Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by GJK1959, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    I sort of overcome the depth thing, if I like the guitar enough. I have a few 335/345/330/Lucilles and they're fine - also a 137 Custom, 175, vintage 225, 125 and 150, so I don't mind Gibson's too much. :) Just saving for an ES-5 Switchmaster from 1957, so all the effort's going into that at the moment.

I have a 6120 Chet, and a White (and Black) Falcon, so fairly used to the body size, although I'm only short!

I also have a few Fenders and I find them a bit strange after the archtops, but it doesn't take long to get used to them.

I know what you mean about the middle pickup, and the ES-5 will present the same problem - it takes a bit of playing round, but for me it's worth it, just to get those tones. I've recently had a couple of Peerless-built Emperor Regents and Broadways and sold them because they weren't getting much play, but regret selling them, so will have to find a bit of room for a couple more!

Ricochet likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I don't know why but i have an itch to do a three Dyna 5120 mod now!

Ricochet likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I want to turn the Emperor into an early fifty ish ES350, already got the SD P90 Antiquities.

4. Staffs Blue

Staffs Blue Electromatic

Jun 27, 2016
    Stafford, England
    That would be nice - I have a hankering to do a similar thing, but with a Charlie Christian p/u. Just playing the ZBD this morning, and since its set up and fret dress, it's a lovely thing - that triple P-90 sound is something special. :)

Ricochet likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are great pickups, i have one in my '61 Jr. I was thinking about a sunburst 5120 but i forgot about the Streamliner 2420, i think that would be killer with its block inlays. Oooh, three Surf 90's!

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I bit the bullet and put 3 pups in my 6120 (see my avatar). Gives for lots of variation but I still change stuff. At the moment I have a P90 in the neck and two filters. Thinking about going 2 p90's and half a filter each (switchable on/off) to the P90's for hum cancelling if required...I wonder what P90+half a Filter sounds like??

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I added a Gibbon style tailpiece and some mother of toiletseat knobs to my EZBD before I let it go, and added some underwound P90s too. Looked great, but felt like playing a truck.
    P1120234.JPG P1120235.JPG

Ricochet and Floo like this.
  8. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    The hum cancelling only sets in when the two coils are almost identical, as far as I know. So a rwrp middle P90 would be required to really cut down the hum. Soundwise it may be interesting, never heard of that combination before.

9. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    You're right - I didn't think of that.