Faux Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Seamus, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Not in the market for anything, but stumbled across this "prototype Gretsch." Maybe it's a prototype Gretsch. But it sure did set off alarm bells. Humbuckers, no tone switch, weird plate on the head stock, etc.

Anyone know what this is?

https://nwct.craigslist.org/msg/d/torrington-2009-gretsch-prototype/6812088514.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Money is on faux. Inlays are interesting, they look really good

3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I think it’s legit but modified. If it’s fake they did a great job. The inlays on the neck match my 6120 perfectly and the g brand is spot on. The placement of the knobs are right and the Gretsch logo and shape of the headstock look right. Hope someone can identify it.

reverb11 and j.s.c like this.
  4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, I'll say that the inlays look really good. I suspect this was a G6120W of some sort that was stripped of the finish (though really, getting all the black out of the G Brand must have been a pain). The tuners might be the originals but all the other hardware was replaced.

However, if there is no arch and the tension bar Bigsby is really needed, then all bets are off.

wildeman and Lockupyourfatdog like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I think its a heavily modded DSW because of no mudswitch.
    $1800.00....no, 1000ish...maybe, looks kinda cool but needs Gretsch pickups.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's heavily modified, and not to my liking. Generic pickups, reverse color G brand (why?), odd refinish, aftermarket knobs, odd headstock inlay, odd truss rod cover (2009?), string thru Bigsby (modded?) and the f holes look awfully large to me. It's as if it had been stripped for parts by a weasel and slapped back together using odd bits. It sure as Hell is NOT a prototype, and is far from being worth the $1800 they're asking for it.

Waxhead likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Too bad theres no photo of the back of the headstock or down the F -hole for the serial number ... would love to see where it was made :D

BorderRadio and Yukimajo like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Fake or not, it just looks wrong to me. Just MHO

Waxhead and thunder58 like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are a few reasons why I don’t think it’s a recent stripped DSW. First, no indication of a pickguard screw, though it could be filled easily and refinished. The other is the headstock. The truss rod has two screws by the nut, and I don’t see them or signs of filling on the veneer. In fact, how could one remove the stained layer without damaging the inlay? If it’s one of those ‘layover’ inlay jobs, sanding would have removed it completely. I think a new veneer with inlay would be needed for the same look. Can you even put a screw in that location of that truss rod cover on a legit DSW?

I agree, we need more info, back of the headstock. Oblique shots. I found no evidence for a sticker in the f-hole, but it is a crap compressed photo.

bluenote23 likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its a Terada 6120 DSW, I'd bet on it.

reverb11, Mudshark and thunder58 like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Dunno bout weasled, looks like somebody had an idea. At least one of the pickups looks like a Duncan phat cat.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That thing would be re-painted and turned into a Wildeman RHH in a week if i ended up widit.

13. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    If it's a mod, whoever did it mystifies me! Why take such a distinctive guitar and make it so much like a million other humbucker-equipped hollowbodies?

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    hey , email the guy and find out what's with it ..... lol . ya know what ... maybe I will :p

15. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Yeah, go for it! I'm honestly too slammed at work to get into it. Since there's a tag on it, I'm guessing it's some small music shop.

thunder58 likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Smells too fishy for my taste...

mschafft, wabash slim and thunder58 like this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    later tonight ... I'll keep you all posted

CaliforniaSlim and BorderRadio like this.
  18. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Excellent observations. To me, the steerhead logo looks like the decal was just stuck onto the wood but if there's a second screw on that truss rod cover it's going right into the groove for the rod. This groove should be visible around the end and sides of the cover but, at least in that bad photo, does not appear to be there.

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Same thought.
    The headstock and f-holes shape looks pretty much like my 1989.
    At that time they weren’t exactly pristine to respect the original specs.

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought it might be a pre-FMIC, but the inlay doesn't have the gun. Dunno when that was eliminated, or the history on that but worth considering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice