Favorite Female Singers?

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by nickurso, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    here's another female singer with something to say AND can play guitar :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GlenP and nickurso like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another one who knows how to rock :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nickurso likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    This lady Chrissy Amphlett has gone into semi legendary status in australia

audept and nickurso like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

9. Jochie

Jochie Electromatic

Feb 21, 2019
    the Netherlands
    How about her !!

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The Gretsch Gal - Lynda Kay

11. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    My favourite female singer is not a solo singer, but the lead singer in a group. I hope she qualifies for inclusion in this thread. Though they are Spanish, you may have heard about them, as they almost won the 1973 Eurovision Song Contest with what many people believe to be the best song ever in that contest. They're Mocedades, and the song is 'Eres tú'. They recorded it in several languages, including English, but it seems everyone preferred to listen to the Spanish version anyway.

Originally, the group had eight members, four of which were siblings, and after several comings and goings, their most famous lineup had only six members (three siblings among them). In the beginning there was no clear solo singer, all of them being in the spotlight in some song, but soon they realised that Amaya Uranga's voice was special, and she remained the lead singer of the group in almost all of their songs until 1984, when she left Mocedades. She went solo for some time, and then she founded another group (El Consorcio) with other former members of the group. Many people today prefer to attend El Consorcio's concerts rather than present-day Mocedades', just because of Amaya.

I've always loved Amaya's voice. I wouldn't be able to explain why, but it touches me like few voices do. It makes me feel sad, happy, nostalgic, relaxed... Whatever it is, she achieves it.

For those of you who might be interested, here go the Eurovision Contest song, and two more songs which are among their best known ones. I think Amaya is superb in all of them.

And, as a bonus video, a song in English which is among my favourites, though it's not so popular (I suppose you will have heard some other version, as I think there are many). To me, it sounds almost as if she were singing phonetically. I hope her accent is not too hideous for those of you with a good English.

12. jasonek72

jasonek72 Electromatic

Jul 13, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Anne Wilson
    Pat Benatar
    Cristina Scabbia
    Annette Strean

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Now that Linda Ronstadt has had to retire from singing, check out Rachel Price from Lake Street Dive.

14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Maria Muldaur didn't need to take the camel to bed. I would have volunteered to be a replacement!
    There was also the astonishing vocal range of Minnie Ripperton.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice