Family photo shoot

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    You have a nice family! judging from your selection, I would say you definitely must have a preference for rockabilly type music! the axes all look great!

2. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Don't have a whole lot right now, but what I do have....... I love!!!

guitarcollection.jpg

3. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Those three cover the bases well. Nice.

4. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Much obliged.

5. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Wow, really digging the finish on that Lester
    Really nice family, looks like you have all the bases covered well

savofenno and shrews824 like this.
  6. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Thank you. It's a Honeyburst finish. I tend to like that finish better than the traditional Sunburst with the heavy red/tomato soup color. Yeah, I can get most of the tones I need with those three. Of course, I still want for others as we all do. :);)

MKunie, rockinforJesus and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  7. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The picture on the wall-Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash??? The pic of the guitars ain't bad either!!!! Nice collection.

8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    7F58987F-2D74-4502-8807-B092E92910E8.jpeg New family photo.

9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Rather 5622?
    Great appreciation, thanks.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  10. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I’ve been intrigued by the Vox Virage for a while. Good deals can be found nowadays. Not sure if they’re substantially different than a Jet, of which I have a few. Have you ever compared to two and what are your thoughts?

MKunie and savofenno like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m obviously a fan of the Virage. They seem to pop up for $1000-$1200 US dollars which I consider a bargain for a Japanese made pro level instrument. I find the 25 and 1/8” scale length more comfortable as well as the heel area. I’ve owned two Duo Jets but not at the same time as the Virage. I always feel if someone is looking for a Gretsch, Gibson, or Fender specific sound, best to buy one from the actual brand. The Virage is beautifully made and has a great sound if you accept it for not being one of the earlier mentioned brands.

That being said, there is sort of a chime to the sound of the Virage bridge that reminds me of a Gretsch chime, but it doesn’t sound like or feel like a Gretsch to me. But these guitars are very musical. The first Virage with the more unique pickups offer more tone variety between the pickup and mode selector. The second pickups which they called CoAxe are more P-90ish to my ears and it’s a little less noticeable switching between the modes of each pickup, but they sound great. The CoAxe pickups were offered on a Korean and Indonesian made solid bodies. The SSC-55 is Korean made and uses the exact circuit of the later Virage. More affordable but they’re getting harder to come by. I’ve seen a few sell for $500-650 USD last year. I haven’t tried a SSC-55 but in reviews I read the different CoAxe mode voicing was more noticeable in the solid body than the Virage 2. I’m not so sure about the Indonesian SSC-33. I’ve seen a few with cracks pop up around the nut. The pickups are only selectable in two of the three modes and you can’t mix the modes when using both pickups at the same time. The tone circuit is slightly different on the SSC-33 than the 55 as well. But they are the same pickups.

This probably didn’t help you much. Just depends what you’re after and if you’re open minded. Which we as guitarists sometimes tend to not be. I love my Virage and they’re staying with me, except for maybe the Virage 2. I prefer the neck shape and bigger frets of the Virage. If I sell the Virage 2, the white Virage is getting converted to CoAxe pickups.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  12. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    guitars13MAY2019.jpg There wasn't enough room on the futon for a couple others lol.

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great family, Scooter!

14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That is quite the spice rack for cooking up something good

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice futon! :D I like the Sherry, and what is that cool jazz box on the right?

savofenno likes this.
  16. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Alvarez AD65CE I picked up on a whim.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Here's my whole family (minus 2 Epiphones I recently purchased - A Johnny A Custom and a Les Paul Deluxe) and a pic of my Gretsches. Just sold the Corvette, but it was a fun little beast while it lasted! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rockinforJesus

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I love that Broadway Jade Jet
    Fantastic collection :)

19. rockinforJesus

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Nice! How is the weight on those VOX guitars? Are the pickups humbuckers?

20. rockinforJesus

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Really nice collection. Those Rev's caught my eye. How is the QC on them? I was looking into a Flatroc a while ago, but didn't move quick enough...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice