Electronic Gurus - Need Some Push/Pull Pot Help.

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by G5422T, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:43 PM.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Wanting to add a "mud switch" to my Phoenix. Also wanting to use the master volume pot to control this.

I really only want/need one position of the traditional mud switch, the full mud position.

I'm thinking of a push/pull pot with only one capacitor for the full mud tone when pulled out will do the job.

CTS makes push/pull pots with Single pole and double pole switch functions.

This is where I need some tech advice. Which one to use on a Hot Rod circuit with only the master volume pot?

Just want the normal HR circuit when pushed in, and the full mud tone when pulled out.

I've been looking at these:

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...s/Potentiometers/CTS_Push_pull_Pots_DPDT.html

Appreciate any assistance with this. I have no issue soldering, but I'm used to following a schematic or sketch! Lol.

Thanks, and this will keep me from getting my drill out and aiming it at that Phoenix!

2. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    A single pole will do here.

On the pots in the link (which are dual pole, but can be used just as well), you have to solder the cap from ground to "C1", and the hot - either wiper or the hot end of the pot, depends on preference - is to be connected with "1".

... if I understand it right that C1 is connected to 1 if the knob is pulled.

Sid Nitzerglobin and G5422T like this.
  3. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    You will get a better deal at www.tubesandmore.com Stew MAc is more expensive and charges more for shipping.

G5422T likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks Winnie. So it seems that I can do this project with a SPST push/pull pot.

Looks like I'll have check the mfg's sheets and put on my fake "EE" cap to see what goes to what.

Appreciate all the tips.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Wiring should be pretty simple only question is if you want the cap before or after the pot in the path.

To put it ahead of volume, I'd take output of pickup selector to the static/pole lug of the of your push pull ( I usually confirm which is which w/ the multi meter in continuity mode) & wire one leg of your cap to the other lug of the push/pull & the second leg of your cap to string ground.

Connect the volume "in" lug to the static/pole lug of push/pull & the center lug of volume to your output jack tip lug.

Run string ground to other outside lug of volume pot, selector switch ground lug, & output jack sleeve lug.

I can probably whip up a quick diagram for you if you need it, just let me know ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    G5422T likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    A big thanks Sid. Seeing how a normal mud switch is wired to the selector switch, then goes into the master volume pot, i guess that going before the volume pot would be the way to go.

When you get time, I would appreciate your "sketching" offer.

Would you recommend a SPST or DPDT pot?

Here's the two CTS part numbers that look like they would mount correctly in a hollow body. Got these numbers from the Stewmac link.

CTS# 4505 3866. 500K SPST
    or
    CTS# 450S 3911. DPDT

A BIG thanks again.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...s/Potentiometers/CTS_Push-pull_Pots_SPST.html

Or
    https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...s/Potentiometers/CTS_Push_pull_Pots_DPDT.html

7. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    With a SPST, it will kinda look like that:
    push-pull-tone-at-volume.jpg

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If all you want to do is the single value mud switch SPST is the way to go. Only possible issue I could see is that most of the push/pulls I've encountered are linear taper so it might be a bit different than what you've currently got (not sure if they use logarithmic or linear stock), but IME I usually have to try it to see if it will work for me when it comes to pot tapers.

Here's how I'd wire it:
    [​IMG]
    The mud switch will work just fine as DennisC posted too, I'm just superstitious about keeping the cap physically separated from the "hot" side of circuit unless I've got the push/pull up ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    G5422T likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    You guys are awesome and thanks.

CTS describes this pot as a precision audio taper unit. So, I guess that I'll have to find out how it acts when wired in.

Much appreciated.

DennisC and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Cool, that should be a logarithmic one then which is what usual is my preference for a volume.

DennisC and G5422T like this.
  11. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Log is it!

- hanging from hot cap: I usually avoid long cables hanging from hot. Nicest of course is to have everything that hangs (is connected on one side only) on ground side, that's right. It usually doesn't do much, hence fourway-serial-Telecasters, but can act as a hum antenna.

... made me replace the 2P4T in the Tele with a 4P5T.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice