Falcon binding inconsistencies?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Luker, Jan 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Luker

Luker Newbie

Dec 18, 2016
    Johannesburg
    Hi Guys,

Just bought a falcon jr and I have noticed along the neck the binding is fairly cloudy in areas. I want to know if this is normal or if the binding is lifting and could get worse? I have taken the best photos i can for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Doesn't look like its lifting, have you tried polishing it? Does it feel rough? If you tap it with your fingernail does it sound hollow?

3. Luker

Luker Newbie

Dec 18, 2016
    Johannesburg
    I dont think so yet, but there is a strange lip that I catch while playing so thats what highlighted it to me first. Maybe it just needs a bit of a set up...

4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That kinda looks like it's been scuffed, but I can't tell if the paint is the same in the same area.

5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    To me it also looks like a polishing inconsistancy in the binding.

j.s.c likes this.
  6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    My Falcon binding does not look like that. Unfortunately, it looks like they used a naff bit of plastic. It's just clear plastic over the sparkle backing so either the clear plastic is not clear or there are distortions in the backing.

You can try polishing but it strikes me that if it's a problem with the finish, then it would affect the blue part of the neck as well.

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    If the binding should be painted over with some kind of a clear laquer I would assume that it does not stick correctly on the plastic. Obviously it is bonding correctly with the blue colour.
    A saw this phenomenon on a black Jet where the black drum-wrap-top has been painted with clear laquer. There were dull areas on it because the laquer lifted a bit off the drum-wrap.
    That would be a bummer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice