Epiphone Johnny A thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by new6659, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM.

1. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I see an Epiphone Johnny A coming up for sale near me. I certainly don't need it but am a little tempted. I have always wanted a Pat Martino or an L5S Gibson but have come to my senses and resisted the urge. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

Ron

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:04 AM
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The Gibson version is the onlynGibson in have an interest in, but dont know they compare to the Epiphones, but I've read play and sound wise it is very similar, the Gibson just has more expensive touches. I really like the idea of a carve top.

new6659 likes this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    They're nice guitars. If you don't buy it let me know because I would be interested.

new6659, ruger9 and ronbo like this.
  4. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    The older ones had a Ebony fretboard vs the current Pau Ferro (Ironwood?), which isn't a deal breaker for me, but I love ebony boards! The few reviews I've seen have been pretty positive with the usual minor complaints about fit/finish and the Bigsby...easily solved problems usually.

Been looking at them since they came out and wish I could find one to play. If it was local to me, I'd certainly give it try!

new6659 likes this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I only had the Gibson model in my hands and it was awesome.

Henry and new6659 like this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Thoughts? I WANT ONE.

It's a unique deign- full-hollow; it's got Gibson Classic 57s in it. I love Johnny's tone on the album ""Get Inside" (which is the Gibson). I've read nothing but RAVES about the Epi version. If I had the cash I would have bought one already.

new6659 likes this.
  7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    It better be for $5000-$8000!!!

new6659 and loudnlousy like this.
  8. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I hear the break angle with the Bigsby maes it almost impossible to stay in tune. Ive sold a lot of Biggsfix to Johnny A. Guys. I stumbled on a forum and was surprised at how many times Biggsfix was mentioned.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    You mean the Gibson's? I thought the Epi version just came out last year?
    I've wondered if they tend to be neck heavy...?

10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    That's interesting, and I have read about that on other forums too... on one of them, maybe it was The Gear Page, Johnny himself checked in and said he had no problems keeping it in tune...?

11. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    One thing that makes me want one is the 25.5 scale!

ruger9 likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like them.

I'd like 'em more if I could play like Johnny A.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ

YES YES YES YES YES

swivel likes this.
  14. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    The original Epi's came out with Ebony fretboards, then sold out pretty quickly and they've done another run (or so) that now show Pau Ferro in the specs. Probably just getting on board with using more sustainable and cheaper woods. I've been looking online for awhile for one with ebony, but I rarely see these for sale used.

I rarely get excited about Epiphone's, but recently purchased a 1999 LP Deluxe with mini-humbuckers and am quite impressed with the playability and the sound of the mini-hums. Pretty quickly has become one of my steady players! It's the only LP-style guitar I've ever owned. The Johnny A is quite similar in styling to my Reverend Manta Ray, but I'd still like to get my hands on one to check it out!

swivel likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well, he does make money off em, not that I'm accusing him of fraud or anything.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Oh no, I'm not implying that.... just weird that I have read so many stories on the forums about tuning issues, but Johnny doesn't have any... at least not with his Gibson versions; I have to wonder if maybe with the Epi versions it's not the break angle (because that should be the same as the Gibson versions) but something like the nut? Or even the fretwork? Import guitars can be notorious for less-than-ideally-cut nuts & less-than-perfect fretwork...

17. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Just think if the biggest part of being a great player was stumbling on that 1 in a million great instrument. I’m convinced that out of a pile of a hundred of the identical guitar, one of them MIGHT have “the magic”.

Les Pedals likes this.
  18. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Now that this thread has got me gassing over one of these again, I did find out that the new 2019 version have gone back to the ebony fretboard! There may be one of these in my future...I do have a couple of guitars I could sell that I'm not playing that much...hmmm....

new6659 likes this.
  19. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    when these first came out (or at least when I first became aware of them) I desperately wanted one. Never could find one to try out, and ultimately forgot about it...

aaaand now we're back to desperately wonting one again. I'm beginning to think I might be suggestible!

new6659 and radd like this.