Egnater fizzled

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by mbkri, Nov 9, 2019.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    My Egnater Rebel was ticking along just fine as the gritty dry undercurrent behind my AC30 with the wet sound from my pedalboard.
    Then, on a whim i started playing a dynasonic jet through it And it sounded AWFUL. Metallic, harsh, tinny, shrill, unlistenable.
    I bought it used in June so i wondered if the tubes were shot. Tried the “tap them with a pencil” test on the power tubes and switched them all out..... but now its dead as a doornail. Silent. Only the power light works. And the tubes glow. Silently.
    Fuse? Can it be anything else? And the awful tinny sound.... preamp tubes?
    Cant see me putting a lot of money into having this fixed. Its going to cost about $150 for tubes.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Start your troubleshooting with the preamp tubes first. If the light's on, the fuse should be good. If the power tubes are glowing, they may not be the problem.

Waxhead, Merc, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
  3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    should have started there instead of the power tubes i guess. Thanks WS. Getting a new set to put in tomorrow

4. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Go for the cheap and easy fix first. It could also be a cap gone bad somewhere. Even so, you'll have spare tubes.

Tony65x55, Merc and mbkri like this.
  5. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    How old is the amp? Google "Egnater transformer problem". Lots of stuff there. Best of luck.

6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Its a mark 1 version. No idea how old though. I will look at transformer articles and see. Im not AT ALL electronically minded so anything beyond changing Tubes and fuses is going to be done by someone else.

7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Wow. Seems like theres a massive amount of disgruntled Egnater users and rave reviews for Egnater amps that work like they should.
    AND a lot of people doing electronic tests that i dont know how to do. I might take this to a technician before i even buy new tubes. Sounds like theres the possibility for a huge range of solutions and Egnater tech support on a second hand amp isnt going to be worth trying.

wabash slim likes this.
  8. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Better safe than sorry!

mbkri likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I had both Rebel 20 and 30 mark 1 versions.
    No issues on either ever.
    My amp tech did advise me to increase the capacity of the stock fuse though to avoid future issues. It cost 50c.

Which Rebel have you got?
    Egnater tech support will give you advice if you contact them but sounds like a cheap fix with a good amp tech :)

10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I have a rebel 20 mark 1
    I think a trip to a good amp tech is the best route. I have $400 in it including the 1 x12 cab so if i have to spend another couple of hundred to get it sounding great then im ok with that. But if i try to fix this myself im going to spend 6 weeks tinkering and wasting my time and money trying this and that instead of playing the guitar, or worse still im going to kill myself by touching something i shouldnt have.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Loved my R20 :)
    I'm not tech savi to do anything more than tubes and fuses myself either.
    So I take to my amp tech when needed.
    I'd expect yours to be a cheap fix :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 2:42 AM
    mbkri likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I've owned a few Egnaters without a speck of trouble. I think the transformer issue has probably been "internet overplayed" on some of the forums. For sure, some folks have had the issue but I think you'll find that most folks have had positive experiences.

I certainly did. I'm quite fond of their products. Good sounding and reasonably priced.

13. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Not if it's the HV fuse that's gone, which is a fairly likely scenario.

mbkri and wabash slim like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve been interested in the Rebel 20 and 30 for some time. One of a handful of amps on the consideration list to purchase next year. This thread inspires me to purchase new for the warranty just in case.

I hope it’s an easy fix. Please post after they figure it out on the cause. Thanks.

mbkri likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Both excellent amps imo - super versatile, light weight, sound great at bedroom levels and cheap. I preferred Rebel 30 for it's extra features :)
    Both better than anything Fender, Marshall or Vox make under 30w imo

MKunie, Merc and mbkri like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a great point, to include the bonus of the second channel too.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Merc likes this.
  18. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well initial diagnostic investigations from the amp tech seem to indicate a faulty HV quick blow fuse housing. The fuse isnt blown but the contact isnt completing the circuit.....
    So that part is really cheap and hopefully will get the amp running again but also provide better, clean consistent power to the tubes. Fingers crossed. Should hear back in a few days.

MKunie, Bertotti, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  19. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Going with the tech instead of trying to electrocute yourself sounds like it came out for the best! Seems like he got to the problem right off, without costing a lot (I am going to assume for now there isn't more to it - and the fuse housing would have required a fix even if there is more)
    Kind of reinforces something my father used to say: "the difference between someone that knows what they are doing and someone who doesn't is the one that knows starts with the easy stuff". I don't think I really let that sink in - I always seem to do it the other way around :oops:

Hopefully you will be back making noise in no time!

Tony65x55, mbkri and Merc like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes agree and there's a shorter summery from Clint - "Every man's gotta know his limitations" :)

BrianW, Tony65x55, mbkri and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice