Join Gretsch-Talk Today

FIFA World Cup madness

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Roger49, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    True catfish but Sweden also always put referees under massive pressure over decisions against them and are know as 'hard' players, just watch on Saturday! :(

2. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Oh common, even the weak German team beat Sweden, so the 3 Lions will too ;)

3. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Welllllllllllllll !!!

As Gareth Southgate has said,:
    "But now I'm thinking about Sweden. They are another team we have a poor record against. We have underestimated them for years."

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Personally I sorta enjoyed Colombia's skullduggery. Every tournament needs a pantomime villain. Step forward Luis Suarez.

I must say it's been the best World Cup I can remember, so far. I just hope now that Mr Putin doesn't have a remote control for the VAR.

Mr Swisher and Roger49 like this.
  5. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Still 0-0 after five minutes. I see opportunities for Belgium...

6. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    0-2 Half time. Great game so far.

7. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    1-2 Billenknijper, but Belgium got through.

8. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Brazil v. Belgium
    Was a great match and could have gone either way. I was half expecting Brazil to equalise because they kept on pushimg with everything they had but doing that was also leaving them open at the back.
    All due credit to Belgium for keeping their back door pretty tightly shut when Brazil were in the offensive and countering so well.
    A fascinating match indeed.

Ando and Wozob like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Only European countries left.

10. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Indeed.
    Although I admire the football skills of Brazil I do have a problem with Neymar's play acting, which I count as cheating, and am not sorry to see him go although he was noticebly more subdued with the acting last night and Brazil should probably have been awarded a penalty when he was brought down in the penalty area.

This afternoon England v. Sweden, don't know if my nerves can stand it!
    One German journalist said he thinks England will probably win although it will be a hard slog because Sweden will undoubtedly "park three buses in front of the goal" as they usually do!
    I just hope the best team wins so if it's Sweden on the night at least I won't have to worry about heart failure in the semi final, or heaven forbid, the final as well!!

11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Karma?

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Perhaps it’s time the FIFA introduces an Oscar type trophy for best acting performance or ”Schwalbe”?
    These young millionair ball jugglers with their bloathed egos don’t like to be called out in public...hmm? :D

Roger49 likes this.
  13. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Quite right Rich.
    Sadly, or perhaps fortunately(!), few of these theatrical performances are of Oscar deserving standard.
    Some of these 'actors' would be laughed off the stage if they were playing the back end of a pantomime horse and it would not even be because they were funny.

And now we have the ludicrous situation were hundreds of thousands (and by now probably millions) of Columbians have signed a petition to demand the game between Columbia and England be re-staged since the penalty awarded to England should never have been given.
    So the motto is, if you can't win by fair means and you can't even win by unfair means blame everybody including FIFA, the ref, or your opponents but whatever you do don't look in the mirror.
    For a team that:
    Fouled rather than played,
    Head-butted an England player in the penalty area
    Dug up the penalty spot with their boots when the penalty was awarded in the hope that this would cause the penalty kick to go off target
    Consistantly wrestled opposing players to the ground in the penalty area
    Play acted when they were fouled and subjected the ref to massive pressure on any decisions they were unhappy about
    Should have been handed one if not two red cards during the match against England
    etc. etc. etc.
    I call that pretty damn rich, Rich!

14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's looking a bit more civilised tonight! ;)

Honestly I thought the Colombians played with a lot of heart but I only watched the 2nd half... and by then the giving was almost as good as the getting... :eek:

15. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Gretschie

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    i was born in london but moved to sweden two years ago and im in love with the country now, so im on the fence in todays particular game

16. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    England through to the semi finals!
    This really is a crazy World Cup and the craziest part from England's point of view is that up to now they deserve to be this far.
    Again, I hope that whoever we face in the semi final (Russia or Croatia) that the better team goes on to the final .... not sure how many of my fellow Engländer think like that trhough!!!

17. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I just feel the need to post this picture of me from 1976 with my "World Cup 1966" T shirt on.

IMG_6250.JPG

18. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    At this point I think France look like potential champions but I'd really like to see Croatia win it. With their goalkeeper's hamstring injury that's looking less likely.

I'm still dying to see an African team win it all. Since that's not possible, I'm all for any team that hasn't won a World Cup yet.

19. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    You haven't changed a bit David!

englishman likes this.