Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Electromatic CB Followed Me Home...

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by EvThoMcC, Aug 9, 2017.

1. EvThoMcC

EvThoMcC Electromatic

Aug 6, 2017
    Michigan
    Hi, all --

Somewhat accidental Gretsch newbie here. Have always yearned after a Gretsch axe for the better part of 15 years. Last Friday, walked into Guitar Center to buy some patch cables and stumbled across an immaculate Electromatic G5622T hanging on the used equipment pegs. Looks/ feels like it's basically brand new/ unplayed. Finish of that Georgia Green paint stopped me in my tracks for a few minutes.

[​IMG]

Went home, thinking it'd just haunt my dreams for the next few years, but my wife surprised me and picked the thing up for me the next day. Came with the original hard case, to boot. I'm madly in love (with both her and the guitar)!

Cursory reading tells me it's not the most beloved model in the Gretsch lineup, especially amongst the traditionalists, but my wife and I both love it -- I grow weak in the knees every time I see the thing, let alone hold it.

I do have some, uh, rather stupid questions right off the bat. I can kinda figure out some controls, but I'm having trouble sussing out exactly what knob does what in the lower portion of the body. I've tried searching what Gretsch says is an owners manual for the model online, but it doesn't seem to address the triple-pickup model whatsoever. Can someone help sort this big dummy (me) straight on what does what?

Also appreciate any suggestions on what sort of improvements to tackle first. Eyeing a Bigsby stabilizer, new nut, possibly a Compton bridge...at some point I'd also like to "liberate" that middle pickup switch from the other pickup vol controls, but we'll cross that bridge at some later point...

Thanks,

-Evan

blueridgeguy, CatTones, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Nice. I really really like this guitar. Have played it probably at least a half dozen times at guitar center. If I found one in the used rack at the right price I would..... be tourtured because I just spent all my gear Money on an amp.

Great color.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great looker, nice player when I tried one in a store. Congrats on the new axe!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats on the guitar and especially on the wife! These didn't come with hard cases but it's great to get one along with it.

EvThoMcC likes this.
  6. Mag3

Mag3 Gretschie

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! Congrats on the sweet guitar and the sweeter wife!

7. NickGretsch

NickGretsch Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2011
    Cornwall, England
    Hi Evan, welcome to GT

That's a great looking Gretsch there. Sorry, can't answer you questions but keep popping in here as there'll be some help and advise on the way :D

8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi Evan , congrats on the new found Gretchiness ..... You'll just have to take a day off from work and figure out all those knobs on your own .....:D

EvThoMcC likes this.
  9. MacStevenXIII

MacStevenXIII Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2009
    Boston
  10. hewstigator

hewstigator Gretschie

Mar 3, 2015
    brooklyn, ny
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats. That gave me a chuckle. Few years ago, there was a guy with a similar story going out for a sandwich! :)

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Evan.

You have a valuable lesson that has been reinforced: If it ever came down to it, lose the guitar, but never that special lady you have.

Congrats on the new 5622!

personatech likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Evan.

You have a valuable lesson that has been reinforced: If it ever came down to it, lose the guitar, but never that special lady you have.

Congrats on the new 5622!

14. EvThoMcC

EvThoMcC Electromatic

Aug 6, 2017
    Michigan
    Ha, don't I know it. I think it's prompted her to dig her mid-90s MIM Strat out of the closet and start playing again, too, so...even better!

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome, and thank you, hewstigator, for posting the missing insert PDF -- exactly what I was hoping for! Will help me get my bearings quicker. :)

blueridgeguy and russmack like this.
  15. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Welcome & congrats on the awesome guitar!!!

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Evan,and congrats on the new geet!

Love that green!:cool:

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Be good to her. Seems that she found a nice new home.

18. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's great! What gretsch will you get her?

EvThoMcC likes this.
  19. EvThoMcC

EvThoMcC Electromatic

Aug 6, 2017
    Michigan
    Ha! A great question, I suppose...

20. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Evan! Congrats on your acquisition!

21. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    Welcome to the forum!!