Fender hot rod vs blues jr. whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rob batz, Feb 19, 2020.

1. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I have a chance at a blues jr or a hot rod deluxe , what are some thoughts on these amps , I know they are nothing special but I need a second amp here so my friend can play along with me at the house, while I use my deluxe reverb ., the amps are roughly the same price and I’m leaning towards the hot rod it seems to have more features, again whatcha guys think ?

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Those HRD's are LOUD, and hard to tame down for home use. Had one for a short period.

The BJr is a better fit for home, but just me, not a fan of them. Had one of these too.

MKunie, new6659 and rob batz like this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Hot Rod Deluxe. Great clean platform. They sound big and warm and round. Loud enough to gig in a loud band. Grab a good dirt box and go to town.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    chalk and cheese imo.
    Hot Rod poos on BJ tone wise and features but neither are good home use amps imo :)

hcsterg, rob batz and Henry like this.
  5. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I have a Blues Jr and a Blues Dlx Reissue. I love both. If you need an amp for home Blues Jr is better, the Dlx (or the Hot Rod) are definetly too loud for home use

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Much too loud for inhouse playing, I‘ve owned the BJR - meh, me no likes. No fender tone. Dunno the Hot Rod personally. I wouldn‘t buy a PCB amp, but that’s just me.

hcsterg and rob batz like this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Hot Rod all day. Great cleans. Pop a 5751 in V1 and V2 and away you go. The Drive Channel isn’t great IMHO but clean channel with an OD pedal it’s a good amp.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hot Rod if for the same price. Lot's of amp for not much money. Very good clean, very loud if needed. Blues Junior to me was darker and could never really get that Fender sparkle. I guess they have their own thing, but it never suited me. I've had two Hot Rods, liked them both.

rob batz likes this.
  9. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I had Blue Jr and it sounded really 'boxy'...it was nice to tote around but I couldn't get past the boxy sound.

hcsterg, Robbie and rob batz like this.
  10. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Another vote for the HRD. I went lower than @Robbie suggests with a 12AY7 inV1 and V2. Still play at home and still smoke the drummer.

PDogga, Robbie and rob batz like this.
  11. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    All things being equal, I'd do the HRD, even though I have a heavily modded JR that I really love. There's kits to mod the JR, Fromel and Bill M, but it's easy to get into some money and it'll still be a JR based amp. The guy that originally built mine had over an grand into it, yes, seriously, and yet I got it for an Epi trade.

rob batz likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    If you want a good clean amp the Hotrod would be the choice. It`s crunch sounded unpleasant to my ears. But that`s only my personal opinion.

hcsterg, Robbie and Henry like this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Totally. The best thing to do with these amps is ignore the crunch channel. Channel one is big and warm and Fendery........Id lay down a Nocturne Fluid Drive in front of it and call it a day.

MKunie, stevo, Robbie and 3 others like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve never used an external one. But what about using a Power Attenuator for home use? It would let you drive the tubes for home use but then the amp can be played out instead of two amps (one for each use).

MKunie and rob batz like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Rob, what's the pricing on these two amps?

MKunie likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    vox Ac15, do it.. do it.

mbkri likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would rather just get an amp that not just fits my needs, but a better one too, than pay for an amp and an attenuator. It seems people dont really like the drive sound on the HRD.

Merc likes this.
  18. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    409$ used blues jr , 449$ FOR the HRD

MKunie and G5422T like this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Sure you can use an attenuator - great for any med-large watt amp so long as you get a good one :)
    I have the best one - Fryette Power Station $700.
    https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

It's much more than just an attenuator - also amps up to 50w, has a great series loop, does not change base amp tone when attenuating and is fully tube driven :D

Merc likes this.
  20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Just an idea as an option for someone who may not have money or space for two amps. The attenuator is likely cheaper than an amp in general.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice