Falcon/Phoenix fret dots -- make 'em visible?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Seamus, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Debuted with a new band last night. First tune, fell flat on my face metaphorically. No big mystery why -- though I've gigged with my Phoenix before, it was never on such a dim stage. I couldn't see the dots on the side of the neck! It usually makes no difference, but this one particular part falls in such an unaccustomed spot on the neck that I go by the dots to check myself. So yeah, missed it, and missed it big. Ugh.

I've played hundreds of gigs at this point, so I was extra embarrassed I didn't anticipate that. But since I now know the dots demand improvement, I'm wondering how I might best go about it. Early attempts have rubbed right off.

Or heck, maybe I need glasses. :)

[​IMG]

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Try glow in the dark dots ( if they exist or have a luthier make them or embed them )

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Seamus and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I've also pulled the "I can't see" flub! It dawned on me that our band doesn't rehearse in the dark. Doh!

There was a thread some time ago where someone had orange and/or glow in the dark dots installed.

Seamus likes this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Had exactly the same problem with my Falcon.
    The black dots are very small inside the gold binding. If it’s a dimly lit stage or as soon as the stage lights hit the binding you can’t see the dots at all.
    I bought theses sticker dots in a stationary shop. Very cheap & last for months.. 251039E8-0EE4-4712-BC98-513D32A0FFB8.jpeg 946D111D-F17F-4B97-B911-31C8F5619679.jpeg

new6659, loudnlousy, NJDevil and 5 others like this.
  5. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I admire the simplicity! Maybe I can go with that plus some stick-on letters saying STUPID PART THATAWAY, NUMBSKULL -->

LivingMyDream and Trash Kidd like this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Or maybe you could customize your fretboard like Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Could totally see how that could/would happen. My buddy has a Phoenix and although it plays great and sounds amazing I lose my place on that thing quite often if we are playing something with several movements.

8. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Well, that settles it. Definitely replacing the Phoenix with one of those. As long as it comes with an amp capo.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    It's so obvious once you've had that happen that you'd think Gretsch might, oh I don't know, resolve that issue!

shrews824 likes this.
  10. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I took a tiny hss drill bit to mine and put red jewels in. Looks great but they’re only a tad better than the black dots.
    Now i use a strip of masking tape along the neck and draw huge black dots with a sharpie!!

MotorCentaur likes this.
  11. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    This

Attached Files:

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wasn't it Danny Gatton who put zircons onto the dots?

JC higgy likes this.
  13. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I like the look! Maybe guitar lighting systems are the future? :)

Maybe there's such a thing as glow-in-the-dark jewels...

By the way, what's an hss drill bit?

14. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    High speed steel. I used it between my fingers. No drill needed if they’re sharp. Probably devalued the guitar but who cares, it’s mine!!

MotorCentaur, wabash slim and Seamus like this.
  15. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    usa
    i like the red dots. functional and looks kool to boot :)

cowmoo likes this.
  16. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    You know, it's worth adding that I already hated the part.

Seriously -- this is the tune. Go to about 50 seconds in. Am I crazy, or is that melodic line one messed-up piece of work? Starts on the 2, wanders off into some kind of rhythmic briar patch, then lands on a 1, two bars down the line and re-launches. Feels like it has one note too many, and everything about it is counter-intuitive to what my brain and fingers want to do. But I looped it and finally nailed it. Then the fret dots got me anyway.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    On my custom strats I had the brilliant idea to put mirror-chrome-dots on the fretboard and on the side of the fretboard.
    That turned out to be a really idiotic idea because the sidedots "disappeared" when playing under bright lights. So I had the sidedots changed back to simple white ones.

18. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I love my Phoenix and depending on what you play, definitely see how this can be a problem.

I have it a little easier in that I solo alot, because of years of Strat playing, am used to the longer scale and in the case I get lost? I just look at the fretboard and the number of frets from the bridge is an instant help. I think I lucked out that way.

One song though that remains a challenge though is a Stevie Ray version of "Little Wing". I have to find my placement on that song more than any other and will always mess it up on the Phoenix....the song is made for the Strat IMO anyway.

19. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    That's usually fine for me as well -- I play a Selmer-style Gypsy jazz acoustic and a Strat, and went for a Phoenix in part because the scale-length is the same on all three. Guess I'm just not so used to it when I'm playing in A-flat. I mean, I'd prefer almost any key to that, but maybe that's just me.

NJDevil likes this.