Few mods to my Pro Jet...nice improvment

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Strato67, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Strato67

Strato67 Gretschie

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    The stock bridge wasn't cutting it..rattled and I could not get the D to intonate..so I got out this Gotoh cut the slots and drilled out the ends to fit the bigger studs...huge improvement in tone..feel across the fretboard and the D intonated with room to spare...I also added an Orange Drop cap....but I have question..I hate the treble loss when turn the master volume back...It's better when you work the independent volumes and leave the master up...so my treble bleed should be on the master?....only small issue..other than that this guitar is a keeper.....thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

benjwri, BorderRadio and GreatGretsch like this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Right---treble bleed should be on the master. I've the earlier Pro Jet. It only has volume and tone, so, it's just simpler for me. Many like the mellower aspect of rolling the master down a tad, then opening it up full for soloing.

Mudshark likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Your MV pot should be A500K. Then you can use a treble bleed like 6n8+250K in serie : that's what is factory done on many Electromatics now. The serial combination recommended by Kinman works also : 1n2+130K. I used as low as 56K+1n5. I don't like the parallel combination as proposed by Seymour Duncan, but its me, OK ? :D

Of course, you can tweak R+C values until you found the good compromise for you !

A+!

4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    I'm surprised that you had intonation issues; was there insufficient compensation travel in the saddles of the original bridge? It certainly hasn't been my experience with several Gretsch models with tuneomatic/adjustomatic bridges. I ask because I have this Jet on my radar:
    [​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.
  5. LeftyJerryK

LeftyJerryK Newbie

Nov 30, 2018
    Las Vegas Nevada, 89135
    Had the same issues. ( I bought the cheapest version). replaced the stop tail, bridge, nut and tuners. That being said, I too have an issue with the bleed. My answer will come in the purchase of some new pods with parallel capacitor. That should do it. Other than that, since it the wood on the cheapest Gretsch, is a little thinner, I am considering some sort of modification in the chambers to add just that much more harmonic ability for some tone. I have replaced the bridge with a TV Jones Powertron Plus, and the neck with a TV Jones Powertron. The guitar sings...

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Those pro jets with the chrome pickup surrounds came with a bridge that was very angled in relation to the strings. This was addressed in later models with a bridge that's more square to the strings.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    True : I saw that issue on many Jet Electromatics single or double cut displayed in music shops.

Fortunately the LH models had a slightly less slanted bridge - at least on the G5435LH I had :

[​IMG]

This problem is adressed on the new G5220LH (and RH) :

[​IMG]

A+!

8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    So I bought the G5435TG Ltd Jet (as in my previous post), and the intonation is fine after a setup.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Usually, the slant of the bridge is circa 3°. This is an average correct value.

A+!

10. LeftyJerryK

LeftyJerryK Newbie

Nov 30, 2018
    Las Vegas Nevada, 89135
    Nice custom made sign...what kind of bridge is that on the red one? (Not the stop tail)

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks LeftyJerryK !

The original factory bridge of the G5220LH is a TOM-like bridge, on big (6.3mm) studs.

But I modified the hardware on it since then ;) :

[​IMG]

- Reprofiled B3LH Bigsby (chassis bent and grinded/filed).
    - Göldo (Thomann) HW05C roller bridge (redrilled to big studs).
    - CUSTOM MADE plate in Maillechort (white metal / German silver).
    - 2x TBHc polished M8x14 screws.
    - BricksBigsFixx Super Squishy Spring.

A+!

12. Synchrosomatic

Synchrosomatic Electromatic

Nov 28, 2018
    Spain
    Do you have good tuning stability with the added Bigsby hcsterg? I might consider putting a B3 some day in my new G5220; not anywhere soon, I'm super happy with the guitar as it is by default, but for me a Gretsch without a Bigsby feels a bit incomplete :)

hcsterg likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, Synchrosomatic. No offset tuning, no tuning instability BUT it need some work to go there !

So I modestly suggest you to have a look to my thread concerning my G5220LH and its Bigsby installation, then you can have an idea about what to do - or not :

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads...dcm-new-guitar-day.181375/page-4#post-1106205

A+!

Synchrosomatic likes this.
  14. Synchrosomatic

Nov 28, 2018
    Spain
    Good to know! I'm already watching that tread, highly valuable information indeed, thanks so much!

hcsterg likes this.
  15. section2

section2 Gretschie

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    You shouldn't have any tuning problems with a B3, as long as you've got a properly slotted nut. If you don't want to go through the grinding and bending process to reduce the Bigsby's height, you can use a B3 and a Towner Down Tension Bar. The Towner drops into the existing tailpiece holes and works very well. I used a Towner and a BE on my G2655, and they were great.

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I can confirm again, Synchrosomatic : I was in reharsal for 2 hours this evening. I tuned the G5220TLH before starting, and checked the tuning after reharsal. NO retuning in between. I generously used the tremolo all along.

Verdict : only the D string was oscillating between OK and 1st step flat on my SNARK tuner... Not so bad !

Now you know the recipe... ;)

A+!

17. Synchrosomatic

Nov 28, 2018
    Spain
    thank you both, section2 and hcsterg. I'd definitely like to go Bigsby with my G5220 someday, but I want to enjoy the guitar as it is by default for some more time before attempting any mod.