Fender & Jimmy Page Announce Recreation The Dragon Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by ZackyDog, Dec 27, 2018.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Here

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Trash Kidd, Lionpotato and G DynaTron like this.
  2. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Many of his most well known Zepplin solos were played on a Tele. Page was a great player back in the day. I don't believe he gets enough credit.

Lionpotato, thunder58 and ZackyDog like this.
  3. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Players my age give him plenty of credit. Rank him #2 behind Hendrix. Rare talent and composition.

Lionpotato and thunder58 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I think it's great that Jimmy Page is being recognized this way . But think about it ..... another " signature artist " guitar . A guitar with " his / her " name on it . Can't wait to see the astronomical price tag of this thing .... just sayin' .

5. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Yeah. As much as I love Page, there's no way I'd buy this guitar....

thunder58 likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I had the same thought. Sticking an artist's name on an instrument usually means priced beyond my means.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    A contact from another forum said:

100 Masterbuilt... 50 of the 'mirror' version; 50 of the 'dragon' version.

Sounds like there will also be a production run that is more affordable.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    @MartyT , @wabash slim , @ZackyDog
    yea , my gut says BIG money here . Remember the Eddie Van Halen and the Jimmy Page Bouble Neck a few years back ? Both guitars / about 50 made / somewhere about $50,000 price tag . I remember seeing the EVH in the Guitar Center in Paramus NJ up for sale in the display case , used . Sold to a guy in Texas for $12,000.
    Not such a good investment if you ask me .

MotorCentaur likes this.
  9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I had thought about the Eric Clapton Fender tweed amps. Way above my pay grade!! I've got one signature guitar---a Peavey Cropper Special---that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm a firm believer that a sig model will not make you sound any better than you are.

new6659, Floo, MotorCentaur and 2 others like this.
  10. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I remember a few years ago I built a Strat, and told my buddy that I was building a "parts Strat". He replied, "They're ALL 'parts' Strats"......Hmmm.

The Fender Masterbuilt/Signature thing is one of the greatest cons ever perpetrated on the guitar buying public.

Yeah, I've spent stupid money on guitars before. And I'm sure I'll do it again. But when I do, it will be to buy a guitar that I can't build myself.

new6659, MotorCentaur and wildeman like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's pretty funny:)
    Most Fender instruments are priced just right but yeah, those custom shop things can get outta hand....don't even get me started on the relic's:eek:
    I will add this, I've owned exactly one CS Fender and it was a Danny Gatton Tele, this was a most excellent Tele....worth the money? i would say yes.

12. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I'm not saying that some of those guitars aren't terrific. I'm saying that you could build an equally good guitar with intelligent planning and carefully chosen parts. That's what the Custom Shop does. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into the notion of "masterbuilt" when it comes to a plank guitar. You're paying an exorbitant premium for someone to put the nicks and dings in the right place. That's just a guitar version of snake oil.......

Floo, MotorCentaur and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Words of wisdom ..........

MartyT and wabash slim like this.
  14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Depends who you ask.

thunder58 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Now you tell me! Four Chet model Gretsch and a clone of Duane Eddy’s Guild on my wall and for what? :)

new6659 likes this.
  16. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    I would humbly suggest that there are two basic families of signature guitars out there :
    1. Those that are designed and pricedto be played, and were often designed with the active participation of the musician (like the J. Mascis Jazzmaster, the Johnny Marr Jaguar, the G. Love Corvette, or the Musicman St Vincent...)
    2. Those which are designed to be replicas of someone famous' guitar (the Jimmy Page LP 1 & 2, the George Harrison Duo Jet...)
    I guess the replicas probably get the same treatment as might get the originals if they were sold: they hang on the wall unplayed.

I doubt Jimmy needs the cash -- this has a lot more to do with ego.

Cheers,

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ego and he probably just wants to stay busy and involved.

Stencil likes this.
  18. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I don't think I'd ever want a signature model. Typically they're too pricy and made to specs that wouldn't float my boat. I love the George Harrison Duo Jet for example but it's 2k more than a regular Jet. And I'd probably want to replace the bridge which would then not be the signature model any more.

To me, signature models are more for collectors.

19. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

A few years back, I bought a Takamine Glenn Frey Signature acoustic-electric. Takamine took Glenn Frey's #1 Takamine and spec'ed it out in every detail. It was Glenn's working guitar, so it had a solid top with laminate back and sides. Takamine gave Glenn the option of going all solid wood, but Glenn allowed it to be built exactly like his #1.

The minute I played the guitar I could here it's distinctive sound, of course using Eagles songs to audition it. I bought it on the spot. Little by little I realized that it might have been perfect in spec for Glenn Frey's hands, but it was just a little off for mine. When I was playing a Taylor 710ce in the same store, one day, I realized how effortless it was to play the Taylor, but I never had that effortless feeling with the Glenn Frey Signature. I still have the Taylor today, but the Glenn Frey Signature was traded in on a lightly used Gretsch Tennessee Rose that I found in the same shop. I have never regretted letting the Takamine go.

Moral of the story: whether there is a name, or not, on a guitar, it still has to fit your hands. It doesn't matter that it fits your hero's hands perfectly . . . only whether it fits yours.

ZackyDog, Floo, MotorCentaur and 2 others like this.
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    In my case, it's self awareness.

In my behalf, no one sounds like me.

Or wants to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice