Favorite Lll-ooo-nnn-ggg Song

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    To me the Abbey Road “Medley” should qualify as a really long (16 minutes) song for purposes of this thread. Does anybody here ever listen to just one of the tracks?

audept, MTurner and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma

It’s long but not super long but one of my daughter and my favorites.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I didn’t know they were not one track before I got a CD player.

pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Another one of my daughter and My favorites. Well we just do Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, and The End.

The whole family sings Golden Slumbers when it comes on in the car.

We are actually excited to see the Yeaterday movie, though I here it is mostly a chick flick.

5. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It’s very annoying when one of them comes on when your phone is playing on random.

6. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I wish you could link them together somehow for random play.

7. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I think most CD ripper software will allow you the option to designate them as a merged track. I did this for the Abbey Road Medley, Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid, Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’/City of the Angels, Feelin’ That Way/Anytime, and several others that should never be broken up.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    You could edit them into one track. I’ll bet ITunes has some option. Yes there is! There is an option in ITunes, right click on the track, Song Info->Details->grouping field.

“Group individual movements on a classical CD into one work by indicating the name of the work (for example, “Piano concerto in A Minor, Op. 54”) in the Grouping field”

I’m not sure if that will solve the problem when using shuffle, worth a try.

I have a new album I need to re-EQ, it’s mixed for listening on an iPhone speaker or something. It sounds like poo. You can set an EQ in ITunes, and it is finally listenable, but it doesn’t use the EQ settings when I stream it from an AppleTV using Home Sharing, and the documentation says you would have to set the EQ on an iOS device.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    drmilktruck likes this.
  9. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Sister Ray - sometimes it's even longer.

Hm hm, not sure what's long and what's close to ... Megalomania by Black Sabbath always kind of gets me ... one of their best I think, it redirected me to them for a few times when I was on the train and didn't know what to listen to and didn't have ideas for the zero-version of my maybe-doctor's thesis (... doesn't lack of stuff, but could be outdated politically, as it's about internal combustion engines ... although in an electrified environment, that's handy for optimized boosting systems ... doesn't matter here, already too long, but that machine isn't done yet, as it isn't done as good as possible...).

Really have to think here ... Heroin is great, too, but that's just about 6 or 7 minutes ... 5:15 by the Who, from the time on when John played a solo within it. I always considered Arthur Brown's first Album as like one song, as I never interrupt listening to it, or if I think I might have to don't start listening at all.

I guess extended versions won't qualify here, as there are plenty of 15-minutish 2-minuters, and many of them suck.

Driftin' Back by Neil Young. That's like 26 minutes or so, and redirected me to him in 2012 or 2013 or when it came out...

I'll rethink about it, as I never pay much attention to how long a song is, I only get when they're really short, like a minute or less...

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I second @tartanphantom in his choice of "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding." First thing that came to my mind.

drmilktruck and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  11. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    How about

- Deep Purple - Made in Japan - Side 4 - Space Truckin - 19:42

- Grand Funk Railroad - Closer to Home - Side 3 - I Am Your Captain (Closer to Home) - 10:09

- Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East - Side 2 - You Don't Love Me - 19:15 - Side 3 - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - 13:04- Side 4 - Whipping Post - 23:03

- Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach - Mountain Jam - Side 2 - 19:37 - Mountain Jam - Side 4 - 15:06

And the ultimate!! Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - Side 1&2 - Tubular Bells - 49:16

12. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Three weeks late to the party!
    Going Home Ten Years After Woodstock

Beardog and drmilktruck like this.
  13. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    How about Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I rethinked about my english, and then rethought about long songs ... and didn't really find any ... remembered some, forgot again, repeated this and am empty-minded about it now ... but last weekend it struck me - I listened to a recording of a group of birds a neighbour of my grandma did with her phone and found it was remarkable, which I totally agree: These guys sounded almost like Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music - damned, what a cool flock!

I will re-remember some later I guess ... takes long sometimes...

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Taylor910

Taylor910 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2015
    SoCal
    Was one of my favorite songs in 1969 as it still is today.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Long song?

Grateful Dead's "Space".

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Could not resist to mention here epic songs from Van Morrison, even if most of them are under 10' such as Listen To The Lion or Tupelo Honey.
    And the live Cyprus Avenue version from It's Too Late To Stop Now is 10'21. Phew!

But I'd like to share Philosopher's Stone, that YouTube video was made by a genius, it's the most relaxing YT video I know:

Check it on a wide screen.
    Enjoy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice