Easier acoustic / lighter strings

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by gtttrrr, May 26, 2019.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Hey guys,
    My older beloved trusty war machine Washburn acoustic seems harder to play of late. I’m always working on major home remodels, since,, forever, and the old hands aren’t holding up like they used to. Seems like the last set of strings I put on them didn’t agree with the guitar —DRAGON SKINS 11-50.
    Heard a lot of you guys talk about THOMAS sticks? I wonder how much lighter I can go without nut work as well? Any input would be appreciated.
    Brian.

38AFBBED-EA2A-46EF-8349-D844F646D851.jpeg

thunder58 likes this.
  2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    DeArrio medium lites

gtttrrr likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I bought a Taylor 710ce that came with Elixir Nanoweb 11's. The guitar played effortlessly, and had sweet tone, so when I got my Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500mce, and it felt a little stiff with it's D'Addario 12's, I decided to change them out for the Elixir 11's. I'm not convinced that the coated string are the best for the Epiphone, but I do like the feel of the 11's better. Oh, and no nut issues at all.

gtttrrr likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I've been using D'Addario EJ19 .012-.056 lately and pretty happy with them . I'd be happy to send you a set for the asking . PM me with your name / address Unknown-1.jpeg

blueruins and gtttrrr like this.
  5. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Thanks Rich!! Appreciate the offer, but I’m needin to go lighter, not to SRV cables .
    Maybe it’s that particular brand,,, I usually stick to D’adarrio or Ernie ball,, and have always played on 11-50’s, but finding these tougher to fret.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    No worries

7. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    You should be able to go one guage lighter(or heavier for that matter) than the originals without any nut problems but any lighter could create buzzing problems, etc. 10's would be pretty light for an acoustic. I have 11's on my acoustic electric(which came with 12's) and had no problem and have 12's on my straight acoustic. You could just try a set of 10's and see what happens but you would have a shallower sound for one thing imo.

gtttrrr likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Thanks,,, losing the fuller sound is a concern,,, i’m gonna give 10-48’s a shot. May just be this particular brand is stiffer,,, who woulda thought Dragon Skin wouldn’t be smooth?? :-0
    4B0EDF09-1E6F-4660-9809-748BDEB2D204.png

9. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

If you should happen to try Elixir's, stay away from the Phosphor Bronze, they actually make my fingers hurt. Go with the 80/20 Nanowebs, those are my favorite.

gtttrrr likes this.
  10. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I'm using 11-52 on a couple of my acoustics for ease of playing. They seem just fine with those. These are not real big guitars though. Been using Dunlop 80/20 bronze and I like them . (I like to change strings often)

gtttrrr likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

You sure it isn’t time for a good setup? When I suffer hand or arm pain etc, I bring my action down loooooow. Makes it much easier to fret. Just a thought, and you may have already addressed that.

12. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I used the D'adds on my Wahburn WD40S for years because that was what came on the guitar. Then I tried some Elixir polyweb light 12/53 and I loved them. I don't care for Elixir electric strings. Best $14 I have spent, well maybe, nope best strings for my Washey.

gtttrrr likes this.
  13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, prob could use some tweaking, haven’t tried that yet. Did find some 10-47 extra lights, but love the sound of it with the current strings on, sure to lose some fullness if going that light, I would guess. I play 10-46 on some of my electrics, and 11-52 on my 5120, no problems with them, so ya may be right Tony, could all be that the setup has changed over time.

14. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I know your post asked about Thomastik strings, and I don't see any responses to that. Hopefully they will still come. Never tried them myself.

I have always used (and loved) Martin Marquis Lights on my acoustics. They are 12s, but they do make an Extra Light also. Great sound, no playability issues here.

As TSims 1 mentioned, you might also want to have a look at the action height. Make sure the neck isn't bowing and the bridge and top isn't lifting.

Freshy and gtttrrr like this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    +1!

Try Ernie Ball Rock and Blues-10's, if you want your acoustic to feel like an electric

gtttrrr likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I know Pyramid Monels have a thinner core, so a 11 set feels like 10. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    gtttrrr likes this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I put Martin Marquis extra lights on my Hummingbird and I love them. I actually like them for recording - less boom on the low end and they sound really balanced.
    I've used Martin strings for about 40 years on all my acoustics. I've tried just about every brand of string and keep coming back to the Martins.
    I did not have to change the nut - just a little tension rod adjustment was all that was needed. Guitars vary so your situation may be different. Doesn't hurt to try. The guitar is so much easier to play and to be honest there wasn't much volume or tone loss not at least doing studio work.

T Bone likes this.
  18. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Ive switched out all my hollowbody electrics to Thomastik 10's flatwounds and would also like to hear from anyone using acoustic Thomastik. Upon ivestigation they make a few 10 Acoustic Sets flatwound and roundwound.

T Bone likes this.
  19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    How is the action at the nut? I recently swapped out the stock nut in my 5620 for a Zero-Glide, and while I was expecting better tuning stability, I was surprised to discover that the guitar also became much easier to fret with much less pressure. I'm assuming that the zero fret lowered the action at the nut. If your nut is a little high, then a trim (or a new Zero-Glide) might help.

20. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    2 interesting Thomastik options

Thomastik KF110 S Series Classical Light Flat Wound
    38,31,34 are silverplated copper flat wound.
    10, 14, 18 are nylon tape wound.

Thomastik AC110 Plectrum Bronze Extra Light Acoustic Guitar Strings
    The. 010 and. 013 strings are plain.
    The. 016. 022, and. 030 are flatwound.
    The. 041 is Bronze Round Wound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice