errr...would this be a Filtertron Strat Junior?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Jul 15, 2019.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Here's a picture of my Strat that was going to get two Firebird pickups, but I've had a tone pot put in, this guitar had only a volume wired directly to the TVJ Classic and it was too tinny and bright, and now it sounds pretty damn good, so I think I shall keep it this way for now. BTW, it started as a two TVJ Classic guitar, and with all of the wiring in there which must have had some increased capacitance the bridge TV Classic sounded fantastic...but it turned out too bright when I "hot rodded" it. Also I changed the trem block to an old vintage all steel one and I think that also made the tone brighter, I strongly suspect.

Anyway, now it's got a 500k tone pot, and my tech also put a treble bleed mod on the volume, and it sounds really good. It also has a split coil and the split coil sounds really great, almost like a cross between a really chimey low output single coil and an acoustic with a pickup in it or something like that..hard to explain but a very useful tone for sure, very unique.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Glad to hear the split coil TVJC sounds good. Enjoy!

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks great! Simplicity is best.

4. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I like this concept.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  5. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    What I would like to do is come up with a quick disconnect system so I could swap preloaded pick-guards easily without soldering. The guitar is routed for a H/S/H configuration so I would also like to have a pickguard with two mini-humbuckers or Firebird pickups, or two gold foils, p90’s, whatever.

On the other hand I kind of really like this “hot rodded” “country/blues shredder” Strat...sort of like a roots rock answer to the Van Halen Super Strat :eek: :D

Wozob, Merc and Charlie westside like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As some of you know, I am the one-bridge-pu-only guy here.
    I love this concept. It is totally liberating. And I love your Strat. Cool guitar.

7. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you kind sir!
    What single pickup guitars do you have/like?
    This will be my Strat FiltErsquire! :confused:

8. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Also what the heck..I wasn't happy with this project for a myriad of reasons, especially the production and recording quality, it was a bit of a train wreck all around, but if you guys are curious about what this guitar sounds like in a heavy funk rock project, well you can listen to some of this. It is totally not this forum's cup of tea I'm sure, and it is ultimately not my number 1 cup of tea either (although fun to play), but I think it is an interesting case study of how versatile a TVJ Classic is, and how it sounds with super heavy gain, at times fuzzed out, and a healthy dose of some effects. I recorded all of the guitar parts using this guitar on the bridge pickup only (it had two pickups at the time before liberating it to a single bridge configuration).
    https://www.reverbnation.com/bluenoteritual/songs

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Gretsch 6119 1959 RI, vintage 1965 Gretsch Corvette, a custom Corvette, three custom Strats. All with just one pickup at the bridge.

10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wow far out, that's quite a few and some interesting ones too.

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Having to remove and fit 11 screws from the pickguard sorta negates the idea of a quick-connect plug in system for me, but maybe you just brought up the solution yourself. No pickguard a la the EVH Strat! :)

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I like this 'cos it gets rid of the top volume knob and middle pickup, which I always find get in the way.

13. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Perhaps you need a Boaz One, which has exactly that.

14. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
  15. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Hehe yeah... but no! :D
    Well unscrewing and screwing in a pickguard is a small price to pay for getting a whole other tonal bag!
    Much easier than when I have to remove necks on Fenders to adjust the truss rod! :mad:

new6659 likes this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Yes I had the holes drilled right where I wanted the knobs!

And yeah that darn middle pickup injuring my picks!

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Crazy!

18. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Did you need to get the pickguard made?

19. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    It sure is one heck of a concept. I'll be interested to see how much they cost, although I don't see them selling very well.

Here's a much shorter video.

20. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I did! I had Terrapin Guitars make it with a rout for a Filtertron and no holes for pots. I had bought the pickguard a while ago and if I remember correctly it was around 45-50 dollars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice