Fender Surf Green and Sonic Blue case

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Merc, May 22, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I always thought the smell was from the glue they use. I would think to wait for some sort of coupon or sale to buy it would be best. Although definitely better cases out there.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida

These actually come with some of Fenders current parallel universe guitars or whatever they’re calling it. At least with two similar colors in metallic.

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, I've seen some videos, those new guitars are cool! And that is what I was thinking about when I commented that Fender is inventing new stuff; some of those guitars seem almost weird but they're giving us new options that might be exactly what some are looking for.
    In another thread I talked about the Pawn Shop '51 that I bought 3 weeks ago. I didn't know anything about them until I researched mine (the day I bought it) and it has turned out to be one of my favorites. Sounds fantastic. plays great and I love the look; unusual, unique combo of Strat and Tele in Butterscotch Blonde. gv2uxlllifjmikirl1jb.jpg

Merc likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I bought this Fender case right after I bought the Tele neck back in 1982.

No idea who made it or if it's even considered a good case, but it's held together well, and my Partcaster fits perfectly.

20200522_233252.jpg 20200522_233158.jpg 20200522_233230(1).jpg

Telechamp, T Bone, Merc and 2 others like this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a 1980 Fender "The STRAT" (a really great but ugly guitar) which came with the same case. The case is still going strong after 40 years. I need to take a picture of it sometime. The most Stratocaster-ish stratocaster I have but quite heavy and the Lake Placid blue has aged to Lake Placid green.

Merc and G5422T like this.
  6. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Those are both gorgeous. Look like they were just MADE to stuff full of Danelectro pedals.

Merc likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love the sonic blue one.

However, most of my Strat/Tele cases are Thomann tweed cases(€59/$64). They look the part and are functioning fine. I can’t really imagine them being any worse(or better) than the official Fender case I have. Admittedly I don’t gig so I don’t feel the need to cough up large premiums for “the best” quality.

On occasion I do allow myself to splurge a little on Gator Journeyman cases, but those are a 100-120 bucks.

[​IMG]

8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I cannot see myself ever paying $200 for any case. They do look cool though.

Telechamp, Merc and thunder58 like this.
  9. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    I like it but not for 200 bucks. Good marketing though - I bet they sell a ton of them. The bigger question is, 2 pages into a case thread and nothing from @thunder58 ????

drmilktruck, Merc and thunder58 like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    LOL.... what a way to wake up and have my morning coffee . Please .... don't get me started :p

Merc likes this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    O.K. ...... well , first off I agree with @davenumber2 on his statement . Unless I was a professional musician and traveling a lot , I would probably own a few Hiscox Cases ( just my opinion ) I really don't believe theres a case out there on the market for guys like me who play at home and an occasional jam with friends for no more than $100 .

No pun intended here but case in point :

Bought my Gretsch 12 string Electromatic , no case included . Nervous about buying on line so off I go to a few music stores . 2 cases that fit , both TKL , one had a stencil that said Ibenez ( $69 ) and one had a stencil that said gretsch ( $169 ) ...yup , $100 dollar difference for THE SAME EXACT CASE :mad: Long story short , the salesmen sold me the Gretsch case for $104 , he even thought it was a weird discounted price

So why can't these guitar companies just supply a case when purchasing a guitar ?? It should be standard . And why can't TKL , Gator and the like have a cross reference chart for guitar / cases ?? How hard is this folks ?? Ughhhhhhh UGHHHHHH !! And why , just tell me WHY these guitar companies ( ALL OF THEM !! ) can't supply a darn jack plate at the factory ?? Thanks , THANKS A LOT @dak55 .... now let me get another cup of coffee to start my day ! :mad:

Oh , that's a nice surf green case BTW :)

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ..... no jack plate on a SG , that would look silly

Merc likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ...sorry @Merc , lets back to the thread subject

14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Well you know it's handy for avoiding the need for labels:
    "That's the Surf Green Telecaster, and the other one is the Sonic Blue Stratocaster..........."

drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I think they need to consider a Sunburst case as well........

Telechamp, T Bone, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I actually don’t expect them to sell a lot due to the price. That’s reinforced by the response on this thread. So I suspect at some point they’ll be on sale. Add to it some states get tax free from Musicians Friend and it could be priced appropriately.

I did see two reviews there that were negative. Staple holes through the covering that’s unacceptable. I’m guessing it’s from the initial batch as in whatever country they made it in but will or have been caught and remedied. I still think it’s a good looking case.

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s all good and in fashion here at GT. I’m a bit guilty of it as well.

thunder58 likes this.
  18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know, I know, but I’m saving that spot for a bound Tele with a B16 Bigsby.

Bertotti and Merc like this.
  19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Those are good cases, but don't check it on an airplane. Did that for a round trip back in the late 80s. Guitar was unscathed but on the return leg the case was crushed and destroyed (airline paid for a replacement).

Merc and G5422T like this.
  20. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    The only thing that it'll "fly" in is this. Lol

41577.jpg

No more tin cans with wings for traveling

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice