Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Expert help appreciated on vintage 6190...

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Staffs Blue, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Thanks very much, I will. Do you have a contact on the Melita issue? My knowledge is so sketchy, I'll end up with the wrong thing, no doubt. If there's a pickguard replacement to be had, if anyone could let me know of any potential contacts there as well, I'd be much obliged. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Yes, I think it's probably from a later model, and thanks for the contact details.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lovely old geet sir!

Staffs Blue likes this.
  5. paddycarroll

paddycarroll Electromatic

I would kill for that

Staffs Blue and j.s.c like this.
  6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Based on the many documented Streamliners I've encountered (it was the model that got me started on the Gretsch addiction), this #12445, is one of the last from the last of the '53 6190-1 "Electromatic Cutaway" models. Somewhere close to #12440 the features evolved into what we know as the '54 model year, as did the model stamp which became "6190". So instead of being the last of the '53 examples, this specimen is one of the very first "Streamliner" models. This batch ended at #12449.

Staffs Blue likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    If any of you Gretschaholics haven't gotten around to buying Ed's books (Wayne Gretschzky here) you need to order them from Amazon straight way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Thank you sir! That is invaluable and hugely interesting information. I shall buy the book, without doubt - thanks for the help.

9. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Looks like that guitar I looked at last year.
    It Shouldn't affect you enjoying it. I just hope you didn't pay to much for it tho.

10. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Update - took it to a luthier today, and he advised that they were original frets, but in his opinion, they should be 'reprofiled' as opposed to refretted, partly due to the originality of the guitar being compromised further and unnecessarily, and also because they didn't need it. He also suggested that we leave the bowed inner 'f-holes' as they are, because it didn't appear to compromise the integrity of the guitar. I was pleased to hear this, of course - I've asked him to try and source a part for the Melita bridge, but to perhaps keep the Gibson on for now. It may have to be a repro pickguard, unless I can drop lucky. Although the pots have been changed, I still have the originals, and am very happy to keep as much originality as possible in this lovely old guitar.

As a footnote to today's visit, I did end up buying a 1953 Gibson ES-150 from him. What a lovely thing that is as well. I'm laughing all the way to the bankruptcy courts! :)

11. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    I probably did - £1250-ish, from memory, but I sort of fell in love with it.

paddycarroll likes this.
  12. paddycarroll

Let me know when you tire of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Thanks Paddy! I think it will go only if I need to raise money, which I often so, sadly. I see these darn guitars and can't resist - sold a Fender 57 reissue Strat in the week, and had meant to put the cash straight in the bank. Didn't happen - went to an ES-150 fund which I haven't got! The ES-150 is wonderful, but the Gretsch is just...so...beautiful.

I would certainly let you know though. :)

14. paddycarroll

I'm in the same place. Money on us guitars is a better bet than standard deposit account returns. And they give you so much pleasure!

15. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Thanks for the shout-out Dr. Milktruck!

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I tell my wife the guitars are investments all the time;)

17. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    I hadn't realised that you were Ed. That is seriously impressive work, sir. I have ordered mine and it's fired me up on more vintage Gretsches, as well as the new stuff. Thanks again - I'm sure there'll be more questions!

18. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Well, I haven't tired of it, but am having to raise funds to help daughter move house, so I have to sell something! I'm weighing it up at the moment, so if you're still interested, let me know and we can have a chat. No problem if you're not though, :)

19. paddycarroll

Ouch!
    Just laid out on a 30's cat eye synchromatic.

Can we chat? paddy.carroll@mac.com

20. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    Of course. Just finished polishing my Memphis ES-335 (lovely in cherry red, but the neck's a bit thin for me). Just about to start on my Country Club (Cadillac Green) which is lovely but has got a poor earth (I think). One of them's got to go, so I'm being brave and not too tearful. A couple of others too, maybe, at the cheaper end - Epiphone's but lovely quality. Will email. Cheers