Family photo shoot

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Me too. I was out to get a g5435 in Fairlane Blue but wound up with the Broadway Jade, the color of which reminds me of neither Broadway nor jade lol.

MKunie and rockinforJesus like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks. The two red ones are very light as semi hollow mahogany body, similar to a Japanese Jet I once owned in weight. The white swamp ash (mahogany neck) is noticeably heavier than mahogany when picking it up but lighter than a solid body. My only scale in the house is an old rotary one and not accurate.

The Trans Red Vox way on the right is dead quiet with CoAxe pickups. Not a typical humbucker in a way. It has a coil around the inner coil. It uses either a tapped coil and full windings to get slightly different sounds with the mode switch.

The two Vox on the left have what they called Three-90 pickups developed by DiMarzio. It has three conventional (side-by-side) coils that are combined in various ways through a switch to create the different sounds. Two adjacent coils are combined in series for the ‘lead’ voice, the outside coils are combined in series for the ‘crunch’ voice, and two adjacent coils are combined in parallel for the ‘clean’ voice.

I would love to see Vox bring back the Virage but it likely won’t happen. They have this cyborg now instead. I really don’t get it.

5435686B-5175-4C38-9807-A482473C6DD0.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    G5422T, new6659 and rockinforJesus like this.
  3. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Love my Reverends and my Gretches! I've had 9 Reverends, 2 have been Flatroc's. QC has always been top notch and that Flatroc has TV Jones DuoTrons, which sound wonderful in the korina body. I have a Les Trem on it now, but am going to put a Bigsby and Vibramate on there to get closer to a Gretsch feel. The Blue Rick Vito is my favorite guitar...plays, looks and sounds great!

G5422T and rockinforJesus like this.
  4. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Good call! The Super Hilo neck/BT Filtertron bridge is a great combo. That's the stock setup in my 5620T, and it sounds fantastic.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  5. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    05ED7A2A-88CD-4EDD-BFE5-0A01D287C6C5.jpeg
    The electric fam lounging in the tiki room this morning

6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The new VI looks right at home and snug as a bug with the family

MKunie likes this.
  7. techjunky

techjunky Electromatic

Aug 20, 2011
    OH
    Ha, not actually brick. It's just poured concrete with a brick pattern, and the previous owner painted it to look like brick. But I love the look, and makes the basement a pretty cool place to hang out.

tdtom and MKunie like this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks Merc! I’m kind of feeling like a pig in slop right now because I’ve acquired 3 of these in the last 4 months after a long dry spell.
    It is a pretty amazing time for guitars. I was reflecting that all of the other guitars in this picture combined cost only $150 more than the black EJ strat that I bought for a fair price used.
    Granted they’re all import versions but I think I’m almost cured of brand envy now.

Ricochet and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice