Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ever install pickups with plugs?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by GVDobler, Apr 7, 2017.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's different though - low signal vs. relatively high current AC. I think it really depends on the connectors. I've had hard drive cables go wonky and need reseating. But I've rarely had a connector go bad in a car - and they have hundreds.

2. whitecloud

whitecloud Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    Thanks I appreciate it. I just found out the Blacktops are ceramic magnets and that has me a bit hesitant now. May still go that route if not HS FT's or TV Jones Classic plus, with the last two would want to solder connectors, the BT's come with plugs

3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Because heating metal in air is the quickest way to oxidise it. Part of the process of plating metal is to chemically remove oxides from the base material.

4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yes, but we're not heating it in air, we're heating it with flux as we solder which etches the metal and opens up the pores for the solder to flow in under capillary action without air to oxidize the joint. Bloom might happen later on the outside of the joint but that's irrelevant. IE, flux etches the lugs/wires which is why solder works. Cold solder happens when we don't heat a joint up enough and get good tinning of the joint.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  5. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Agreed, but not all (most) amateur tinkerers are very good at soldering. Think about how many use solder that has flux in the core. They heat the part, then present the solder, by which time... you know where I'm going with this.

Henry likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ah - I wondered if this is what you were getting at. Good point.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I'm not sure that the BT FT of today are Ceramic... Some knowledgeable members opened recent sets of BT FT and recognized AlNiCo magnets... I never opened one, so I can't tell, and at the start I believed they were Ceramic, but now I'm somewhat in doubt about that.

Consider the BT FT as "slightly less bright, a bit more dirty" than the HS FT, or something like a "Gibson-ey PAF meets a HS FT". Nonetheless, these are good-sounding pickups.

A+!

8. whitecloud

whitecloud Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    OK thanks. You know when you are digging around Googling this stuff it's hard to keep track but I do try and bookmark urls and I do remember remember reading about some Gretsch pups being ceramic then they evolved into Alnico don't recall them being BT's but I bet your right. I've opened up and examine pickups and it is easy to tell what and how they are made. I can get a bridge BT with plug/connectors for around 40 bucks, just wait until next month when they come back in stock. Again thanks I appreciate you taking the time to reply

9. whitecloud

whitecloud Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    Thanks I did order a Bridge BT HT and it came with plug connector from Darren Riley and all of what you have said nails it. I create a separate thread here with my observations

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I transplanted the plugs from the stock BT Filter/Super HiLo to the set of Setzers and TV Classic +/Supertron set and the new wiring harness to make it more bearable to swap pickups in the 5655 (and to a lesser extent on the 5620). I probably would have destroyed the guitar in frustration trying to fish everything all the way through the pickup cavities w/ each swap if I hardwired the leads directly to the pots.

I could have done essentially the same thing adding leads to the volume pots and soldering them to the pickup leads but the stock plugs have seemed to work fine for me through several swaps and both guitars sound great.