ever set up you have for once guitar needs to be adjusted on the next.

That being said, i eventually went with a guitar that had a OBEL. On board effects loop. Its an additional output that sends the signal from the pickups at full volume, through the effects pedals, then back to the guitar , then to the volume knob then out. This allows the full volume of the pickups to interact with any pedal , regardless of where your guitars master volume is set. So in the case of autowahs, you can get that sound dialed in with the pedal , and still achieve it at a lower volume by turning down the guitars volume. If you plugged straight into a AutoWah and set the sound, as soon as you lower the guitars volume the effect doesn’t work the same. A few companies make guitars with obels, or you can install one yourself if you can follow diagrams and can solder. Eastwood just released a Garcia type model worth it, and Phred guitars has many types with that built in. Bottom line, you need two cables out of your guitar, one to the amp, and one stereo cable to go to and from the pedal board.

Henry likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No goal, other than stereo. I have a ball messing with the micro Qtron but I want a stereo pedal my first choice would be the original mutron but that isn't happening but the Spectrum seems to have all the tweaking I could want. I do however like the loop idea in the guitar. I might look into that. What I do is usually put the Q first in my signal chain and everything else is after it. I don't play live which is why I don't mind tweaking between guitar swaps and why I am working on my amps top tabletop pedalboard. I also found I tend to have only the Q and maybe the jangle bok or Mystery brain/JrBarnyard and maybe the Bigsky in that particular setup. Often just the filter.

9. TubeLife

TubeLife Electromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Sweet!! I love the OBEL, I have it on my Phiga Eagle and it’s perfect for the qtron, and triggering the filter. I haven’t been playing a lot of Dead lately but I know I’ll get back into it. The new Micro Tron IV is supposedly very close to the original Mu’s.

10. I think i have a micro Q. Used it a few times with a acoustic set up i have for a three piece. Problem is every time i use it I channel Garcia, and it doesn’t always mix with the popish format they play.

Bertotti and TubeLife like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The only ones ive had were the DoD fx25's, they are really cool pedals and super basic to use.........come to think of it, I'm about ready for another one.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I had one acquired in trade that was very cool. I sold it as I didn't really want one. Then I missed it. I bought 2 others and I didn't like them at all. One a Boss. But the original one sounded just like a wah without the size and trouble. I think it was an old MXR but not sure...

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have a bunch of Wah (treadle pedal version), a BassBalls EHX and a Mini Q-Tron (big box folded sheet metal).

The BassBalls has a tone and dirtyness of its own, but I prefer the Mini Q-Tron, more versatile, and premium to make that "Disco Qwack" with any guitar. :cool:

The wah foot-pedal is another beast, nothing to do with the auto-wah : they do not do the same job. The wah foot-pedal is Soul spirit : think "Shaft" (Isaac Hayes), "Papa was a rollin'stone" (Temptations), "Wah-wah Blues 1 & 2" (Earl Hooker), just to name a few...

But it's me, OK ? :D

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I never seen a Q-Tron but can highly recommend this 3 Leaf Audio Proton.
    Best and most versatile envelope filter I've heard.
    Sounds great with any instrument also.

https://www.3leafaudio.com/shop/proton

Bertotti likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There can be only one! Screenshot_2020-02-13-16-54-13-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-13-16-50-32-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-13-16-55-55-1.png Screenshot_2020-02-13-16-53-04-1.png

new6659, thunder58 and TubeLife like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have the mutronfx III reissue, sounds great but is huge and uses a very inconvenient power supply, they are also overpriced now. A regular wah is more useful generally. but an auto wah is fun... mentioned before, but I put an optic trem before it and it creates a funky helicopter sound.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not to confuse matters...but I was thinking about getting rid of a slew of modulation pedals I seldom use and just getting a GFI Synesthesia.
    In fact it was already in the cart, but Paypal decided I can not have something shipped to another country.:mad:

Demos by the usual suspects...

thunder58, ruger9 and Bertotti like this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah agree.
    Just cos a pedal is old and was used on some famous recordings doesn't mean it's either good or........... hasn't been improved on in subsequent copies or re-issues. Analog pedals especially have greatly improved the past 30 yrs :D

Bertotti likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Pretty cool but more than I care to learn at this point in time. And I think it would push me into also needing some kind of loop pedal or router pedal a place I have been really trying to avoid.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice