Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Ever install pickups with plugs?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by GVDobler, Apr 7, 2017.

1. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Just wondering, has anyone put (good quality) plugs on pickups so you can change them without soldering?

2. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Epiphone does it a bit, and GFS now has a plug and play system. I think either Ibanez or Gibson also have it as an option. Don't see why it wouldn't work, unless you're a tone cork-sniffer?

3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Guilds are plugged in too.

4. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    It works, but I'm not sure how worth the trouble it is. I used to want this, but ended up settling on a couple of go-to pickup sets and multiple guitars. While it's more expensive I got the same results.

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    My Gretsch G5622TLH Surf Green had factory-mounted connectors :

[​IMG]

This makes removal and swapping of the pickups nearly instant easy. But you need to find compatible connectors, of course. One of our member - sorry, I do not remember who or where - gave us in his thread the reference of these connectors and the Chinese eBay seller from where he got them, so I did the same. It allowed me to change easily from DC SHT to BT FT on this instrument.

I used these connectors with success on other guitar projects :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One drawback : they are tricky to solder and they can melt quite easily if you are not confident in your skills and soldering equipment, so stock a bunch of them, just in case... But once installed, no contact issue : I will use them on my next project.

A+!

j.s.c and alexanderfumble like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I think this is standard on all modern EMG pickups. Works without any problem.

7. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the replies folks.

8. whitecloud

whitecloud Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    So did your Blacktops come without solderless connectors. I have the 2 pickup 5622t and am mulling over replacing the bridge SHT with a Blacktop and notice they come with the solderless connectors though in a set of two(neck and bridge), thinking of keeping the SHT in the neck so may end up with the neck BT in my pickup box. How do/did you like the BT in the bridge and with gain as well? If all I have to do after taking picups out is just plug connectors together, that is a plus

9. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    I think PRS had/has a solid body that you can buy different loaded pick guards for, solder the input jack, tighten the screws on the guard and tune it up.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I cut and disposed of every connector Asian Epis(after 2002?) are using, and went oldschool with a soldering iron.

Plugs are strictly used for assembly streamlining.
    They could be a convenience if the colour coding was standardised among every pickup manufacturer.
    When you like to mix and match brands it doesn't work. Moreover it's a huge pain, since you have to figure out which wire does what before you dispose of the plug.

wabash slim likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    With no solder connectors, you'll always have the possibility of oxidation, thereby iffy connections. I can understand using quick connectors if you change out pickups on a regular basis, but, for the long haul, solder is permanent. When troubleshooting electronics issues on stage, the rule is to check the connectors first, as that's where the issues are 90% of the time. Compatibility between different makers is not a given.

12. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    The EMG electronics in the Strat in my pic in the 'latest guitar...' thread use solderless connectors.

Oxidation on connectors is dependant on what the connector is plated with. It's actually more likely with soldering.

13. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    My 2013 Jet, 5655, has plugs.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The BT FT that I had were without connectors, that doesn't mean that you can't find them equipped with, maybe ?

The BT FT has more gain than the DC SHT, and it's also less bright, the DCR being the same : circa 4.5K.

To remove the pickups of your G5622T 1st version, you just have to unscrew them and plug out the connectors, that's all.

A+!

15. whitecloud

whitecloud Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Pullman Wa USA
    Thanks for the reply. The Blacktop FT's I am seeing are G5400 with solderless connectors and under 75 bucks a set. Did find a place for just the bridge for around 40 but are out of stock. Reason for me wanting the solderless is for quick comparisons or it I wanted to put the SHT back in for awhile. If you remember where you got the Chinese seller for those plastic connectors I'd sure like to know. that would come in handy if I went with HS Filtron(no connectors) or even TV Jones though the latter wires may very well be different coding. I do enjoy the neck SHT and at times the bridge, it's just I've added single coil guitars than can cop the bright jangle especially lipstick and may want a fuller sound for more gain in the bridge position. That may save me the cost of buying another instrument.

16. spellcaster

spellcaster Electromatic

When I built my Esquire, I used RC pigtails for the pickup and the control plate

[​IMG]

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, I retrieved it - here is the eBay.com link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-XH-2-5m...900135&hash=item27e5516641:g:mNUAAMXQeKNTPV~2

This is a quite common part, sold by many chinese sellers. I advise you to buy a bunch of them, because these are difficult to solder (melting risk).

A+!

18. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I've been considering it. I wouldn't be any more concerned with oxidisation or other issues than I am with the mains sockets and plugs in my house.

19. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Back in the old days, I bought a brandy new Tim Armstrong G5191BK and it's got factory plugs. It also only has 2 pickup height screws (one on each side) so i assume i can swap in any old TV Jones set without adapters. I should try that some day...

20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    How so?