Fender Blues Jr

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by praichel, Jul 30, 2019.

1. praichel

praichel Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Morgantown
    Hey I'm interested on playing my 5620t through a Blues Jr. I'm curious what the groups opinion is on that set up. I typically play clean and currently just play with a Fender Super Champ X2. Is it worth the change? Or can the Champ, set up right, get the same tones as the Jr? Whats a good price for a used Jr? I prefer to purchase second hand

2. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    NC
    • Member @TSims1 (who's opinion we all value) gave the new Blues Jr. IV's a good review some time back and, if I recall, said the IV's are superior to the earlier versions. Especially the model with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker, which is a FSR from Sweetwater. I'm looking to upgrade my amp soon and am considering one, which would rarely come up used yet, or a used Vox AC15C1.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...5-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-western-tolex

TSims1 likes this.
  3. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I had a Tweed Blues Jr III - did all sorts of mods to it to improve tone Also owned a super Champ x2 wine red version

If you like / prefer to play clean, the Super Champ is a better amp for that. The blues jr is a “dirty” amp that goes into OD very early and easily. So not a lot of headroom for clean tones which would make a difference if you’re playing out of will jam with a band / other players.

The clean tones that can be had on the Super Champ X2 are quite tasty provided you’ve tweaked the mids via Fuse You’ve got Princeton, Twon Reverb and Tweed Bassman / Champ options for your clean tones Much better options imo

aiabx, RG7X, sh4rkbyt3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I also play clean and have a Vox AC15, which seems a perfect match with my Gretches.

wabash slim and pmac11 like this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I have a Tweed Blues Junior III in Tweed.
    It’s a great amp. Beautiful Fender Clean tones & switch in the fat switch & roll up the volume & your’ll get some great overdrive sounds.
    Very loud for it’s rated 15w makes it great to gig..... Your’ll hear it over the loudest drummer. Very portable & light as a feather to carry.
    I love these little amps :)

6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The BJ is a good litle amp. The big difference in the two is the BJ is an EL84 amp and they tend to have their own tone, you either like them or not. I prefer 6V6 types but El84's are pretty nice. Similar amps:
    Blues Junior
    Pro Junior
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Delta Blues
    Z Carmen Ghia

GretschPraise likes this.
  7. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    It's a great little amp for what it does. I ended up trading for a Vox AC10 when I discovered how useless the BJ's tone controls were. The the tone only changes when turned either all the way up (8-10) or all the way down (1-3) and I needed a little more versatility. I thought it might just be my amp, but when I went into GC and tried a few others, they all performed the same as mine. For the money, maybe a little less, the Vox might be the way to go.

8. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    My first small amp was an SCXD which was a pretty good amp especially when run through a 12" extension cab but at the end of the day I just couldn't deal with the lack of volume balance when switching between the effects settings so I moved on to a BJ III plus pedals.

The tone controls on the BJ work just fine. I can get nice cleans but not at loud volume levels. What I can't get is great heavy distortion but then the amp was never meant to do that. The bottom line is that there is a very good reason that Fender named it the Blues Junior. It's a one trick pony Blues oriented amp that is at it's best dialed into clean at edge of break up. That's what I use it for and for that it shines. The only problem is that's not all I do.

Then this one came along and showed me that for the same money or less I could have an amp that does virtually everything and sounds every bit as good as all of those tube amps I've been playing for the past 50 years. Seriously, these things kill it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3, pmac11, TW4990 and 2 others like this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I own one amp a blues junior 3. The teeed model. I love it. When the original tubes died I put tungsol tubes in which knocked out the ‘honking’ quality and smoothed out the overdrive. My only complaint is that it’s not loud enough sometimes. But till I can afford the blackface reverb it’s a lovely little amp.

Rusty Silver and aiabx like this.
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The BJ is far away from the Fender Tweed Tone that it’s cab suggests aesthetically.
    It‘s an El84 amp, more Vox than Fender, so to say. Tubes inserted in the PCB board, also a lot of cheap parts inside.

I would say it‘s an affordable beginners tube amp, but nothing more.

hcsterg and EC Strat like this.
  11. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I've had two and they both sounded very 'boxy'. It was loud and portable but they never sounded good to my ears. There's better options out there.

hcsterg and RG7X like this.
  12. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Same. The boxy tone and the lack of clarity on the low end (especially with on the neck pup) is what drove me to sell mine.

hcsterg likes this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Bought one in the late 90's...I played my Strat through it and was able to get some pretty convincing SRV tones...Would choose it over a Vox any day...

Trash Kidd likes this.
  14. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    For the same money the Blackstar Studio 6L6 is a far better amp. Comes with an effects loop, a great sounding clean channel (bc of the 6L6 tubes) an American type of OD channel and a very good Celestion speaker.

15. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I was thinking of picking one up today. I found a used one online in great shape with a Canabis Rex speaker at $320. But after reading these reviews im not so sure.
    I have an AC15 and a Peavey Classic 50 and this might not be “Distictly Fenderish” enough to be offering me something i cant already get? Its a three hour excercise to go try it but maybe i should stay home and practice instead?

16. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You’re right. You won’t expect a typical Fender clean from EL84s. To me the BJ sounds a lot more Vox.

mbkri likes this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'd say : save and buy a Fender Princeton Reverb Silverface... You won't regret it - like @Stefan and me... And certainly other members ! ;)

If you really dig the BJ, choose preferably the latest edition (the IV or over) : it's the most reliable and improved. I repaired several of them in the previous versions. Avoid Version I, as far as possible : they had many design failures, that were not all corrected in the later version...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

pmac11 and Stefan like this.
  18. Defib Tim

Defib Tim Electromatic

Dec 3, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    I have the tweed Blues Junior III with the Jensen speaker, and i love the tones I get out of it with humbuckers and filtertrons. My son recently bought the IV and it has even better tones. Is it classic Fender? Maybe not, but i suggest the new IV is worth checking out.

Rusty Silver and Trash Kidd like this.
  19. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    It also depends by the guitar you use. My Blues jr III tweed Jensen speaker sounds great with my Gretsch 5422 (blacktop filtertrons pu) and terrible with my Telecaster (single coils pu)... Anyway there's a golden rule to make sound better a Blues Jr: keeping the master amp volume full open gives a rich full open sound.
    Anyway my opinion on the amp is totally positive, you can't find the perfect Fender sound on a small amp.

Defib Tim, SWoody and Trash Kidd like this.
  20. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Just read a comment stating the Blues Junior as an affordable beginners tube amp?

Rubbish! I’m no beginner with 38 years live experience under my belt..
    I love my Tweed Blues Junior iii.
    This little amp sounds superb with my Falcon, SG & Les Pauls..
    I use it Live regularly & get a great sound out of it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice