EQ Pedal?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by DougWheeler74, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:43 AM.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Electromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I am looking to purchase an EQ pedal and was wondering what (if any) EQ pedals folks here use. Also any opinions on what and why would be helpful. If it is useful, the Gretsch lineup is a G2622 through a Fender Champ or a MOD102 kit.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Since you ask I have to retort with what do you want to accomplish? Live, studio or home environment? Budget considerations?

EQs are amazing sound shaping tools that can be placed anywhere in the chain depending on what you're aiming for. They can be placed after or in between pedals or in the FX loop for EQ correction or a volume boost, and placed before the pre amp or an OD they can dramatically shape the gain structure and add lotsa character and flavour to your tone...

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    EQ pedals are the ultimate tone control. Unlike a basic passive tone control, an EQ can boost signal, not just cut. On a guitar, you've just got a single high cut. A 7 to 10 band EQ is plenty for guitar. With industrial PA gear, we use 31 channel 1/3 octave EQs and a white noise generator all connected to a frequency analyzer, just to "tune the room". You'd use an EQ pedal more "by ear". It can be a really handy problem solver.

4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My older MXR 10 Band seems pretty useful to me, guitar or bass. Empress ParaEQ(+boost) likewise, although it's a significant chunk of change and I find I spend a good bit more time tweaking it since it's parametric vs. graphic. The latter is just the nature of the additional sweepable frequency & Q control of a parametric EQ though.

5. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The MXR 10 Band is great. Some are 120 volt though. (I think?) IIRC the one I had was.
    The Boss EQ's are workhorse's and are just fine.
    There will be limits on what an EQ can do for you with a Champ though. The cab size, 8" speaker and mid voicing may not be changed too much with just an EQ.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been looking at the source audio one, which has programmable presets, which would seem to be very useful for switching between guitars or desired tones.

7. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A 5 watt amp with 8" speaker can only do so much.

swivel likes this.
  8. DougWheeler74

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin

Good questions; I could have been clearer. This would be mostly for home, some recording, and occasionally playing out. Budget (always a consideration) is in the $100-200 range depending on abilities.

Ricochet likes this.
  9. DougWheeler74

Jul 10, 2019
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I love my Champ but it does have its limitations. I am new to the Gretsch world and do appreciate the collective wisdom on this as well as other subjects. My aim is to see what can be done with what I have without spending a new amp's worth of money. Although to be honest, another amp is always on the list. :)

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I use an MXR 5 band EQ pedal - they also make a bigger 10 band model.
    Excellent, silent and cheap EQ pedals.
    Both are much better than the Boss GE-7 which can be noisy with some amps.

A good EQ pedal will definitely add versatility to the Champ which is a classic one trick pony with poor EQ controls and no loop. You don't have one but EQ pedals (and all time based pedals) work better in a series loop :)

11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Look into Monoprice amps if you want a low cost tube amp. Great bang for the buck. For solid state amps, used would get you a decent amp for a good price.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you're new to this I'd stick with a small Graphic, so you don't spend too much time fiddling with knobs. The shape of the sliders acts as a quick visual aid in determining the effect of the bands.
    I have several EQ pedals(of which only the good ol Boss GE7 is still available), but if I was starting over I'd pick either a MXR 6-band or Boss EQ200(unfortunately slightly exceeding your budget). The Source Audio programmable EQ might be a good halfway point. The Wampler Equator looks mighty interesting as well but is partly a semi parametric
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pmac11 likes this.
  13. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Boss GE7 buy a new one Boss quality I own two for two different boards if I had a third board it would be on it. It doesn't get better. You don't know me, but I do. :)

wabash slim and Frank_NH like this.
  14. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I also have a Boss GE-7 and it's great. I like the fact that you can adjust the overall level (boost and cut) after adjusting the EQ levels. For this reason it makes a great boost pedal with the ability to shape the boosted tone (e.g. increased mids for solos).

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Source Audio one is $150 new and had 4 presets immediately accessible, and 120+ using midi. Amazon offers free returns (no cost trial). The low-ish price actually surprised me. I may have talked myself into one now that I'm swapping between single and double coil guitars.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Do it! I almost got one myself but decided I have too many EQs already.

I won't get the Boss either but just for the h of it check out the specs on the EQ200. It's stereo, and actually 2x EQs(2x10-band) in one pedal, one can be routed before the amp, one in the loop, midi, etc. Very impressive.

Henry likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The boss eq200 does look pretty sweet. So many toys, so little time.

pmac11 and Ricochet like this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    pmac11 and larryb like this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice