Fender Tone Master Amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Robbie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada

Curious as to your thoughts. Not too sure these would be for me but they could have their place

Charlie westside and ishtar like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I watched this one the other day. I guess the idea is instead of doing one modeling amp that does everything average, use the same processing power to do one and get it as spot on as possible and make it light for gigs. My opinion is withheld without actually trying one. It’s a smart decision to still offer the original in tubes. I suspect if it goes over well, the Tone Master line will likely grow. Maybe there’ll be fans of both.

TW4990, drmilktruck, MKunie and 5 others like this.
  3. I would be curious to try a Princeton Reverb version. Maybe some day. As I get older, with a back that sometimes acts out, lighter amps have some allure.

drmilktruck, MKunie and Merc like this.
  4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I saw the vid. The one on that Lee Anderton was playing sounded close.
    I didn't hear to much of a resemblance from the guy on the right's to the real thing. I'll have to try one out personally.

Merc likes this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I watched the video and thought they both sounded very good. At 23 lbs for the Deluxe Reverb I am itching to try one.

I love the excellent attenuation set up because gigs are getting quieter.

I love the very versatile DI with two different mic sims and a speaker cut off for big venues, silent stages and worship gigs.

I love the super light weight because Fender figured out their market is aging.

I love the fact they obviously took some considerable pains to make these amps sound and feel so much like the originals.

I am looking forward to my local L&M getting them in stock so I can try one. I am not one who disparages solid state amps because I believe when a company sets out to make a good one - a real gig-worthy amp like a JC-120, a LAB L5 or an old 1st gen Roland Cube - you can get excellent results. Kempers are a wonderful piece of gear and do many things very well but are pricey for those that really need it to do one really excellent sound.

The Fender folks took a ton of work to emulate two of its most famous (and useful) amps. Once again, Fender may be setting the direction for the great classic amp manufacturers. Vox and Marshall amps sound great but weigh a lot too much and in their larger and most toneful iterations are difficult to control, volume-wise. Mesa, Orange, Ampeg and a host of other terrific amp makers would not be far behind.

And with all these amps, getting great tone at significantly reduced levels is a real challenge.

Has Fender broken the code? Are we witnessing a Renaissance? I guess we'll see.

TW4990, Merc and Robbie like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The one thing I like about it is the weight.

It has power scaling, but it is solid state. Someone please explain why power scaling helps. If it made better tone, then will we see PAs with power scaling?

7. rze99

rze99 Electromatic

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    I don't get it either.

It is a mind game to convert the tube guys.

If it is not, love me wrong.

Modern tube amps are perfectly reliable
    Attenuators allow you to get your sound at any volume.

Waxhead and MotorCentaur like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’m a skeptic but like you my Friend look forward to trying one out.

Merc likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Henry, they use the term "Power Attenuation" which of course, is different from Power Scaling. They don't however, say what that means exactly but if the audio in the vid, played through my studio monitors, is any indication than the output is diminished with seemingly little effect on the tone.

You don't see this on PAs for a number of reasons. The sound is only to be as clean as possible. Guitar amps sound best to most folks with a little grind to them. That would be hard to achieve with a razor clean 800w system. Because a guitar amp gets that hair from a overdriven preamp, a sound reinforcement system would try to avoid ranking up the preamp into overdrive country.

MKunie, Ricochet and Henry like this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Ya, me too buddy. I've heard great solid state amps before Fender made these ones and it certainly seems to me that to all-out pursue the sound of these iconic tube amps is a worthwhile endeavour.

Fender has a long history of setting new ground. I hope it is true again but like you, I need to be convinced.

MKunie and Robbie like this.
  11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I think these are brilliant. Just a great, great idea. A lot of players just want to use an amp. And offering a classic sounding amp that doesn't weight a ton (I've lugged a Twin around... ugh!) and has some modern conveniences really has potential.

TW4990, emitex, MKunie and 1 other person like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Maybe I'm just a snob or two old school. While I actually like the fact that they are making decent solid state and/or modeling amps, I am not at all enamoured with them making them look exactly like their iconic tube amp offerings. Sort of like trying to trick people I guess? Just feels dishonest to me. I still wish them success, I am a big Fender fan, and their guitars and amps make up the largest part of my guitar and amp collection.

Waxhead, lp_bruce and Robbie like this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I would think the appearance of them is to help appeal to those of us that are skeptics. I have such mixed emotions about them.

T Bone likes this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    You'll know more after you try one.

As for appearance, if they are as good as the hype says they are, they become the next generation of DR and TR amps. As to their names, Fender gets to say what they are and it wouldn't be the first time they attached a hallowed name to a crappy amp.

If they aren't any good, they become a footnote in the trash history of Fender amps.

15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I think this is a valid point, though I can see both sides of it.

T Bone likes this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    You know Tavo, eventually they will make a solid state that sounds as great as our tube amps. I don't know when, but it will happen, my friend. I know there is nothing better - today. But that's the same thing the two Tyrannosaurs said to each other.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  17. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    It's a good question.

I've been using a Roland Blues Cube 30 watt model for about 12 months.
    It runs " attenuation/scaling " on the output volume.

Not all the furr on a valve amp comes by over driving the pre-amp stage of a tube amp. In my experience the best sounds come from an amp running flat out - in other words with saturated power tubes.

On the Roland they have worked that out. The master volume runs out at around 7. After that you get a nice emulation of pushed power tubes with increased harmonic content but no real volume increase all the way up to 10.

This works at all output volume selections from 1/2, 5, 15 or 30 watts.
    Brilliant but not understood by most reviewers on their short fiddle with the amp.

If Fender get it right I'll try one for sure.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Can’t wait to try one.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Well I've been waiting 50 years and it hasn't happened yet.

MotorCentaur, Waxhead and Tony65x55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice