Eq pedal suggestions

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Outlaw, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Hi
    I am thinking about buying an eq pedal as my amp has very limited tone controls. I am mainly playing a 5420 fitted with HS Filtertrons.
    Could anyone recommend which eq pedal i should consider without spending loads of cash.
    Thanks in advance

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Boss GE 7, great little pedal for not much dough.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have never had an eq pedal but when I was looking I was almost set on the ten band MXR until some played a para eq and I decided I wanted a parametric eq instead. Oddly I still don't have one. Seems with several pedals and the amp's controls I really don't need one.

RG7X likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    pmac11 likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    MXR 6-band EQ is much better than Boss GE-7 imo.
    It's cheap, silent and powerful.

GE-7 can be hissy with some amps :)

pmac11 likes this.
  6. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    This is something I went through myself very recently. I have a GE-7 with a Monte Allums mod and it works great, but I wanted something a bit more of a tonal shaping tool. I looked at the Empress ParaEQ but came to the conclusion that while it's an amazing pedal, it's just too complicated for me. All those switches and knobs... too much. Then came the Tech 21 Q Strip. Same thing. Too many controls. I thought about the MXR 10 band, but then a watched some demos of the Wampler EQuator and loved what I heard and saw. I searched eBay and found one that was taking offers. I got mine for $100 and I love it! You get Low cut/boost, Treble cut/boost. and two bands of Mid cut/boost with sweepable frequencies. It really allows you to sculpt your base tone and tailor it to you guitar/amp combo so that you feel secure and ready to play. It sound great, has no noise that I can hear and is compact.

If you’re looking for something that is more than a GE-7 but not as involved as something like the Empress Para EQ, check out the EQuator.

If you want to jump into the future, check out the new BOSS programmable EQ. I forget the name, but it's part of their new 200 series. MIDI capable, presets, etc.

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  7. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Barber Barb EQ - it was specifically designed for amps with a single tone control, gives you treble, mid, and bass pots that act like those on an amp...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. Alanqa

Alanqa Electromatic

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I’ve had several but always end up not using them and selling them on. I guess you need to know what frequency ranges you want to cut or enhance and find one that is compatible.

RG7X likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice