Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Electromatic G5435 Pro Jet Black

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by tonyparnham, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tonyparnham

tonyparnham Newbie

Oct 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum but hope I'm in the right discussion topic area.
    I have just bought a new Electromatic G5435 with Bigsby which cost me £427 in UK. Although this is a cheapish guitar I quite like it and it plays pretty good, however I would like to upgrade the pickups, as I know from the Strats I've had that it can enhance the guitar.
    I would like to upgrade to a P-90 sound and would be grateful for any info on this especially if they would actually fit into the guitar ok.........but any other suggestions would be helpful too.
    Thank you
    Tony Parnham

2. oldtoast

oldtoast Electromatic

Apr 14, 2016
    London
    Stick with the blacktop filtertrons for a while - they're great pickups.
    Make sure you adjust the height to optimum - plenty of pages here that detail the procedure for these pickups.

There's better choices if you're upgrade crazy - bridge, bigsby, nut.

3. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome to the forum. I too like the Blacktops in the Pro Jet.

4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Tony!

I think what just about everyone here would say is to live with the current pickups for a little while before you change them out. There are plenty of P90 guitars out there, but a Gretsch with Filtertrons - even Blacktop Filtertrons - is a unique animal. As such, your ears may need a little time to really appreciate the unique Gretsch sound. Having said that, anyone - with any guitar - is more than welcome to modify things to make the guitar their own.

As to whether the P-90 would be a direct drop-in is not something I can answer, because I know very little about the dimensions of the P-90. I do know others will be along that can give you the answer, though.

5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    P90 is wider than a filtertron. Keep it Gretsch

stiv likes this.
  6. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Agree. A pair of good P90s will cost you as much (if not more) as a pair of Classic TV Jones Filtertrons.
    Keep that baby into the Great Gretsch Sound. Once you get accustomed to it, a neck Filtertron gets the blues no less than a P90.
    It worked for me.:)

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    You will have to route for p90s. Good luck, Pro Jets are great guitars regardless of price.

8. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Gretschie

May 17, 2014
    Dallas
    I'd keep and optimize for the blacktop filtertrons ... I did with mine. It's a magnificent guitar.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Tony!

welcome mat 10.jpg

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome aboard!

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to Gretsch Talk other Tony. Nice to have you. On the older Pro Jets, P90s were a drop in fit, I'm not sure about the Blacktop Filters though.

I love P90s and have a set installed in a Junior Jet II.

12. tonyparnham

tonyparnham Newbie

Oct 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi Everyone, thank you all very much for your replies and welcome. I will go with the consensus of opinion and stick with the stock ones.
    Your advice much appreciated,
    Tony