Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fender Launches The Hand-Wired '64 Custom Blackface Deluxe Reverb Amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by ZackyDog, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Here

Nice; but I wish that it employed an alnico Jensen.

bylzjla04ic6ojo5cti7.jpg 1838732.jpg 64.jpg

nickurso and MKunie like this.
  2. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I would like to see an actual picture of the guts of one of these handwired's.
    The pic Zacky posted is of an original Blackface. I recognize it by all those Astron blue caps...

I've been lucky enough to find really nice originals at comparable prices...

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Will it still have a cardboard cab, and Chinese transformers?

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The pic I took is directly from the Fender website.

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Featuring Bright and Normal channels, all-tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo on both channels, hand-wired AB763 circuitry and 20 watts of output power, the ’64 Custom Deluxe Reverb is the go-to amp for warm, clean tones and moderate breakup.

The cabinet that holds the 12” Jensen C-12Q speaker is crafted from solid pine for improved resonance and lighter weight, and features an extra-heavy textured vinyl covering and lightly-aged silver grille cloth for a picture-perfect vintage look. The amplifier also includes Fender Vintage Blue tone capacitors, four 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes, a 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube, a matched pair of 6V6 output tubes, as well as a footswitch and amp cover. Available September 2017.

MKunie likes this.
  6. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Funnily enough, I'm in the process of buying a Fender Deluxe Custom Reverb amp.

Right now.

As I understand things it will come with a printed circuit board. Which may or not be the bee's knees.

Hand-wired sounds too good to be true. And, what's the quality like?

That's a curve-ball indeed.

Russ

MKunie likes this.
  7. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    What about the price? Modern PCB amps (think Fender, Vox etc.) sound good and are not TOO MUCH pricey.
    Once that price range changes it's better to go boutique instead of buying a hand wired version, IMHO.

8. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    PCB is a tone vampire. fender and vox should not use it at all.

9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I have this book, and I distinctly remember the author saying that "a PCB acts like a capacitor". That said, I've played through a lot of VOX amps that are PCB, and they sound really good.

81i8ehISiwL.jpg

10. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Electromatic

Nov 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've been saying for years that it's absolutely criminal that all fender's new black/silverface amps have PCB circuitry in them at that price. The markup on those is just outrageous and they're all ticking timebombs just jogging their way to an expensive repair. If you actually use them for work, they're not jogging to it, they're sprinting.

But then if you want a new amp under warranty that's hand wired, you pay through the nose for some tiny boutique builder to basically deliver you his slightly altered version of a vintage fender circuit in the cab of his choosing for about double the price of just going out and buying an actual original fender and having a tech run through it for you.

I applaud fender for actually building a real handwire, but that price is insane. It's the exact same price as a very clean REAL blackface Deluxe. What's the point!? Cork sniffers won't buy this because it's new. Working musicians won't buy this because it's too expensive.

Long story short, my contention is they should scrap their entire "reissue" line as-is and just build them all handwired in Mexico or China and sell them for the same price as they currently do. $1100 for a PCB time bomb that was 'built in america' or $1100 for a handwire that was built across the border? I'll roll the dice on that handwire any day of the week. I used to be a snob about country of origin but the stuff coming out of Mexico and (especially) China has changed my mind. They're building fantastic stuff. Amps don't require anywhere near the precision as a guitar and its neck.

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I would expect it will be very good, it's not like Fender doesn't know how to build a great amp.

I own (or have owned) Deluxe Reverbs in the '65 blackface reissue, the '68 Custom, a real Silverface (1975) and a blackface hand wired clone in the form of a Marsh Clifton. The only one I sold was the '65 Reissue, not because it sounded bad but because we just didn't bond. The '68 Custom is a sweetheart and is almost the equal of the Silverface. The Marsh is a step above that and sounds like choirs of angels singing.

If the Fender is indeed a handwired blackface clone it will be a mighty contender in the amp market.

BTW, the Marsh also allows you to use the Vibrato and Reverb on both channels.

Mudshark and russmack like this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    IMHO, and without boasting intentions, Mr Ritchie Flieger doesn't exactly represent the "ultimate trustable technical advice" about tube amplifiers, despite he wrotes many interesting books on amps an other.

But it's me, OK :D ?

I mean : a well-designed, well-built, double-sided (or not) PCB doesn't acts as a capacitor. Many hand-wired boutique amps, particularly the ones with "long and airy angled" wires, are worse. And what about the capacity of the shielded cables, including the jack cord that you use with your guitar ?

But yes, if you look and analyse the PCB of a Fender Blues Junior 1st series, you understand why this amp sounds quite poorly and have a tendency to parasitic oscillations : there's too many unwanted couplings (not to say forbidden) in the traces design.

The "topology" of the PCB is of a major importance, as well as in an handwired circuit. And yes again, there's fortunately good sounding PCB-made amplifiers ! Handwired doesn't mean necessarily "good"...

Yes, I agree. Add to Fender in that field : Marshall JVMs, Engl Screamers... I would even say that the Fender RI amps are probably not even the worse !

Well, I would say that, at least, this is not the same kind of "precision" (think af a HIWATT, for example).

A+!

Ricochet, Tony65x55 and Henry like this.
  13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I guess I was lucky. When I had one about 20 years ago, I thought it had a nice vintage-type sound/tone.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    One major Canadian retailer is showing the price at $3379.99. That better be a really good amp, they're awfully proud of it.

Is it just me or is that stupid expensive for a bunch of tubes and wires?

15. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Extremely stupid, in my opinion.

Rikki Ericson and MKunie like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    $3400?!?! That's what I paid for my Jeep. A Deluxe Reverb is a superb amp, one of the best all around amps on the market. This version is too pricey for my wallet.

Rikki Ericson and MKunie like this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    That was kinda my thought. Maybe it's just the suggested list? They don't actually have one yet.

18. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    Yah, well, low interest rates currently guys. Anyone can take out a loan and buy one, take photographs, post them on the net and say 'look at me, I've got one of these!'

Some people love that sort of thing. Wouldn't give it houseroom. Ridiculous money.

(Pedal Friendly??? Ahaaahaahahah! )

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    It's a very labor intensive product, more so than the same amp that uses a printed circuit board. And it's made in the USA. American labor is more expensive than (for example) Chinese labor.

It seems a bit high priced, but the market may be willing to bear the price. If not, it could decrease in time.

20. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    'I've got a hand wired '64 Deluxe. It sounds great with my Ibanez tube-screamer.'

You bet there's a market.

ZackyDog likes this.