Economics of Fender Blues Jnr.: Tolex vs. Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Flynnski, May 16, 2009.

1. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    Here in the UK, a Limited Edition has just hit the market for £100 more ,

For £100 more, you get a different exterior (i.e. Texas red, ‘tweed’) and a 12” Celestion Vintage 30.

But I can buy a Vintage 30 for just £80 or a Jenson for £100—and install it! Then I will have the new Fender speaker to serve as a 'spare'--or to use as a 'bartering chip' for some money off towards future modifications, new tubes or repairs.

SO Buy the tolex!

Does this makes sense or am I missing something here?

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

So...you're going after a Texas Red, or?

Sorry Bud, read it 3 times but I guess it's still early.

With the Bj's, the only differences I've seen are the coverings, handles and speakers.

The stockers have the Fender Special Design (Eminence), the NOS's (what I have and my favorite) are covered in laquered tweed and use a Jensen C12N, the new limited is the same covering as the NOS only uses the Celestion Vintage 30, and the Texas red's running the vintage 30 as well.

Speaker's easy to swap, so what ever covering trips your trigger is what I'd buy, and if your lucky your speaker choice will match.

3. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle Country Gent

May 9, 2009
    KRAPROOM
  4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Michelle, on this forum we're not allowed to umm by ourselves, but two or more umming is a different story.

May I umm with you?

5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

I'm going to do it anyway...

umm...

6. fjr_wertheimber

fjr_wertheimber Gretschie

Apr 1, 2009
    Austin, TX
    May as well making it an umm-ing threesome:

Ummm... I'm lost.

7. gigatron

gigatron Country Gent

Oct 9, 2008
    Slovenia
    Groovy...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF28Pghw13M"]Ommmmm...[/ame]

8. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I personally don't care for the Blues Junior, but if it's worth the extra coin to get the more "deluxe" version go ahead and do it. If possible play through both the standard and deluxe versions and do a side-to-side comparison, then make your decision.

9. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I don't like to slag the BJr because it is such a workhorse for so many people out there but I can't get pass the particle board cab. That and the money spent in order to get it to be the amp we all want it to be. I had a lil blonde sometime back and really didn't bond. I already had TopHat fever so no amount of mods were ever going to do. If I was granted a do over I would have gone with a Classic 30 instead but then again I didn't keep my Delta Blues very long either.

Just have to face the facts that I'm a shill for TopHat and my next one will most likely be a Super Deluxe 1x12.............or an Allen 1x15 Accomplice..............or a 1x15 Brown Sugar or..................................?

10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Gotta remember the Bj's rather economoical. Best $414 I've ever spent. Certainly they're more now and it's no DRRI, but I love it.

Attached Files:

11. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    1.Buy the £400 Tolex.
    2. Remove Fender speaker. Keep it.
    3. Buy a Vintage 30 for £80. Install it
    Total Cost is £480 versus £500 for the Limited, And YOU have the Fender speaker plus saved £20 to boot.

Or better yet ..spend £500 on an AC15?

12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Oh, you were just supposing, and have no interest in a Bj anyway?

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle Country Gent

May 9, 2009
    KRAPROOM
    Well, all that aside, I'm sure glad you decided to Umm with me Dafreeze. I would have sure hated to be in violation of the singular Umming rule. Hell, we should all be able to Umm in unison.

14. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

was a close call

be delighted to help anytime

15. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    "Economical" is one thing, but I believe to a degree that you get what you pay for.

Guitarfarm himself said it best over on the GDP a few years back. I'm paraphrasing, but the jist of his idea was "it's a shame to plan it all out, then spend big bucks on a fancy guitar only to play it through a cheap amp". Help me out here Al.

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be obnoxious or look down my nose at anyone for their equipment choices, but when purchasing musical equipment I don't see the sense in buying a White Falcon then plan on playing it through a Line 6 Amp modeler or something. IMO when budgeting for this type of thing maybe we should aim a little lower on the guitar end and a little higher on the amp end.

Again, no offense intended. I just don't see going whole hog on one end of the spectrum(the guitar) then complaining about having to spend too much on the other end(the amp) when they should go hand in hand.

16. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    For about the same price you can pickup a new Tweed clone with point to point wiring and quality parts. I am not knocking the Fender BJ, because they are a nice sounding amp. If you are good with a soldering iron and have some patience, you can save much more money and end up with a better quality product.

This kind of plastic hardware mounted directly to the pc board.
    [​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

17. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    I've bee saying that and living that for a few years now! Only if I could do something about that damnable guitar player. That's the weak link!

Thus the purpose of my Gutshot thread that was widely ignored until I started exploited women in bathing suits and such!

18. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    "For about the same price you can pickup a new Tweed clone with point to point wiring and quality parts. "

Hmmm. Given my budget is about £500 ($800) for an amp, any clone 'names'? 15 watts [tubes] is more than plenty for my needs.

19. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
  20. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice