Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Electromatic Hollowbodies and feedback. One more time!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rusty Silver, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Electromatic

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Hello everybody, i'm sorry if i start a new thread about an old (and well known) question, i've already read previous threads, but honestly i'm still a bit confuse: i'm thinking to buy a G5420 (single cutaway) or a G5422 (double cutaway and thinner body), both are full hollowbodies. I've never played one of the two (and it's not possible to me to try because there are no shops around here with Gretsch Electromatics) so i'd have to order without play... My three questions are:

1) I don't love to play clean, but i love to play with a bluesy dirty sound a bit "overdrived", and it could happen that i have to play in bar rooms on a medium-high volume... Could I have serious feedback problems?

2) Do you think the single cutaway, thinner body of the G5422 could help to avoid or decrease feedback?

3) Do you think it could be better a G5622 semi hollow body center block?

I play bluesy rocknroll in early Stones style, a lot of Chuck Berry and similar....

Thank you for any suggestion or valutation...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    houndman55 likes this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Get a centerblock double cut and never worry about it.

Rob Williams and Dave-B like this.
  3. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Yes, this is the third possibility, the G5622 center block semi hollow (I like the f holes model) but i don't know if the sound is as "Gretsch" as the hollowbody ... (maybe it could be stupid but i've always thought that if i'll ever have a Gretsch, must be a full hollow body.)

TSims1 likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Understandable. I've had Electros, Prolines, Setzer models, Dyna-equipped 6120's.....Jets(both Proline and Electro), 5126 AND 5127....two Corvettes....5420's......5122.......and now a center-block Panther. They ALL sounded exactly like a Gretsch. :)
    My Panther is hands down my fave Gretsch I've ever owned. It does it all from Chet to metal and all points in-between with no issues/problems/worries.

Good luck on your hunt!

Rusty Silver likes this.
  5. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    @Trash Kidd could comment, I believe he owns both the G5420 and G5622 and plays at volume with a bit of dirt too.

Personally, I doubt you'd notice much difference tonally between the hollowbody and centre block Electromatics when playing loud with a bit of grunge. Seems to me like the 5622 would be a good choice for you.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  6. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Man, you make me change my thread...

:)

TSims1 likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

To me it always starts with looks/desire.......and then immediately shifts to functionality. What elements make a tool WORK in real world conditions? Do you ONLY wanna play clean at lower volumes(generalizing here)? Then get a big hollowbody and stand in the right spot.

But if you want a guitar that can do it ALL successfully without having to concern yourself with it or adapt to the INSTRUMENT, then you're looking at a centerblock or the very least trestle-bracing. To me, fully hollow guitars with medium and higher gain don't sound good. They get really fat and fuzzy/fizzy. It's not a pleasing sound to my ears. None of the liguidy gooey tubey middle tone juice that I like to hear. And that's likely because they were never made to do that. :)

This is only MY opinion. :)

emitex and Rob Williams like this.
  8. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Of course it should be easier for me if i could try them live, but as i said before, i can't.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have G5422 and bought it because it feeds back less than the G5420.
    I play light overdrive to high gain mostly and don't have feed back issues on stage.
    5422 feeds back a little but its easy to control using good technique.

I use more string damping, adjust guitar to amp angles and then switch amp offline with tuner pedal in between songs.
    No issue with a bit of practice

I don't like the centre block models - too heavy for me and you don't need it imo.
    One of the few times I don't agree with Mr Sims :)

Rusty Silver and TSims1 like this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Just for the record, my Panther is pretty dang light, and it doesn't feed back at ALL which gives me peace of mind.

Andrew Griffin and Waxhead like this.
  11. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Or, buy whatever guitar floats your boat and google "Doug's Plugs" for a feedback solution.

No affiliation, by the way.

12. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

Hello Rusty Silver... wouldn`it be the best, to take a short trip to Austria ( spend that 100 €), find a bigger MusicStore
    and try some out ???? When you order a Gretsch without trying it out, you might will be disappointed !!!! And you `ll always ask yourself, if there had´t been an other, better one.... for sure !!!!! ;-)

Waxhead likes this.
  13. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

My cousin from Rome/Italy always bought all his musical stuff second hand or in Germany !

14. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Sure i'll try to find in other towns, but Gretsch is really bad distribuited in Italy ...

15. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    IMG_5177.JPG IMG_5285.JPG
    Hi!!

Yes i own both two 5420's & the new model 5622.
    I'd say go for the 5622!!!
    I love my 5420's to death but have to say the 5622 just a slightly better guitar IMO.
    I play Dirty, Bluesy, Garage Rock'n'Roll with mid gain..
    Not really had any problems with either guitar with feedback but if your going high gain to pure filth the 5622 copes the best.
    The Super Hilo's on the 5622 are VERY Gretsch sounding with I'd say more Gretsch chime than the Blacktops in the 5420.
    Good luck!

Waxhead and Rusty Silver like this.
  16. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Your informations are gold for me, thanks a lot! I'm starting to have some good experience to decide!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  17. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Very interesting report!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am a guitarist playing at ear-deafening volumes with mucho crunch involved (100 watt Reu-O-Grandes or vintage Marshall JTM 45). Any trestle braced Gretsch would stand up to the punishment. Imho.
    You just have to get accustomed to tame the non-microfonic (i.e.acoustic) feedback by muting with your hands.
    For me it is a plus. I can animate my guitar to howl and scream at my will. Love it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Rob Williams, Trash Kidd and Waxhead like this.
  19. Rusty Silver

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Cool. But i think electromatic full hollowbody (Like g5420 and g5422) are not trestle braced, right?

20. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    For low-medium gain feedback shouldn't be a problem. It just takes a slight adjustment to the relative positions of your amp and your guitar and you should be able to get feedback when you want it - Which is damn fun on my hollow body Jr. Ugh I'm getting tired hearing me say that lol but it's true. there are other threads here in this topic.

Waxhead and Rusty Silver like this.