Educate Me :)

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Darren1982, May 13, 2019.

1. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Hi

Lots of pickup choses out there! Is there a link or anything so i can a read into what each pickup does and tones it achieves?

I have a 6228 Jet. It has Broad'tron 65 pickups.

With my casing can i swap in and out different pickups without mods? Which ones?

Whats the most versatile pickup for a Jet or combination. Going from Clean to mean

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Darren some of those questions (especially about which is most versatile) have a lot to do with what sounds good to us. I used to love a good humbucker sound, but then my appreciation of more treble in my sound led me to the Stratocaster single coil sound as my #1. Later, I found more tremble in a Gibson Classic 57 humbucker, then an Ibanez Super 58 humbucker. I was slowly moving toward the Gretsch Filtertron. I find the Filtertron to be extremely versatile (I originally though of as a niche sound). To my understanding is that the Broadtron gives more beef to the basic Filtertron.

I'm not much of a modder, so I can't really help with the pickup swaps, but there are others that can help there. If you give a little more information about what genres you play it might help folks give more specific advice.

Oh, and welcome to Gretsch-Talk!

3. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of pickup options out there. The classic Gretsch sound is generally either a Dynasonic (single-coil, lots of bite) or a Filtertron (double-coil, but with more high-end clarity and twang than a Gibson humbucker). Filtertrons are probably more versatile than Dynas. As @LivingMyDream said, the Broadtrons are darker than Filtertrons. Some people like them a lot; others prefer a more trebly sound. I haven't heard the new Broadtron 65 pickups, so I don't know where they fall on the spectrum.

If you're thinking about changing pickups, the first question to ask is why. If there's something you don't like about the sound of your guitar right now, the solution might be as simple as adjusting the pickup or pole heights, or trying out different amp settings. If you've experimented with that, and you're still not satisfied with your pups, it may be time to think about new ones.

For upgrading Gretsch pickups, many people will recommend TV Jones. Others would recommend Gretsch HS Filtertrons, which are quite similar for half the price. Some people like the HS Filtertrons better; others swear by TV Jones. I have one of each in a Jet that I'm rebuilding, but I haven't wired them up yet, so I can't be much help.

If you're considering TV Jones, here's a chart that gives a good overview of the options. The TVJ website has sound samples of each pup too.

Real_Pickup_Visual_2_1600x.jpg

Wozob, audept, thunder58 and 4 others like this.
  4. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wow the TVJ Supertron clearer than the Brian Setzer Signatures though? Do you guys agree with that?

5. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    thanks guys!

How would i adjust the pickup heights on the Broad'trons?

I notice my treble pickup has slightless volume so i could start by bringing that up or neck down a bit.

I play varies styles ranging from Clean funky, Gospel, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Indie and classic rock

The Broad'trons fit the bill? OR she variation of a Filterton?

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve never tried the BS, but theory suggests this to be true.
    Coils being the same, the use of blades(instead of poles) will generate more inductance, which allows for more treble content.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I’m not particularly impressed by the BS Sigs. The neck seems a bit dark and the bridge isn’t as good as others. Only my opinion, of course. I’ve tried them in a few guitars, and they sounded pretty good in only one of them.

larryb likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a modified MYRII with a Setzer Sig bridge and a Supertron neck and I like this combination, especially both pickups together.
    Frank x 4 007.JPG

new6659 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  9. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Well I was surprised to see the Supertron described as being being “clearer”. I had Supertrons in a Fano TC6 and I have Setzers in a Players Edition Falcon. Very different guitars, but I remember the Supertrons as being a bit thicker sounding, now that I think about it more, they were richer in the mids, higher mids maybe, and the Setzers have a clearer more articulate and sparkly top end definition, but with a thicker bottom end, lower mids.

audept likes this.
  10. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I like that big time!

audept likes this.
  11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I thought higher inductance gave a “fuller and fatter” sound, no?

Ricochet likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes, I was confused. Higher inductance translates in louder not just treble. Higher Capacitance also associated with blades, translates in more treble.

It’s interesting that the Supertron has exactly the same coilwind as the Classic. If you look at the charts(not just the one above) you’re able to determine the effect of the blades.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  13. MickeyB

MickeyB Electromatic

Jul 24, 2017
    Birmingham England UK
    I've tried the "Broadtrons" on the Streamliner series and I see the latest updates of them offered on some of the Jet series Electromatics. Have to say I quite like them, particularly on the large Jazz box. I'd say they are kind of half way between a classic filtertron and a Gibson-style humbucker. Warmer than the filtertron sound but still with enough treble to be Gretschy. Certainly they are a world away from the earliest pickups fitted to the 5120 electromatics that were a standard thick humbucker. Try out some in the shops - either on the Streamliners or on an electromatic. You can tell these from a filtertron or Blacktop - they look similar but they are wider and standard humbucker dimensions.

new6659 likes this.
  14. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    Yeah I did read they where very similar to a PAF but lower output. For me on paper they seem to a great pickup choice!

Do I adjust the pole pieces or the screw on either side the raise and lower the pickup?

15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Set the PU to optimal height first. Adjust the pole pieces for string to string balance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice