Extravagant new member here!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Cassotto, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Hello everyone!

I'm from Spain, and as of today I'm the proud owner of a Gretsch 6128T Duo Jet George Harrison Signature guitar.

If I said I'm extravagant, it is because I've got this very expensive (at least for me) guitar when I already had another one, and I can hardly play. The explanation behind this decision is long and convoluted, and it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I've got the guitar, that I want to learn to play it properly, and that it really feels comfortable to me. I had always dreamt with this guitar ever since it came out, but I'd always thought it would only be castles in the air for me.

I've got another electric guitar, a lovely orange DeArmond T400 I got very cheap in a sale at the time it was discontinued, one of the best purchases in my life. When I bought it, in 2001, I started playing it at home, and attended guitar lessons for about four years, but I didn't feel I was learning much, and I quit. Since then I haven't played much. Probably the teacher's approach wasn't the right one, since -and I didn't realise this at the time- he didn't even ask me what sort of music I liked or where I wanted to go with the guitar, and I felt I was going nowhere.

But now things are going to change. With my holidays starting in a week, I want to devote them to playing and to learning as much as possible.

I've only got the guitar for one afternoon and, as Ringo said, I've already got blisters on my fingers. So I've already gone through (at least part of) the bad part!

See you over here!

KuKuKu, speedicut, Groutsch and 12 others like this.
  2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to G-T and congretschulations on the George Harrisob Duo Jet. I can imagine it makes you want to play the guitar.
    Also we love pictures over here.

Cassotto likes this.
  3. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Welcome Cassotto
    Two very fine guitars for a beginner especially. What do you plug into? If you say Boogie or Rivera you are a step past extravagant.

Cassotto likes this.
  4. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain

Thanks! No, I won't say that. The DeArmond, cheap as it was, took almost all my savings, and I hadn't realised I'd need an amp until the guy at the shop told me so, so I bought the cheapest one they had, a Fender Frontman 15R with a small hole on the top. I found it to be so noisy that I've hardly ever used it, mainly because the DeArmond can be played acoustically. It doesn's sound as loud as an acoustic guitar, but that's good news when you have family and neighbours around.

Very recently, I've got a Peavey Vypyr 15 as a present from someone who had found out that guitars weren't his cup of tea. It came without the mains cable, so I haven't tried it yet. I don't expect much of this sort of modelling amp, but considering my lack of proficiency, it'll be good enough to fool around a bit, I hope.

I know, I won't probably be able to appreciate the Gretsch sound it all its glory, but I need to get better first, before buying a better amp.

5. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks! You're completely right there! When I've stopped, it was almost dinner time!

I'll try to figure out how to post some photo here. So far I'm just trying to find out how to quote others properly.

DannyB likes this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Bienvenido a Gretsch Talk, Senor Cassotto! Felicitaciones por la compra de la nueva guitarra! En que ciudad vives usted? He viajado a Espana por cuatros viajes! Tienes un pais hermoso! Si tienes algunas pregunta sobre aprendar a tocar la guitarra, estaremos encatados ayudarle en ingles o espanol!

Cassotto likes this.
  7. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Welcome to Gretsch Talk! I bought a Setzer Hot Rod and I am a hobbyist as well. It will make you play more, hence better! Enjoy!

Cassotto likes this.
  8. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    ¡Gracias! Vivo cerca de Madrid, en el centro de España.
    (Thanks! I live near Madrid, in central Spain.)

Thanks! That's exactly what I hope! The Setzer Hot Rod is a beautiful guitar, too.

DannyB likes this.
  9. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Bienvenido Cassotto!! Muchas Felicidades como nuevo dueño de una nueva guitara. I hope you spend many hours getting to know your new Gretsch. They are beautiful instruments that beg to be played.
    Plugging into an amp is definitely a good thing. You will discover a whole new variety of sound. I hope you enjoy this incredible community. Wonderful and very experienced folks are always here to listen and share their experiences.

DannyB and Cassotto like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Y tambien Cassotto tu no necessito lesiones desde una professor de guitara.
    Youtube es excelente ahora y gratis.
    Felicidades y bienvenido :)

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Cassotto!
    spanish mat 2.jpg

Cassotto likes this.
  12. Óla
    btw, that guitarist I posted of with the two neck 12 string/6 string from Pilot and later The Alan Parsons Project - Ian Bairnson - has/had a studio in Spain for many years.
    The George Harrison Duo Jet signature model . . . ? Cool.
    Welcome to G-T.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Cassotto and Gretschtim1 like this.
  13. Welcome. I think you and the duo jet are just beginning a long, beautiful relationship!

Cassotto likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . How about some photos of that Jet :)

Cassotto likes this.
  15. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Welcome!

Cassotto likes this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Willkommen.
    You did the right thing. If it is this special guitar that inspires you to learn it was worth every cent.

18. Donaldo

Donaldo Electromatic

Nov 15, 2018
    Newcastle, UK
    Welcome aboard Cassoto.

now get with the pictures please

19. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome!
    As mentioned, having a very nice guitar should give you a lot of motivation to play and practice

Cassotto likes this.
  20. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome. Cassotto, to the Gretsch Talk Forum. I too have a Fender amp, a Mustang 20W. You would be surprised at the noise of which that thing is capable. I keep the gain turned WAY down, the Master Volume on 2, and add just a hint of reverb. It sounds good to me, at least. Your Fender will probably do the same. Don't discount those modelling amps.

I too spent about a 6 months wasting my time with several instructors until I found my current one. He has studied all the genre of guitar music including classical, and I am now learning a lot.

Hope to see you around the forum,

Wade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice