Edit: NGD! 1956 G6189 Streamliner, thanks for the help guys!

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ran into this one today and had to give it a spin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Of course the one pic I told myself not to forget to get (the label) was the one I neglected to take , but I remember the serial being 205xx.

Seems like it's possibly had a neck reset, a fret job, and maybe some binding repair(?) to me, but it was playing great and all the geometry looked good to my Mk I eyeball FWIW. Should I be scared off by the neck joint? Seem legit? What would you feel a reasonable price for one such as this might be?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks nice, i wouldn't trip on the neck as long as its stable. Everything looks right from here. $1500.00 give or take seems about going rate on Streamliner's.
    Nice Brazilian fretboard!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Streamliners have been in the $1500-2k range for years. I've bought a number of them over the years, and really like the model. This one appears to be all original. Does it come with it's original case (tweed or snowflake)? That could affect the price a couple hundy.

j.s.c and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The colour combination is very nice.
    Saw them on ebay classifieds over here for around EUR 1.300. So the USD 1500 and up seems to be the usual price.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Ok, thanks alot for the replies!

I was liking the feel, sound, and look of it quite a bit, but this is the first one I've encountered in person.

I'm not sure on the case, smelled like it was being stored in an old one at any rate but no mention on the tag. They're asking $2200 so I would hope so...

I'll have to check back with them and see how far they're willing to come down on the price. It just showed up within the last week so I'm guessing maybe not too much at this point.

Thanks again!

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There should be room for negotiation.
    P.S.:
    You should think about whether the neck-pu-only is a good solution for you.
    I feel that it is very limited to jazzy-music.
    I prefer the bridge-pu-only setting.
    That was the main reason to sell my Clipper.

7. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    These 619x are the best you can get for the money asked. This one has suffered a bit from a dirty neck reset, so I will take this into account.

$2200 with $350 discount to plan a immediat clean neck reset

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    These single Dyna Streamliners are not like that, they can sound very bright and strident.

9. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The tone pot (stagged) is versatile as it can cut both bass or trebles. It's also very balance in the middle.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Well, I went ahead and swung back by this evening armed w/ you guys' super helpful feedback, several carefully selected bits of trade bait, and my little Nocturne board and gave this one another spin this evening. It seemed even more like a "I need this guitar" situation on my second encounter and went through the arduous process of working the trade in prices against the price on the Streamliner. In the end, I came home w/ it w/ the price at ~$1900 and some fairly favorable prices on my trades (albeit still getting screwed in the big picture versus selling them myself, but aside from the Clipper I hadn't been having much luck on that front for the past year and a half or so and I was getting sick of looking at them). In the end, they got my '58/9 Clipper, my minty Epi Emperor Swingster, and my like new Guild S200 T-Bird RI and cash to make up the difference and I got this awesome Gretsch:
    [​IMG]
    It did have the cool original case in pretty darn good condition w/ a just the suggestion of authentic vintage guitar scent rather than the eye burning, nostril stinging sporefest the Clipper case was. Sounds like I certainly overpaid a bit, but after tonight's test drive through the US > MB > ElP > a Twin Reverb RI and knowing that I've got a hookup for a really well done discount neck reset should it develop any issues down the road, I'm feeling pretty OK w/ that and I'm really glad we were able to make it work.

It's my first chance at playing through a vintage Dynasonic and so far I think I'm in love. It seems like it will be pretty darn versatile for me. The neck profile, action, and resonance all played about an even part in hooking me as the pickup too. I never thought a pale yellow guitar could induce the kind of aesthetic lust this one did either, but the combo w/ the copper really clicked for me. All in all, I'm one happy dude this evening :D

I'm thinking I may want to try out my copper Compton from my 5620 and see how it works on there (the Melita seems to work great aside from throwing off my muting and pick angle, I think the aesthetic hookup would be pretty great looking too). I'd also prefer to have real strap buttons of some manner on it but I'll probably forgo that to avoid the new screw holes. Other than that, I think it's pretty perfect to me :)

Thanks again for the responses, info, and guidance, I greatly appreciate it!

Edit: Plugged it into the Z28 and Vibro Ric w/ the Mystery Brain set for slap, El Pescadoro set for a great drippy plate and a nice bit of boost, optical trem on the VibroRic set for stun and I think this is the noir/pasketti western tone of my dreams... Seems very nicely feedback resistant as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 11:26 PM
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very cool, conGrets. This is one of my bucket list guitars, color, everything. No rush for one yet :). I set up my modern SL with a push/pull that kills the independent volume controls—mimics your control layout. I could play all day on that neck position sound...just incredible.

Before you make me cry and remove the Melita, I’d get some flat screws, maybe some new saddles if they are too worn.

j.s.c and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks man!

On the Melita, I was feeling like the main issue for me was coming from the cheese grater bits under the screws, but taking a more analytical look at it I'm betting if the screw heads weren't so tall they would at least be a lot less of an issue. I'd never contemplated owning a Melita equipped guitar, any recommendations on where to grab screws that will sit (more) flush w/ the break point of the strings?

Edit: These guys pretty good?
    https://embieconcepts.com/products/embie-concepts-stainless-steel-flat-pan-head-melita-clip-screws
    The saddles seem at least somewhat reasonable too, w/ a lot of choice of materials.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 12:07 AM
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Great man, i don't really think you over paid if it spoke to you, you (the buyer) set the market on a thing like that.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    For the melita you have two choices :

1/ vintage or modern slotted screws (embie is the best place possible)
    2/ vintage brass low profile thumb screws (more difficult to find, but hey you can rasp, sand and polish your taller screws, nobody will call the police).

Here is what they're look like :
    IMG_8497.jpg

16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congrats Sid. Love that color combination!

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm inspired to pull my '57 out and fix it now. Its got a cracked brace thats a pretty intimidating repair but ive got some ideas in mind.

18. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Not to be pedantic but Jaguar Tan is a different color that was dropped by Gretsch fairly early on--I think in 1955. The OP's guitar is bamboo yellow and copper mist. Here is Jaguar Tan - https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/i...90,w_620/v1487181555/arriuq797hpugpb1h1k7.jpg

On the Melita, Billy Zoom used to sell a set of ready to go screws that would deal with the profile issue you are talking about. I bought that set a number of years back and it took care of the problem and the Melita is much more comfortable to use.

Great guitar I bought one in pieces and spent more than you did through restoration and modifications to get it exactly what I wanted, which is a 6120 with 6189 colors. Don't think to much about the price especially when it's a few hundred to get exactly what you want. Enjoy!

19. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Knavel is correct... the original Jaguar Tan is different than the Copper Mist used on the two-tone model (and the reissue models that claim "Jag Tan" finishes). Here's a couple of vintage examples...
    Jag Tan duo.JPG