Elvis with a Gretsch in 1970 doing "Little Sister"....

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Butch Ammon, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    What model Gretsch is this, that Elvis is playing in 1970? The video will eventually show him getting handed a double cut Gretsch, and he has volume troubles, but the roadies get it fixed quickly enough...

I totally agree with the famous quote from John Lennon when he said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing!" :cool:

Parttime, gtttrrr, MKunie and 3 others like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Country Gent.

ZackyDog and Butch Ammon like this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

MKunie, benjwri, DannyB and 2 others like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I dig how Elvis wasn't afraid for his guitar to be BIG in the mix, he was a solid rhythm player. Too many singers that play are buried to where the guitar is just jewelry.

dlew919, MKunie, DannyB and 1 other person like this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Not bad for a little o Mississippi boy.

MKunie, DannyB and Butch Ammon like this.
  6. Can’t believe they dont have a signature model.

7. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    ......and my folks said he'd never go anywhere! That's the generation gap for ya.

MKunie, johnny g and Butch Ammon like this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My toddler went to take swimming lessons recently from a friend. He asked my son what music he wanted to hear (trying to make it fun) and was astounded when the three year old said Elvis. He prefers 50’s Elvis but listens to 60’s Elvis as well.

ZackyDog, Gregor, MKunie and 2 others like this.
  9. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    my 11 year old grandson is a Elvis fan

Gregor, MKunie, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  10. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Elvis is and will always be legendary. He's "The King"... :D

However, going back to the 50's where it all began, some of the guitar licks that Scotty Moore invented are equally legendary! :cool:

11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wish he would’ve kept Scotty on after the 68 Comeback Special for some new material. I’m not sure why he didn’t.

Paul in Colorado and Butch Ammon like this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

I didn't know it was auctioned off. I thought the estate still had it.

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, he did have James Burton in his band. But, yes, I'd have liked to hear Scotty do something with him again.

Merc likes this.
  16. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Scotty had moved on and the tcbs were pretty much the band elvis used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm assuming you know that in the extended version of this very clip, they start to play Get Back...:)

dlew919 likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I just read the below from a Rolling Stone interview with Scotty. He says it came down to the bottom line. I also previously had read Elvis wanted to do Europe really bad. But the Colonel held him back from it. I believe it came out years later that the Colonel was an illegal and really held Dutch citizenship. He was paranoid of getting caught if traveling outside the US and being unable to return.

Not too long after Elvis’ ’68 Comeback Special, you stopped playing guitar for nearly twenty-five years. What did you do during that time?

I already had a recording studio here in Nashville before the Comeback Special. And after the special, D.J. and I had dinner with Elvis at his house. He asked us if we’d like to do a European tour. We told him, “Sure. Just give us a little warning. We’d love to do it,” because I had never been to Europe and neither had D.J. Anyway, it never happened. The next thing we knew, Tom Disken, Colonel Tom Parker’s right-hand man, called all the musicians into Nashville and said that Elvis was going into Vegas and he’d like us all to come out and work with him. At that time, Nashville was at its peak in terms of being a center for recording sessions. On a daily basis, musicians were making more than what they’d make in a week out there in Vegas. So it came down to the bottom line. None of us went. I just stayed with my studio and hung up the playing side of it.

dlew919 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice