Electromatic with F-hole binding?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by charlie chitlins, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Rockin'Teacher

Rockin'Teacher Gretschie

Apr 4, 2010
    LosAngeles
    opps! i mean diy mod - as in "do it yourself" - yikes and i am an english teacher lol

2. alfiersed47

alfiersed47 Electromatic

Feb 13, 2012
    UK
    Guys, did you all use just the standard white pen for this? I want my 5120 to look more like a 6192 so been thinking about this for a while! What's it like long-term?

Thanks!

3. HatCityRambler

HatCityRambler Electromatic

Jan 26, 2012
    Connecticut
    Love it. Ill be heading to michaels in the morning.

4. Astrolux

Astrolux Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    mexico
    That looks very rad. Might give it a go.

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Speaking of Michael's, I was in there yesterday and picked up some dry transfer dice decals that I put on the back of my Pro Jet headstock. The decals were actually made for Pinewood Derby cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Vito electro

Vito electro Newbie

Mar 28, 2012
    New York City
    Which paint ?

What type of pen paint should I use? water based or oil based. I ordered a white pearl pickguard for my G 5122. The F holes will look good with it. I don't care about re-sale of this guitar. it is set up perfect. The finish is perfect. The sound works well, on Beatles, Rock a Billy, and jazz. This is a very sweet guitar. I'll never sell it.

7. David wiseman

David wiseman Electromatic

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    Just done this with a paint pen ! Easy and very effective ! image.jpg

8. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    I used an ivory coloured ZIG opaque paint pen from EBay

9. yankomr

yankomr Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Can you post the link to buy it?

10. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Very nice work

11. awfulguitarnois

awfulguitarnois Gretschie

Dec 15, 2010
    Ohio
    Looks great! Did you do the inside of the f-hole, or the actual face of the guitar, too, if that makes sense? I actually just did my orange 5120 last night. Wish I would have known about the paint pen approach. I did mine with Ivory Testor's model paint. I actually came out really good, but it was a ton of work. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Would anyone that has done this mod with an Ivory or Cream Yellow paint pen be willing to ship it out to me? I imagine its not being used anymore and I could purchase it used, etc.
    Just a thought.

13. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    If you have trouble with the paint globing up be sure you remove any wax or polish first. Paint won't stick or flow evenly if it has to deal with a wax buildup.

14. awfulguitarnois

awfulguitarnois Gretschie

Dec 15, 2010
    Ohio
    Okay, here's mine. Like I say, I used ivory testor's model paint. The color matches almost perfectly. Just slightly lighter. The big key for me is that I cut lengths of electrical tape into thin strips to use for guides. It's not perfect, and I want to do some more touch ups and seal it with poly, but it's not too bad for someone whose hands shake like a crack head.

[​IMG]

The other thing I did is that the pickup surrounds and risers were completely clear, so you could see the entire pickup opening. I happened to have a small can of silver spray paint that perfectly matched the pick guard. I painted just the top of each riser and it turned out great!

15. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    Here is the eBay item no. 131121580656

16. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    The ivory pen I used is EBay item number 131121580656.
    Only cost £3 and is perfect for the colour of the binding. The paint wouldn't stick properly at first as the guitar gets polished a lot, so I had to clean it with white spirit first.
    You have to build up the coats, so I started on the deepest part of the inside edge of the f hole and gradually bring the line up to the surface of the guitar. You can then decide how far you want to go on the top to get the right effect. (It's not far !)

17. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
  18. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    Is that a Compton bridge on your orange 5120 ? Thinking about doing this- is it worth it?

19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, David! Nice work, you must have steady hands!

20. David wiseman

Mar 13, 2014
    Newcastle England
    Thanks ! Have been a reader for a while and now taken the plunge !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice