Electromatic Broad'Tron, Broad'Tron '65 TV Jones Classic.

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by mike77rios, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    What's the difference in the three pups? Would I be better off installing the '65's or are the TVs so much better? I'm presuming the '65's are a direct drop in replacement...

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I haven’t see a Broadtron pulled apart, so take a huge grain of salt with my magnet guessing. Somebody might be able to add resistance and inductance figures. I have nothing in that department except of course the TVJ Classic.

Electromatic BT - wide, Gibson-like coil spacing, probably a short 1/8” magnet. Basically a low-wind Gibson HB.

Broad’tron ‘65 - wide, Gibson-like coil spacing, probably a tall 1/4” magnet, maybe a mix or non-A5 magnet. Close to a vintage style “PAF” Gibson HB.

TVJ Classic - narrow, Filtertron coil spacing, tall 1/4” A5 magnet, a vintage Filtertron through and through, with some tweaks like compensated pole spacing and wingless, universal mounting. About average 4.4K DCR, and 1.6H inductance.

BT65s are supposed to be very close in tone/response to a Gibson HB, and I suspect the Electro BT is just another flavor of that as well, maybe with less clarity. It’s the wide coil spacing, and presumably higher turn count on the coils that make them less Gretschy.

TVJ Classics are the bright side of traditional Gretschdom. Narrow coils, so less length of the moving string is sensed, and low wind with a big 1/4” Alnico 5 magnet mean it’s tonally more like a single coil, but has that ‘filtered’ sound—clanky, chime, etc. That and kinda compressed, since it is a humbucker. Probably not as loud as the BT65, but louder than most single coils.

I’m sure with the rings provided, the BT65s will drop right in most hollowbodies. They will not fit a Filtertron surface route (like a Cabronita) though. Besides that, there are no aftermarket sources for the pickup right now. You’d have to wait for a used set—it could happen :)

Hope that helps.

jfassett likes this.
  3. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    Great! Thank you!

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    The BT65 pickups will be very difficult to find, however, they are awesome if you find a set!

5. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    Well, I just sent Gretsch an email request to purchase a set. We'll see what happens....

6. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I tried that early on with no help from Gretsch. I finally got a set from a member here on this forum, thanks again @jarrodtaylor

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    There are some really good videos on Gretsch pickups on YouTube explaining the differences and how they are made.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Links?

jfassett likes this.
  9. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    Here is a shootout on Filtertrons.

Here is a technical one which is quite good.

I don't think those cover your comparisons though but hope this avenue might help you.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Here’s a link with a comparison of the bt65 vs a filtertron

BatmansGretsch and BorderRadio like this.
  11. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    Well Gretsch finally replied and said no....oh well I'm actually bonding quite nicely with my 5220. It's a great sounding, good guitar, clean or dirty and that's really what it's all about anyway!

sh4rkbyt3 and jfassett like this.
  12. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    As much as I like the bt65’s I put in my 5220, I think the blacktops get a bad rap and are good rockin pickups!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice