Feedback on Gretsch 6122-1958 Country Gent Single Cutaway

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jack brull, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jack brull

jack brull Electromatic

Dec 2, 2015
    NYC
    Hey wondering how people like their 6122-1958 gents. How do they compare to the 62 reissues other than double cutaway vs single? just picked one up on reverb and anxiously awaiting its arrival.. thanks

2. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I have had one for 14 years now and love it. The only thing I changed on mine was to add a gold Bigsby with a fixed Chet handle. Mine is about the easiest playing guitar I have. It will be with me as long as I live.

Jim

jack brull likes this.
  3. jack brull

jack brull Electromatic

Dec 2, 2015
    NYC
    does the body size present any issues when sitting down?

4. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    For me it is very comfortable to play sitting down. I no longer play out so now all I do is play sitting down.

Jim

5. LMark

LMark Newbie

Jan 30, 2019
    MN
    Jack, did your "new" '58 have the brass nut? I love my 2008, which has it. Mine came used with a TV Jones Supertron at the neck. I installed a TV Classic Plus at the bridge, and a brass Tru-Arc. I also rewired the pots to '59 style. It delivers the most authentic (late-50s-early-60s) Chet Atkins sound of any guitar I've played. The oddest thing is that it came with a TV Jones Dearmond in the bridge. Between that and the Supertron and big roudwound strings that came on it, it had a Super-400-esque sonic quality that I found quite surprising. As I said, I changed out the DeArmond for the Classic Plus, but the instrument still has a "big" sound. I don't know how else to describe it. But it has the refined filtertron feel as well. This is complete speculation, but I can't help but wonder if Chet didn't like the '59 better in part because of its even more refined sound. The '59 can certainly sound big, but not as big as the '58. I can't say enough good things about the '58. It has tons of sustain (trestle bracing), far more than the latest version of the '59 ("vintage select"). Anyhow, I hope that you're enjoying your new instrument. I'm certainly enjoying mine. LMark

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice