EB Volume Pedal; Fixed a problem with a problem

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by blueruins, Jun 1, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I love the Construction and travel of the Ernie Ball Volume Pedals. Super solid and feel is great.

My problem is that they suck tone so bad I have to keep mine in a loop so it’s only on when I absolutely need it.

However, I was dialing in some acoustic tones with a K&K pickup this morning and noticed that with it in the loop, it filters out a very specific midrange frequency that was bothering me.

I think this will be an “always on” pedal for me when I’m playing live acoustic.

Hammerhead and Ricochet like this.
  2. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I know, they do suck tone bad. Not to mention you need a hand truck to move it in. I have a Morley optical and it sucks tone too. The best I have (for tone) is a cheapo, $20. Just a pot inside, nothing else. Go figure.

blueruins likes this.
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I remember recently reading about Michael Landau’s frustration in finding a volume pedal that didn’t suck.
    He finally had Bob Bradshaw wire something that worked the volume potentiometer on one of his effects pedals.
    Not sure if they ever came up with a more elegant solution.
    Landau was probably the most influential sessions guys in LA in the late 90’s. His live tone is among the best I’ve heard.

swivel likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    As Nels Cline said, "Degradation IS my sound."

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My guess it is is almost impossible not to have a relatively cheap volume pedal that doesn't tone suck on ALL guitars. It would seem that certain pots would work with certain setups, just like the appropriate volume pot on a guitar would depend on your pickups.

I have a mission volume pedal that I want to bring back into my chain for swells and more volume control live. I don't think it tone sucks, certainly less than any of my guitar volume knobs. They are active, designed to work anywhere in the chain without (with minimal) tone suck. Also made here in Petaluma.

Paul in Colorado and blueruins like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A simple single pot IS an elegant solution. I had a basic Vox version back in the '60s. It was bulletproof, always worked, small, and very reasonably priced. Single Pot, basic gear drive.

swivel likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Move the EB buffer into a small hammond box or fit it in the acoustic, and get a real volume pedal.

blueruins likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As long as it works for you: Everything is o.k..

blueruins likes this.
  9. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    blueruins likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah EB volume pedals are famous for this.
    I gave up on volume pedals 10 yrs ago for this reason - very hard to find a decent one and they're all too big and heavy anyway. Best option imo is learn to live without them by using your guitar volume dials :)

blueruins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice