Feeling deserted.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dmunson, Sep 10, 2019.

1. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    The local GC has closed and relocated clear across town. Here in Charlotte that's a hours drive, mostly sitting in traffic. They were my primary Gretsch source, so I'm feeling a little deserted right now.
    Just wanted to rant.

2. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Oh man, That's a drag! It's like mourning a loss.

This is the right place for group therapy. :)

3. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I feel (or felt) your pain brother! I recently moved away from Raleigh, NC... and for the two years I was there I was very disappointed to find almost zero "guitar scene". Thank goodness for the internet, as it became my only source of guitar and gear fix.

Charlie westside likes this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I feel your pain

Most guitar shops are gone, here in Santa Cruz. One good shop with 2 or three Electromatics is left, then a couple used guitar shops with very limited selections.

GC about 35 miles away over the coastal mountain range has a few more, but not many.

5. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    That's a long way. I visit my niece who goes to school there. I drive from the Santa Clarita Valley in LA County to visit her in Santa Cruz. It's about a 6 hr. Drive. So you have limited options if you want to visit shops?

radd likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Does she go to the UC? We live a couple blocks from the campus. We lived on campus in the early 70’s, married student housing. Absolutely gorgeous campus.

Sad really about our lack of guitar shops . When I started playing in the early 70’s here there were two large competing shops. They had big inventories. Those days are long gone. We have one quality shop left and it is 90% acoustic, it has been around 40 or 50 years.

I’m forced to select a new guitar by buying from Sweetwater using their generous return policy where there pay shipping. I have done that a couple times, returning guitars or amps until I find the one I want.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We have three music stores in town. None carry Gretsches. I've got to drive over an hour to the GC in Indy, or more than two hours to Sweetwater in Fort Wayne. An hour's drive for a Gretsch isn't too much of a problem, tho.

Charlie westside likes this.
  8. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Yes. She goes to the UC. What an excellent place to go to school. It's a beautiful area. She does a lot of hiking.

You know, maybe you're not missing that much. Here in Los Angels the brick and mortar stores aren't what they use to be. Their not run professionally, the cust service is normally bad. The inventory isn't always up to par. The small mom & pops can't stock the big name brands because they can't afford it. I really think the new way of doing it is how you're doing it going through Sweetwater and it's cool that if you don't like the product you can send it back. My purchases over the last 2 years have all been through Zzounds Grestch last year and this year my acoustic guitar amp. So maybe it's not such a bad thing. You get to test out your gear in your own home without
    having to have to listen to 50 other people testing out guitars.

9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yes! When I go to a GC to check out whatever gear, I don't just sit down and play. I want to really listen to how the guitar sounds, so I'll play certain chords that I know should just sound special on a really good guitar. The problem with GC is that many times there are too many people that are just sitting around playing for hours at a volume that suggests that they have "dig me" in mind. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm hearing the gear that I want to hear, or whether someone else is coloring the sound that I'm hearing.

Flouswa and Charlie westside like this.
  10. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Same here. It makes it difficult.

11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You could move to where I live . There's about 6 to 8 music stores from a 2 minute drive to an hours ride . Hang in there friend

larryb likes this.
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I am sorry man...I usually feel deserted when I walk into my Guitar Center...hmmm...does anybody work here? Help please?
    ...and all we have are NON Proline Gretsches...although, every once in a while the used rack will have..... one:(

Flouswa and wabash slim like this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    You have got the stores....for sures!!!:cool::cool::cool:

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    From my house

Bau Monde Guitars , Northvale NJ - 2 minutes
    O.DeBella music , Bergenfield NJ - 20 minutes
    Rockland Music Center , Nanuet NY - 16 minutes
    Guitar Center , Paramus NJ 0- 20 minutes
    Sam Ash , Paramus NJ - 20 minutes
    Alto Music , Middletown , NY - 55 minutes ( worth the trip )

** cross over the Tappan Zee Bridge ( the new Mario Cuomo Bridge )

Guitar Center , Yonkers NY - 35 minutes
    Sam Ash , White Plaines , NY - 35 minutes
    Rock Island Sound , Tarrytown NY - 25 minutes

Sorry guys ......

larryb likes this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    How about the King of Kings....Street Sounds?

thunder58 likes this.
  16. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    ho ho ho; I don't feel your pain. I live in Watsonville, and Santa Cruz has tons more choice than we do. I like Sylvan in SC, but sometimes Starving Musician has some Gretsch to look at; I've bought two from them (electromatic Jets, one with black tops and one with broadtrons. I was happy. Sylvan is dangerous because they have so many cool acoustics and I lack self control. I like Sylvan's repair department too.

17. scthom

scthom Electromatic

Sep 9, 2019
    Charlotte NC
    I read your post and thought "Oh no, did the GC near me close?" but I'm near the University City one. If it makes you feel any better, the GC selection of Gretsch is not that good here. I ended up buying mine from Sweetwater.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Ya, you can find the occasional Gretsch at a couple of the small stores in town, almost never any new ones. I have purchased guitars from Starving Musician, older lower level guitars. As for acoustics, Sylvan has a lot, tons of Martins and Taylor’s. I have purchased a few guitars from them over the years.

I soured a bit on our local store when I ordered an expensive Taylor electric through them an it had a problem and they said sorry, we don’t do warranty work on Taylor’s, they don’t pay us enough, you need to send it to them for repair. I still buy from them but I will never buy another Taylor from them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  19. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ya know , I've never been to Brooklyn . So I'm guessing and hour at least ..... I'm actually waiting to hear when the next " Gretsch Day " is . ....... road trip !

larryb likes this.
  20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Sorry to hear this, that would really suck big time!

I have two locally owned guitar shops within a 10 minute drive, one sells Gretsch. Have a GC about 30 minutes away and two more just over an hour away. Plus a bunch of locally owned ones between here and there, so we are really pretty lucky in that respect. My favorite place in the city has a nice selection of Gretsch, but no pro-lines. There is another shop though that does sell them, I have been afraid to venture there for fear of my credit card jumping out of my wallet. One of these days...

thunder58 and MTurner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice