Electromatic volume/tone pots

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Valente, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Valente

Valente Electromatic

Aug 25, 2016
    Overseas, USA
    Greetings,
    Anyone else not very pleased with the Electromatic volume and tone pots? I have a 5120, and although I love the guitar, I find that the volume only sounds good at 10 or at 0. Nothing in between. The tone pot seems to be even worse as you almost lose all your volume if you turn the pot down past the midway point.

Does anyone know what pots are in there, and if so, any upgrade/mod recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  3. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    5120s have full-sized Alpha pots. Some swap them for CTSs, some don't see the need.

4. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 Electromatic

Aug 18, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I completely rewired my 5122, put on a different bigsby, and put in TV Jones Filtertrons. I decided to use the pickups for a tele build and reinstalled the pickups that came with the 5122 originally.

The moral of the story is this;
    I used the TV Jones wiring harness with the tone switch instead of the knob and those original pickups sound much better than they did stock. Almost like the Filtertrons. If I were you, I would get rid of the tone knob while your in there changing pots. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, full size Alpha's in my 5120, still work well enough, no reason to change them. I really only use the master and switch anyway, sometimes the tone but rarely.

Outlaw and Gretschman2 like this.
  6. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    First, welcome to the forum.

After I put TVJ classics in my 5120, all the volume and tone pots seemed to become more useful, at least to my ear anyway. I'm still using the stock pots and have never had any problems with them. Unlike my Duo Jet's pots which I've had to service more than once. Strange, but true.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Stock pots are 500K and have a 0.47 uF tone cap if I'm not mistaken. I don't have a problem with the pots... I use the individual pickup volumes to match the two pickups (neck is noticeably louder than bridge) and control the overall volume with the master. The tone control does quickly make things muddy, but the stock 5120 pickups tend to be a bit muddy anyhow. I plan to correct that with some TV Jones pickups when I can, and by changing the tone cap to a .033 or .022; Filtertrons are inherently brighter than your typical 'bucker, and I don't think it should have the same cap value you'd put on a typical bucker.

8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Audio pots vs linesr pots. Audio pots drop off 70 to 80 % in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of rotation. All kinds of info inre on-line.

9. Yorch1

Yorch1 Electromatic

Aug 25, 2016
    Spain
    Hello Valente,
    Look I am sure your pot is not OK, my Electromatic pots worked fine, all of them. I replaced them because I always do, with CTS pots.
    Just buy an Alpha 500K and replace the broken pot.
    Kind regards!

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For the conventional 4-pots wiring harness, here's what I used on my G6119 2008 when rewiring it - see schematic below :

Master volume = A500K log audio
    PU volumes = C500K reverse log audio
    Tone = A500K + 22nF

Optional :
    The treble bleed 1n2 + 100K is an interesting addition, offering a well treble-balanced attenuation
    The 1n are more depending to taste : if you want treble bleed on volume pots.

All these controls are progressively spreaded on the entire pot rotation. The brand of the pots was ALPHA in 24mm diameter casing

[​IMG]

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice